Mahomie

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Mahomie

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:32 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:22 am I think possible in nba, but I doubt in nfl.

I think Mahomes, et al. are going to have so much leverage that the union will get some sort of cap shift worked out.
I think they'll successfully negotiate for a bigger piece of the pie, but the cap itself is pretty central to the competitiveness of the league. If you were to do something like give every team a designated player slot, you introduce some problems. Maybe players you draft or signed prior to them playing in a certain number of games should be "discounted" for cap purposes, like only 80% of their contract applies to the cap.
We’re only like a year or two away from having 15+ QB’s making $30m/year. Something has to be done.
I don't disagree. And the league should be pretty thoughtful about how to handle it. It's true that the problem will take care of itself, because teams will learn (if they haven't already) that you just cannot pay 2nd-4th tier QBs that kind of money.

The problem is that the implied lesson there is that the only path to competitiveness is to have an alpha quarterback. Since the only reliable path to having an alpha quarterback is to draft early, and since the only reliable path to drafting early is losing games, if you let the market solve this problem you will inevitably encourage tanking.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/286 ... r-bowl-liv

"Mahomes was pressured on 40% of his dropbacks Sunday night. It's the 10th time in his career he has faced a pressure rate of 40% or higher. He's 9-1 in those games."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I read something last night that the leaguewide QB rating on 3rd/4th and more than ten is like 6.0. Mahomes is in the 90s.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am I read something last night that the leaguewide QB rating on 3rd/4th and more than ten is like 6.0. Mahomes is in the 90s.
It is an incredible stat under great pressure.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Chiefs gotta try to hold onto him for as long as possible. Considering his knee was never 100%, I'm glad he'll now have a chance to heal.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

How cool is it that we get to see this guy under center for the next 15 years?

I've been through Steve Bono, Damon Huard, Kyle Orton, Tyler Thigpen, Tyler Palko, Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell and many many others. While Denver has Peyton Manning and John Elway and the Pats have Brady, and the Packers have Favre and Rodgers, etc.

My team finally has that QB. MY TEAM DOES!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not unreasonable to think Mahomes could match Brady - they were around the same age when they won their first.

A more reasonable goal would be two more in his lifetime.
You can see the Chiefs being back next season b/c I don't think there will be that much turnover in roster.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I know this sounds ridiculous to say. But it's really weird about the Pats. They were dominant from 2001-2004. Then waited a few years before next appearance in 2007. Then waited a few more years until 2011, then they went on another tear with appearances in 4 of 5 Super Bowls.

They got 9, but it felt like it could be so much more if not for those lulls in the middle.

Man, I heard this morning and I nodded in agreement. The pressure for Mahomes/Reid is now off. Who knows what they can accomplish next. Not that Mahomes had pressure, but if he lost that game, then it would be wondering when the next one is and will he be tight and forcing things when he makes it there. Now he's already got one, at 24, and he won't be known as Marino. He's already surpassed him in playoff success.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:38 pm How cool is it that we get to see this guy under center for the next 15 years?

I've been through Steve Bono, Damon Huard, Kyle Orton, Tyler Thigpen, Tyler Palko, Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell and many many others. While Denver has Peyton Manning and John Elway and the Pats have Brady, and the Packers have Favre and Rodgers, etc.

My team finally has that QB. MY TEAM DOES!
From your fingers (typing your post) to God's (or whatever determines these things) ears - you will see Mahomes under Center (in a Chiefs uniform) for the next 15 years.

Kid is very special and Ryan Pace will forever get my wrath for being a dumb fuck and trading up to take Trubisky. As I told someone last night, Bears get Mahomes and there was a very good chance they would have been in the SB last season - and the Chiefs would be a .500 team this season.
Like I said earlier, Chiefs fans should be thanking Pace for being the stupid fuck that he is.
Can you tell I'm a tad bit bitter?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If anything, Bears screwed up because they picked the 2nd best QB from the ACC. If he watched film of Trubisky, he should have at least watched film on Watson from the same conference with the same opponents.

But whatever. I'm tired of Bears talk on my Chiefs QB talk.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Not clicking on that
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 104

Thing about Mahomes is that he is Mahomes -- a truly unique QB. He's got some Brady, some Peyton, some Lamar, but he can also do things none of those guys can do.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Chiefs passed on Gannon when he was clearly a better leader and gutsy comeback guy than the Grbac Bono types. I think he might have broken through like Oakland did. But, dues paid. We have a better, smarter Gannon, faster and much stronger than before. Almost bionic.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 104

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Let’s face it: we have Bird fronting for Jay McShann again. Celebrate every day he plays. I am talking a transcendent talent that has changed everything. A crazy improvisational genius. A multicultural morphing of African American, Native American and Middle American who can see and play like nobody before and probably ever again. It actually didn’t matter to me if we won Super Bowl so much as to appreciate the artist we have. We have reason to celebrate every game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At one point I thought the Madden curse struck again.
( I know Tom Brady had an MVP season but he lost in the Super Bowl )

Mahomes the only Madden cover player to play in and win a Super Bowl.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My wife mentioned that. Mahomes is other-worldly that way. Dislocate the knee cap. Badly Sprain the ankle. The dude is almost mythical. The natural. If he throws a ball that hits the lights and sparks them into fireworks, it would almost seem right.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

* Edit
Nevermind. I don't even want to plant that seed.