Half Donuts

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Half Donuts

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:00 pm There are departments at KU that are telling the profs/lecterurs to be "sympathetic" and "understanding" towards students in the 20-21 academic year because of the odd setup due to COVID.

That's code for give ousdahl his unearned A.
Bro but I like totally earned that A.

see?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

couple Cs and a D too, but no B.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think not rounding up from 89.7 is pretty harsh.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Right?

Must be a disco fan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

But, you also gotta offer something, though. Extra credit, redoing an assignment, appealing your case on a test answer with thoughtful cited research, etc.

You can't just show up like a student of our household's that said: "Can't you just round it up from 86%? If I would have attended just 2 more classes my average would have went to an A. I have a law school application that needs to look good."

Wait, was that you??
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s another thing that I think kinda bugged her:

(Shows work: about 25 kids in the class, 5 speeches each) out of 125 or so speeches that semester, she took pride in only giving out 7 As total, for each speech. A real stickler.

And know what? I got 2 of them! HA! She didn’t plan on giving anyone more than 1 A for all the speeches, but here’s the thing: my speeches kicked ass.

One of the A speeches was on KU’s fresh young hoops team that upcoming season. I even brought a poster with pictures of the projected starters: Russell Robinson, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Christian Moody, and Sasha Kaun.

At the time I had an even bigger bro crush on Moo than CnB does on Braun. If she pointed to that and that alone as reason for a B, I wouldn’t have argued.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:45 pm But, you also gotta offer something, though. Extra credit, redoing an assignment, appealing your case on a test answer with thoughtful cited research, etc.

You can't just show up like a student of our household's that said: "Can't you just round it up from 86%? If I would have attended just 2 more classes my average would have went to an A. I have a law school application that needs to look good."

Wait, was that you??
Exactly!

Make me write an extra credit essay or something, I’ll do it.

I guess more than anything my complaint is directed at her arbitrary “discretion” bullshit.
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:50 pm (Shows work: about 25 kids in the class, 5 speeches each) out of 125 or so speeches that semester, she took pride in only giving out 7 As total, for each speech. A real stickler.

And know what? I got 2 of them! HA! She didn’t plan on giving anyone more than 1 A for all the speeches,
And why didn't you go to law school again? Sounds like your profs would've trained you well.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I did go to law school!

Long story short, I dropped out after they wouldn’t pass me just on tan lines.
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:25 pm I did go to law school!

Long story short, I dropped out after they wouldn’t pass me just on tan lines.
Should’ve gone to Yale. I hear they are into that sort of thing there.

Thought you just took lsats. Didn’t remember you actually going.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, one semester at Oregon. B minus average.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

What if the next grade below 526 was 508? Would you draw the line at 526?

I used to joke that how I round depended on how I felt about you standing over me with a scalpel when I am 70 years old! (My students were mostly pre-med and pharmacy majors)
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:37 pm No matter what the internet deviants and malcontents say.
you shouldn’t talk about lobs that way
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd make them write an 1000 word paper on why they deserve that .3%.
Then give it to em.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:54 am I'd make them write an 1000 word paper on why they deserve that .3%.
Then give it to em.
Double entendre?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
shindig

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:54 am I'd make them write an 1000 word paper on why they deserve that .3%.
Then give it to em.
I never cared enough about GPA's when I was at KU. Not that I didn't want all A's, but I was always pretty much a B student. I would get a few A's, some B's and every now and then a C. I think I still graduated with a double major in Accounting and Finance with a 3.24. I was happy with that. Some classes I "had" to take like Western Civilization or Organization Behavior, I put very little effort in, think I got a C in both those classes.
Deleted User 89

i finished my undergrad at KU with a 2.56

then, went on to grad school and got a 3.9 through both masters and phd curricula

go figure
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 am i finished my undergrad at KU with a 2.56

then, went on to grad school and got a 3.9 through both masters and phd curricula

go figure
Yeah, I got my MBA at UMKC while working at Sprint and I graduated with a 3.54 or something like that. Primarily because you only got full reimbursement from Sprint if you got an A or B. If you got a C, it was like half reimbursed.
Deleted User 89

shindig wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:25 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 am i finished my undergrad at KU with a 2.56

go figure
Yeah, I got my MBA at UMKC while working at Sprint and I graduated with a 3.54 or something like that. Primarily because you only got full reimbursement from Sprint if you got an A or B. If you got a C, it was like half reimbursed.
i know a bunch of people in a similar boat...got “average” grades during bachelors, but then did notably better with post-graduate studies

not sure what that says, but it says something
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I had a 2.8 something in High School. Did poorly on my SATs but did very well on my ACT. To the point of being accused of cheating on it.
My ACT score ALONE helped me to be accepted at schools such as Tulane.
My 2.8 put me in the lower 10% of my graduating class. 900 and something out of 1000 and something.
In other words, having a C+ (almost B-) average was VERY BAD in my High School.
Amazing how my learning disabilities were never diagnosed until AFTER I left KU.
Many teachers suspected and detected I had learning disabilities in grade school but I was never "diagnosed", I have little doubt I would have been a much better student in HS and college had they been.
So, in theory, do I have the right to blame the educational system I went through for my failures?