Mahomie

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 89

Re: Mahomie

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’m trying to remember SB winners without a top shelf quarterback...baltimore with flacco is the only recent one that comes to mind

(though it could easily be argued that Eli Manning isn’t/wasn’t top shelf)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't say Nick Foles was a top shelf quarterback but he had one helluva run ( you could say the same thing about Flacco ).

2002 Tampa was led by Brad Johnson but the defense won that title.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Didn't Grbac win one?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Trent Dilfer was in charge of that team with the murderer on it.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Hard to do this with all the rules changes making game different today than it was even 10 years ago.

Rarely, though, despite this, does it seem that a less than terrific quarterback wins in the super bowl. Even if that QB only seemed good for that one year. It’s why ‘game manager’ is such a bad moniker to put on a QB. It insinuates an inability to create, which, having the ball in your hands every offensive snap, is going to become inevitable. And most teams without a QB able to create (again, within the year in question) are eventually beaten in the playoffs.

Foles, Johnson, Dilfer only three that have won last 25+ years that aren’t HOF caliber QBs, even giving room for debate regarding Eli, Wilson, and Mahomes moving forward.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am Didn't Grbac win one?
Was on ‘94 Niners team that one. He started 0 games, appeared in 11, completing 35 of 50 passes on the season.

Half of those came in final week of season, when playoff position locked.

Most other attempts came in games decided by 20+ points, because unlike today (it seems), teams took their QB out of lopsided games to either protect from injury or give a bit of game experience to backup.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I’m surprised adidas hasn’t pushed him more. That may be by design by both parties.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:04 pm I’m surprised adidas hasn’t pushed him more. That may be by design by both parties.
It's coming, I'm sure.

The one that seems like a no-brainer to me, also, is the Kansas City Sports Commission getting Mahomes to do a promo for KC's 2026 World Cup bid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m sure Mahomes is surprisingly good at soccer.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Being a football player isn't great for apparel marketing..the biggest 'name' as far as branding and marketing in football right now is OBJ and even he isn't pushed incredibly hard by Nike. He has had a few shoes collabs in the past but he still hasn't got a signature shoe or cleat. Nike US football has learned that making a signature shoe or cleat just doesn't translate well from the field to off 'court' appeal. I still believe that OBJ might be the most popular athlete in football but the gap is closing between him and Mahomes.

I've seen more and more, and I'm sure this is by design so that guys have more control over designs and most importantly the margins if you are a Russ Wilson, Brady, or Mahomes you do your own, independent from a major sneaker brand apparel line and logo. Sell your own branded merchandise, apparel, etc. Your Nike, UA, adidas sneaker company makes your cleats, base gear and sponsors your camps and travel teams and you control everything else.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

One thing: Mahomes is a shoe hound. Adidas needs to push his off the field style. They really hit the lottery finally if they market it right
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The problem being that from at least this year most of the stuff he was wearing off the field was designer...Versace, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc. Unless you are wearing Yeezy very few, if any lifestyle offerings from adidas are making headways.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In other thread but big enough news to just be here.
Mahomes 10 years added to his 2 years, signed til 2031-32.
Hell. Yes.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He'll be freaking 35 by the time the contract runs out. Who knows, maybe he'll get another few years in KC after that contract!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Good for both the Chiefs and Mahomes.
Shows he wants to be here and that we are willing to pay/know his value.
He's motivated - i don't think this slows him down.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

40 mil a year. Ain't chicken feed.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah wouldn't be surprised if contract gets close to $500M.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It’s going to be the largest in history of any sport.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fine with that.
And maybe Dak tries to break that - glad it was set - and now Chiefs don't have to renegotiate a 2nd contract which likely would be more expensive per year.