Green New Deal

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Green New Deal

Post by ousdahl »

I’d ask if you had a point, but I’d rather just save my pastry-argument energy for the donuts thread.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Just that she represents you well.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Like most issues. She has no idea about economics.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not wrong
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 pm Just that she represents you well.
I'm curious, is ^^^^ the same as me saying Trump represents you well?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

rhetorical?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:25 pm
not wrong
Yes it is. Raising the minimum wage to combat higher prices is not the answer. The middle class gets fucked in that scenario, they aren't raising the salaries of middle income people but when you have to pay minimum wage quality employees more it will raise the prices of goods and services.

I'm not that old. When I started working minimum wage was something like 3.85/hr. Now 25 years later were saying it needs to be 15?!?! Thats worrisome. Throwing more money at the minimum wage employee is not addressing the underlying issue but is contributing to the cause of inflation.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm
not wrong
Yes it is. Raising the minimum wage to combat higher prices is not the answer. The middle class gets fucked in that scenario, they aren't raising the salaries of middle income people but when you have to pay minimum wage quality employees more it will raise the prices of goods and services.

I'm not that old. When I started working minimum wage was something like 3.85/hr. Now 25 years later were saying it needs to be 15?!?! Thats worrisome. Throwing more money at the minimum wage employee is not addressing the underlying issue but is contributing to the cause of inflation.
So, you are worried about raising the minimum by 90%....using perceived higher prices as a point.

Are you worried about sealing of borders and adding to the price of goods in the form of tariffs affecting prices of goods? "Cause that is going to be a lot worse.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:37 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 pm Just that she represents you well.
I'm curious, is ^^^^ the same as me saying Trump represents you well?
I meant "you" in the particular sense of ousdahl, not "you" in the general sense of Defix and company.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

not wrong
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:39 pmrhetorical?
A question: If the minimum wage is $7.50, and a croissant costs $7, then how much does the croissant cost if the minimum wage is $15?

Show your work.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:52 pm

not wrong

So, you are worried about raising the minimum by 90%....using perceived higher prices as a point.

Are you worried about sealing of borders and adding to the price of goods in the form of tariffs affecting prices of goods? "Cause that is going to be a lot worse.
Are you worried about blowing up Saturn? 'Cause that's going to be a lot worse.

And every bit as relevant.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Indeed I am for raising wages, cuz within my lifetime virtually every economic metric has been on the up and up, except for wages.

But til then, I’ll just hang under the airport tables in hopes that maybe some buttery flakes of croissant might eventually trickle down.

And as for AOC, I’m not sure I can say much about her - at least without bumping the celebrity crushes thread.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

not wrong

I can't remember what minimum wage was when i was in college in the 70s, but what I do remember is that I could afford rent on a small apartment, gas, buy groceries, pay utilities, enjoy a movie a couple times a month or drink some beer, and pay for my full tuition at the university. now, forty plus years later, $15/hr doesn't even come close to covering all of that.

Edit: I just found out minimum wage was $1.60/hr, like making $9.45/hr in 2019.
Last edited by defixione on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Yeah, back then, you could buy a new car for 4-5k.
Rent was a few hundred bucks.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:15 pm Indeed I am for raising wages
Me too!

I'm just not for having government raise them artificially.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Right, cuz we’re sooo much better off trusting the free market capitalists to do it instead.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

That's not a rebuttal.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

It is a rebuttal given history.
DCHawk1
Contributor