DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Green New Deal

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:47 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:25 pm

not wrong
Yes it is. Raising the minimum wage to combat higher prices is not the answer. The middle class gets fucked in that scenario, they aren't raising the salaries of middle income people but when you have to pay minimum wage quality employees more it will raise the prices of goods and services.

I'm not that old. When I started working minimum wage was something like 3.85/hr. Now 25 years later were saying it needs to be 15?!?! Thats worrisome. Throwing more money at the minimum wage employee is not addressing the underlying issue but is contributing to the cause of inflation.
i completely agree, but until other mechanisms change to balance things out the minimum wage worker is living in poverty
That's almost entirely untrue.

faCts DOn'T maTtER!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I said conservatives were stupid talking about the economy.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Ah.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:39 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Yes it is. Raising the minimum wage to combat higher prices is not the answer. The middle class gets fucked in that scenario, they aren't raising the salaries of middle income people but when you have to pay minimum wage quality employees more it will raise the prices of goods and services.

I'm not that old. When I started working minimum wage was something like 3.85/hr. Now 25 years later were saying it needs to be 15?!?! Thats worrisome. Throwing more money at the minimum wage employee is not addressing the underlying issue but is contributing to the cause of inflation.
i completely agree, but until other mechanisms change to balance things out the minimum wage worker is living in poverty

faCts DOn'T maTtER!
um, it’s either untrue or it isn’t

the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, which equates to $15k/year

federal poverty line for the lower 48 is ~$12.5k

do you really think there is much difference in the standard of living between those two groups, regardless of whether you actually call it poverty or not?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:13 pm I’m not trying to argue against accumulation of capital wealth in itself.

If anything, when you consider how the accumulation of wealth works in Merica, and to whom it goes, I just don’t wanna be the one to tell the struggling millions among working class that no they don’t deserve any better.
Raising the minimum wage is not helping the struggling working class. That's my point. It helps the minimum wage worker feel better about themselves, but no real improvement in spending power. It fucks the working middle class. The upperclassmen remains largely unaffected.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also, do you really think the teenage employee at the froyo shop who spends 92% of their day on Facebook deserves $15/hr? Most working class - laborer types (non union) non minimum wage employees are making 16-22 an hour. That's who you're hurting with this push for justice.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:31 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:39 pm

faCts DOn'T maTtER!
um, it’s either untrue or it isn’t

the current federal minimum wage is $7.25, which equates to $15k/year

federal poverty line for the lower 48 is ~$12.5k

do you really think there is much difference in the standard of living between those two groups, regardless of whether you actually call it poverty or not?
And almost no heads-of-families work for minimum wage. The overwhelming majority of minimum wage workers are second or third household earners.

ETA:

In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage or less declined from 2.7 percent in 2016 to 2.3 percent in 2017. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979, when data were first collected on a regular basis....

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older....

About 6 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of full-time workers....

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimu ... 7/home.htm
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:13 pm I’m not trying to argue against accumulation of capital wealth in itself.

If anything, when you consider how the accumulation of wealth works in Merica, and to whom it goes, I just don’t wanna be the one to tell the struggling millions among working class that no they don’t deserve any better.
Raising the minimum wage is not helping the struggling working class. That's my point. It helps the minimum wage worker feel better about themselves, but no real improvement in spending power. It fucks the working middle class. The upperclassmen remains largely unaffected.
Why shouldn’t a minimum wage worker feel better about themself?

How does earning more money not improve their spending power?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am Also, do you really think the teenage employee at the froyo shop who spends 92% of their day on Facebook deserves $15/hr? Most working class - laborer types (non union) non minimum wage employees are making 16-22 an hour. That's who you're hurting with this push for justice.
How about when the CEO is making hundreds of times as much as that?

(and let’s not even get started about how much the CEO of Facebook makes...)
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:14 am
TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:36 am Also, do you really think the teenage employee at the froyo shop who spends 92% of their day on Facebook deserves $15/hr? Most working class - laborer types (non union) non minimum wage employees are making 16-22 an hour. That's who you're hurting with this push for justice.

How much does the CEO of Facebook "make"?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Let’s not even get started...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:12 am
TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 am

Why shouldn’t a minimum wage worker feel better about themself?

How does earning more money not improve their spending power?
Because a higher minimum wage increases the overhead of companies which then pass that on to the consumer thus negating any perceived benefit from a higher minimum wage. Basic economics. The business owners arent going to eat the higher cost of employees and cut into their profit margin, they will pass that on to the consumer. Essentially minimum wage employees will stay at/near poverty line but the mid range earners will be pushed farther towards the new poverty line.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CEO salaries are not what were talking about here. That is driven by the consumeristic nature of society. That's capitalism.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

not to mention the increase in worker productivity has far outpaced the (lack of) increase in worker's wages.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I thought you didnt want to focus on the CEO salaries.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If you think the realistic solution is to take pay from CEOs to fund the increased minimum wage then AOC is your candidate.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Or maybe we should disperse all salaries equivalently... ...

Higher minimum wage will jumpstart unsustainable inflation, followed by stagflation and eventually a substantial recession.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Equally not equivalently
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:25 am

CEO salaries are not what were talking about here. That is driven by the consumeristic nature of society. That's capitalism.
eh

that's greed