Mahomie

Kansas Football.
Geezer

Re: Mahomie

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

You guys really really need to realize what you have in Mahomes. I’m jealous.

Out of curiosity, any of you here think l (or would admit) that he wouldn’t be that good when they drafted him?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Of course, nobody that I know expected this kind of performance.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 141

Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 pm Of course, nobody that I know expected this kind of performance.
Sorry, ‘not be that good’ meant did you think it was a mistake to draft him. I remember there being quite a bit of back and forth about it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I was pretty happy we got him and hoped he could be a good QB. I had no idea he'd pull this off.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I am always hesitant to give up draft picks.
I think I was very much 'wait and see' if it was worth it.
It was.

( I also drafted Mahomes in both fantasy leagues the year he was a starter so I had to have some confidence in him )
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

The only doubt I had was from college ball. When we injured him and he left the game, their backup kicked our ass; thus I assumed TT's offensive success was mainly due to the system, not Patty.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm You guys really really need to realize what you have in Mahomes. I’m jealous.

Out of curiosity, any of you here think l (or would admit) that he wouldn’t be that good when they drafted him?
I don't think it would be reasonable to think any player would be this good.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. I thought he’d be good. Better than Alex, but obviously didn’t think he’d be a generational type of player.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 141

jfish26 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Gqcolorado wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm You guys really really need to realize what you have in Mahomes. I’m jealous.

I don't think it would be reasonable to think any player would be this good.
my question didn't ask that.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

How about did you think at the time that the Chiefs made a mistake to trade up and draft Pat?

I probably did. Alex was an above average QB and we had many other needs.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I didn't think it was a mistake, but I thought it would be an upgrade to a B+ or A- quarterback, in time. Not an A+++ type, from the moment he was the starter.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Geezer wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:51 pm How about did you think at the time that the Chiefs made a mistake to trade up and draft Pat?

I probably did. Alex was an above average QB and we had many other needs.
Alex had a ceiling, which is what was frustrating. Fans were tired of going into the playoffs knowing the other teams, NE, Pitt, etc... were going to have the better QB that could lead the team to a win if they had too. Alex Smith was above average yes, but in reality was not going to lead the team to a Super Bowl. If the Chiefs somehow put together a defense like the Bronco's had in Peyton's last year, then Alex would be more than good enough to win one.

I was happy they drafted Mahomes if for no other reason it was showing they needed to find someone who could be a difference maker. Obviously though, had no clue with this franchise that they'd ever make such a great decision.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Almost exactly what LVCHawk said...

I believe at the time when Mahomes was drafted I was excited the Chiefs were at least trying to find a start from scratch and not a re-tread QB. Alex Smith was the Steve Bono, Grbac type. When surrounded by a good group of players you could expect 10+ wins but when it really mattered in the playoffs they were always going to fall short. I thought that if nothing more it should the organization was sick and tired of losing and were willing to take a risk to find a franchise QB.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

vmlb wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:43 pm The only doubt I had was from college ball. When we injured him and he left the game, their backup kicked our ass; thus I assumed TT's offensive success was mainly due to the system, not Patty.
This was exactly what I thought. In retrospect though, he made some ridiculously good throws while he was in. The biggest unknown to fans was his photographic memory and ability to see things instantly. His arm with that mind and vision may never be seen again.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

When I saw that they had traded up, I was hoping it was to get a QB and honestly, I was hoping it was to get Watson. My gut reaction to the Mahomes pick was "friggin' Chiefs did it again" but I assumed (really just hoped) Reid knew what he was doing.

I'd bet it didnt take long in the conversation for Reid to recognize the potential Mahomes had. I am glad that they go through such a thorough vetting and interview process and that we were able to get him when we did.

Footwork can be taught.
Read techniques can be taught.
Plays can be taught.

Back footed chucks 60 yards in the air to the perfect spot on 3rd & 15 down 10 in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl cannot be taught. So glad we finally got THAT GUY in KC.

It's going to be fun to see what the Chiefs can do to keep their Super Bowl window open as long as possible.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 am

When I saw that they had traded up, I was hoping it was to get a QB and honestly, I was hoping it was to get Watson. My gut reaction to the Mahomes pick was "friggin' Chiefs did it again" but I assumed (really just hoped) Reid knew what he was doing.

I'd bet it didnt take long in the conversation for Reid to recognize the potential Mahomes had. I am glad that they go through such a thorough vetting and interview process and that we were able to get him when we did.

Footwork can be taught.
Read techniques can be taught.
Plays can be taught.

Back footed chucks 60 yards in the air to the perfect spot on 3rd & 15 down 10 in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl cannot be taught. So glad we finally got THAT GUY in KC.

It's going to be fun to see what the Chiefs can do to keep their Super Bowl window open as long as possible.
And - understanding that his most recent game is an outlier in this regard - he really doesn't turn it over.

The expectation was that, when the time came, he'd give it away a lot, and his spot on the good-to-great continuum would depend on how much he'd learn, in time, to limit giveaways.

Instead, he's been historically great from the outset. Woof.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

His second turnover was kinda Tyreek's fault.
Not a great throw but if you're a top 5 receiver in the NFL, you make that catch.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 pm His second turnover was kinda Tyreek's fault.
Not a great throw but if you're a top 5 receiver in the NFL, you make that catch.
Or at least get a lot more of it than he did, agree.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 pm His second turnover was kinda Tyreek's fault.
It was a bad throw. That lies with Mahomes. The fact that it was tipped up and resulted in an interception wasn't anyone's fault. It was instinctual for Hill to stick out his hand to try to make a play on it and it didnt work out. I place zero blame on Hill for that.