THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
Deleted User 863

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:13 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:03 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:57 am Tiger playing about as well as could reasonably be expected. Unsurprisingly, he looks like someone who's had a lot of time to work on short- and mid-irons.
He was noticeably wincing early in his driving range session, but seems to have loosened up. Playing great so far.

I have read the reduced mobility has actually helped him become straighter off the tee. His arms and chest are jacked. He clearly has been working out the upper body while the leg healed.

Obviously, i want him to win. But most of all I am just glad he is playing again. It'll probably just be this and St Andrews for 2022 if I had to guess. No need to even attempt US Open. Length of course, and length of rough would be too much to overcome to win. But he can win at Augusta and he can win The Open Championship venues.

Dude has made 2 of the greatest comebacks in sports history. Truly an inspiration. Definition of toughness and perseverance.
I have a hard time lionizing him. I do enjoy watching golf more when he's around the top of the board, though, so I'm rooting for him.
Yes, as a husband definitely tough to lionize him. But golf wise, he checks all the boxes. Also seems to be a really good dad, which i respect.

But as a person he definitely has his flaws. He's a lot nicer now than he was in his prime. Wasn't always very good to the younger fans, but as he's aged he will give more fist bumps and sign some autographs whereas that was essentially non existent in the early 2000s until about 5-6 years ago.
Deleted User 863

Deleted User 863

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:54 pm Masters 2022 thoughts:

Wide open field. Nobody stands out as an obvious favorite this year.

Rory: Will he ever win a green jacket? Hopefully. But doubt it'll be this year.

Rahm: He's been quiet lately. I still think he's the best player in the world. But hasn't looked great the last month or so.

Scottie Scheffler: New world #1. He's hot lately. If he plays well he will be tough to beat.

JT: He will win a green jacket sooner or later. Can he avoid a big mistake and can he get the putter hot? Those 2 questions will likely determine if he's in contention late Sunday afternoon.

Brooks: It's a major so odds are that he will be a factor.

Morikawa: ball striking is incredible. If the putter gets hot he is always tough to beat.

DJ: hasn't played a lot and hasn't played that well....but his game is suited for Augusta and he knows how to win.

Bryson: His strategy last year didn't work. If he doesn't adjust this year he won't be a factor.

Xander: Love him, but he always seems to find a way to get 2nd instead of 1st in big events. Misses a few too many short putts for me to feel great about him on these greens.

Patrick Cantlay: hasn't played great so far this season, but he is a dude who can flip a switch. Game should set up well. He really doesn't have many weaknesses. But he only has 1 top 10 at Augusta in 5 starts with 2 missed cuts.

Cam Smith: He might be my pick. Unreal putter. Not scared of the moment.

Speith: He's a different guy at Augusta, but he looks so lost. Had a good year last season, tweaked his swing over the offseason, added 10yds off the tee, but is playing "golf swing" instead of playing "golf". Also not putting as well as he needs to.

Hideki: Had a recent WD due to a back issue I believe. Dude is a top 20 machine at Augusta and his stats are better this year than last.

TIGER: I think he is going to play. Don't think winning is realistic, even for Tiger...but I doubt he'd play if he wasn't damn sure he was capable of making the cut.

I will add some others that I forgot to mention as the week goes on.

Who I "want" to win: Lee Westwood (or Tiger obviously).

Who I "think" will win: Morikawa or Cam Smith.
Well, my picks are still "in it", but the prediction that Scottie would be tought to beat if he played well was apparently a massive understatement. Because he's played so well he will be almost impossible to beat without some sort of self inflicted damage....and it's only Friday.

Holy shit, for he (and JT) to go that low in those conditions is unreal.

Wind was swirling so bad that probably a dozen guys flew #12 (155ish yds) by 15-20yds. Total bloodbath for several hours in the middle of the day.

Tiger: looks better than I expected. Probably should be 4 shots better than he is, but rust cost him some silly mistakes.

I don't know if these guys can catch Scottie....but he's being chased by numerous major winners. So he is going to feel the heat. Love to see Hideki back in contention. He's a cool dude. Shane Lowry as well.

I hope somebody makes a run. A blowout won't be all that interesting.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"...I hope somebody makes a run. A blowout won't be all that interesting."

I agree. I was sorry to see that Scheffler was 8 under, 5 ahead of the pack. Sad to see that Woodland didn't make the cut at 8 over.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 863

Scottie got lucky that he hit his 2nd shot on #13 so poorly that it went right of the creek rather than going into the creek (his foot slipped, which happens a lot to him). That would have potentially been a 2 shot swing. 3 shots is a lot less comfy than 5 shots.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Being that part of the country has some real horse crap weather right now - I just looked at the weather in/for Augusta.
Could there be a more perfect weather forecast for championship Sunday?
Makes me want to get on a plane and go.

Sun 10 | Day
74°
W 8 mph
Sunny. High 74F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Humidity
38%
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Is Scheffler going to gag?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tiger gets me to watch more golf.
But boy is ( or was ) the dude a scumbag.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08 pm Is Scheffler going to gag?
I recorded it so I'm behind, but Scheffler just putted it way past the cup on 15.

I find myself hoping every time he strikes the ball, it goes into the water or woods, just so we'll have a closer match to watch tomorrow.
dammit
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:04 pm Tiger gets me to watch more golf.
But boy is ( or was ) the dude a scumbag.
Don't let Geezer see you say that.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Did Geezer do a shit load of prescription drugs, get in dangerous situations behind the wheel over and over again, and fuck maybe a dozen of women that were not his wife?

If so, poor Minhin.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:32 pm Did Geezer do a shit load of prescription drugs, get in dangerous situations behind the wheel over and over again, and fuck maybe a dozen of women that were not his wife?

If so, poor Minhin.
Not that I'm aware of.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Geezer?
Care to chime in?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

With no dog in the fight, my default is always to root for the underdog. And, while I'm hoping things tighten up on the leader board today, considering how lame Cameron Smith looks in that flat-billed cap, it is not my default to root for him. Maybe he has a compelling back story that would help me get over it?

I get the desire of generations and ethnic groups wanting to distinguish themselves from previous generations/the majority culture, and more power to them. But, unfortunately, that flat-brimmed hat makes you look dum. You too, Gary Woodland.

And, don't get me started on what I think about bow ties!

Sincerely,
O'Kay Boomer
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Poor tee shot on the 1st for Scheffler.
Smith hit a perfect drive.

Stay tuned.......
Deleted User 863

We've got ourselves an exciting masters Sunday now.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:17 pm We've got ourselves an exciting masters Sunday now.
No
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:25 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:17 pm We've got ourselves an exciting masters Sunday now.
No
Spoke too soon.

Rory made a hell of a run into 2nd after his first 2 rounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Does this count as Golf and do they hang a banner?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Checks out with the grammar error.