F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

I'd say even half that.
If we mean like a few extra meals or treated out at a bar or given free merch, then more, a lot more.
But like significant money/cars/etc ( say $10k+ ) i'd guess in the 250-300 range.

We likely being culprits of multiple counts on our squad.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i agree, and was being generous with 500
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And if you open the NBA up, I think you loose the big transgressions.
And if the NCAA was equally harsh to every school, you'd loose even more transgressions.

You're not stopping the flow of money with likeness payments or bigger stipends ( and you'd be adding more problems in doing so ).
You're not stopping the flow of money with threat of punishment by coming down harshly on current offenders either ( and you'd be adding more problems in doing so ).
You might be able to slow it with either route.
We just disagree on routes.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Have you guys seen what qualifies as an impermissible benefit if you follow the letter of the "law"?

Jay Bilas, a respected and well know college hoops analyst, is on record saying how it really is... and if anyone would know it's him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 67479.html

“College sports is not amateur. It has not been for the last 100 years and it certainly isn’t now.”“I know that hardly anybody was eligible when I played and hardly anybody is eligible now.”“The problem is not the players and the problem is not the money. The problem is the NCAA’s rules.”
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:00 am And if you open the NBA up, I think you loose the big transgressions.
And if the NCAA was equally harsh to every school, you'd loose even more transgressions.

You're not stopping the flow of money with likeness payments or bigger stipends ( and you'd be adding more problems in doing so ).
You're not stopping the flow of money with threat of punishment by coming down harshly on current offenders either ( and you'd be adding more problems in doing so ).
You might be able to slow it with either route.
We just disagree on routes.
The last NBA Draft where high school players were allowed to enter 8 guys were drafted. It's not going to make a dent in this. It's just going to shift the money down the food chain.
Deleted User 75

If the NCAA wants to keep the rules as is and really prevent people from doing this stuff then when people get caught they've got to slap them with long term bans.

That means Self probably faces a long term ban. Are you guys sure that's really what you want?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the rules need to be laid out clearly before judgement.
Punishment X for violation Z - on a scale of sorts.
That's the huge issue now - no one knows what the fuck they are doing, inconsistent.

Right now it's like if a judge gave one guy life for manslaughter and another guy 4 years ( or even just probation ) for 1st degree.
Deleted User 75

Right now they can't catch this without the FBI....we can't really expect yearly wire taps and federal resources being wasted to ensure the schools keep all the money can we?
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am Right now it's like if a judge gave one guy life for manslaughter and another guy 4 years ( or even just probation ) for 1st degree.
That's not really happening now though is it?

The issue is some people deny and some people admit. The people that deny can't get caught unless the FBI helps.

The NCAA is not capable of catching this stuff 99% of the time. That was apparent during trials. That's not going to change.

Honestly, I'm fine with going back to normal. Self will get a new Gassnola and things will go back to how they always were. Except for SDS and a few select others that got unlucky that the FBI was doing an investigation at the time of their recruitment. It this was 5 years ago it'd have been a different Kansas recruit getting caught...I'm confident there are active players on our roster who accepted more money to come to KU than what SDS got. Probably multiple players.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 am
pdub wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am Right now it's like if a judge gave one guy life for manslaughter and another guy 4 years ( or even just probation ) for 1st degree.

The issue is some people deny and some people admit. The people that deny can't get caught unless the FBI helps.

The NCAA is not capable of catching this stuff 99% of the time. That was apparent during trials. That's not going to change.
You're amazing.

You want to argue so badly that if someone posts something that's inarguable, you just change the subject to make sure the argument continues.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

If you say so PhD. Have a good weekend.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Some of the money that the NCAA hoards would go into rules administration/enforcement.
And they would be transparent about it.
It's a tough ask but for me it's better route than just being NBA 2.0.
Deleted User 75

They don't have the authority to wiretap phones. That's how people got caught.

It is already the NBA farm system. Get over it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:54 am They don't have the authority to wiretap phones. That's how people got caught.
In this case.

You are aware people got caught in violations previous to this, right?

That the NCAA could be more consistent with their punishments is inarguable.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:51 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 am

You're amazing.

You want to argue so badly that if someone posts something that's inarguable, you just change the subject to make sure the argument continues.
Yes.
He completely ignored the center of the argument.
It doesn't matter whether people deny or admit - ( that happens in a typical court too ) - the judgements are wildly off base.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's true that the NCAA does not have subpoena or warrant power, but that's not the reason they are not snuffing this stuff out. The reason is because they don't want to. There isn't a big enough incentive to change the status quo.

Also, if anyone thinks guys like Devonte' Graham and Frank Mason aren't getting impermissible benefits in HS/AAU, then there is no reason to even discuss. Of course those type of prospects are getting stuff. This is extremely prevalent.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:55 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:54 am They don't have the authority to wiretap phones. That's how people got caught.
In this case.

You are aware people got caught in violations previous to this, right?

That the NCAA could be more consistent with their punishments is inarguable.
You can't be consistent in punishments if you can't consistently catch a large % of the violations. That's inarguable.

It's also in arguable that they're capable of catching a large % of violations. That was apparent during the trials. Laundry lists of players cleared who likely committed violations and played.
Deleted User 75

The players want more. They deserve more. Scholarship isn't their fair share anymore.

I hope our coaches continue to cheat and pay recruits, for no other reason to than piss off the naive rules lovers. They are stupid rules. We all know it. Zion should be at Duke playing and enjoying the college experience, while Nike pays him 75M for a shoe deal. It would make no difference.
Deleted User 75

How do you guys think Bruce Pearl feels about consistent enforcement? Watching Self and Miller and etc. basically have nothing happen to them when he got a multi year ban for less?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am How do you guys think Bruce Pearl feels about consistent enforcement? Watching Self and Miller and etc. basically have nothing happen to them when he got a multi year ban for less?
Wut? No, that's not true. You can look up the distinctions yourself as I don't care to discuss, but this throwaway comment needed a response.