Kansas City thread

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Kansas City thread

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:16 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:12 pm

It's fine. That said, it's something when your kid is used to KC, and then you go to Chicago or NYC and there are dozens and dozens of buildings that would dominate this skyline.
I think the skyline is a lot better than you would expect given the small amount of activity that downtown actually has. Compare it to a newer and bigger city like Phoenix, whose skyline blows.
Sure, yes, agree. And the architecture of One Kansas City Place (to track City Hall) is a very nice touch.

Also nice that there's not a brutalist eyesore, like the old Target headquarters building in Minneapolis.
The architect/designers for Kauffman right in front of the Bartle Hall pylons deserve a lifetime civic award.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Good Lord that is beautiful, Tradition. I am going to visit SLC next year in 2022. I hope it looks like that when I'm there.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:30 pm i’ve grown rather fond of this skyline

and the view of Mt Olympus from my front porch
That's cheating, though.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not that commercial real estate demand will support it for some time, if ever, but I'd really like one very modern signature tower (~50 floors).
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Walrus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 am The property you sold last year has already depreciated $30,000 according to Zillow, which is saying something given that Zillow tends to appraise everything higher than it should be.
You are so fucking full of shit.
I just pulled up the address, and Zillow shows a past 30 day increase in value of $18,972. +8.4%.

30 days you broke fuck.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:27 pm
Walrus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 am The property you sold last year has already depreciated $30,000 according to Zillow, which is saying something given that Zillow tends to appraise everything higher than it should be.
You are so fucking full of shit.
I just pulled up the address, and Zillow shows a past 30 day increase in value of $18,972. +8.4%.

30 days you broke fuck.
He was joking.
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:30 pm i’ve grown rather fond of this skyline

and the view of Mt Olympus from my front porch
Holy cow.
Last edited by defixione on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 pm Not that commercial real estate demand will support it for some time, if ever, but I'd really like one very modern signature tower (~50 floors).
Agree. KC needs a new high rise tower at 12th and Grand to stretch the skyline East. But reality, probably not going to happen anytime soon. 3 light is breaking ground in May and the Waddel & Reed tower (albeit they won't be tenants), is going up nicely. Lots of other infill projects taking off as well.
Rumors are Cerner might "finally" build an office tower downtown as their official HQs instead of the NKC building.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

As long as the Western Auto sign is still there, it's KC.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Link?!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Fabricated panic....we dont have a shortage of oil. Oil was negative for the first time ever last year. Our reserves were literally overflowing. The pipeline is a convenient way to drive demand up and prices with it.

If its that easy to hack our systems we are fucked well beyond our oil transit
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 am Fabricated panic....we dont have a shortage of oil. Oil was negative for the first time ever last year. Our reserves were literally overflowing. The pipeline is a convenient way to drive demand up and prices with it.

If its that easy to hack our systems we are fucked well beyond our oil transit
Titties, bro.

There's literally no defense against them.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:38 amIf its that easy to hack our systems we are fucked well beyond our oil transit
Should be yet another wake-up call. Ransomware just keeps growing exponentially.

It's easy to write off nerd stuff, but crypto security is a huge issue all the way to the top. From what I understand, the pipeline was very vulnerable.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Downtown looks great. Haven't been here, other than P&L and Sprint Center, since high school. There's so much stuff I never knew about.

Also stumbled upon a show on the deck at Crown Center that was like a combination of Cirque do Soleil, Arcade Fire's wildly cool string instrumentalists but better, and glamour pop. So cool to randomly see in KC.

Makes me want to stay a few days. Grew up here but never really got out of JoCo much.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yeah they've pumped a lot of $ into downtown. With the streetcar expanding to UMKC, it will really create a ton of new infill projects from apartments to office buildings. Really, to take downtown KC to the next level, they need to get the Royals downtown.
shindig

Post by shindig »

So with the NBA expanding I guess with 2 new teams in 2022, what are the odds KC gets a team? Low? Guessing Seattle is a lock and then probably LV, for god knows why, I guess because they have the money. Hearing lots of rumors the NO Pelicans owner has been in town checking out the T-mobile Center and moving the team out of the Big Easy in 2023. Thoughts?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Phogushers already basically here.
No market.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 pm Yeah they've pumped a lot of $ into downtown. With the streetcar expanding to UMKC, it will really create a ton of new infill projects from apartments to office buildings. Really, to take downtown KC to the next level, they need to get the Royals downtown.
Royals-downtown is happening. Just a matter of time.

If they want to really get serious about what the city will look like in 20 years' time, they need to get organized on using the streetcar as sort of a nerve center of a massive light rail project.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:43 pm
shindig wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 pm Yeah they've pumped a lot of $ into downtown. With the streetcar expanding to UMKC, it will really create a ton of new infill projects from apartments to office buildings. Really, to take downtown KC to the next level, they need to get the Royals downtown.
Royals-downtown is happening. Just a matter of time.

If they want to really get serious about what the city will look like in 20 years' time, they need to get organized on using the streetcar as sort of a nerve center of a massive light rail project.
Man I really hope so. Downtown ballpark is a must and imagine an NBA team playing at t-mobile center as well. The street car is a great starter line/spine and hopefully with the new airport terminal opening in 2023, the city has thought about extending the streetcar over the new Broadway bridge with a connection to trains (i.e. Denver). Is there enough room at the downtown airport to add a train station/connector? Or just utilize Union Station?