THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by pdub »

Yea.
Rahm would need an epic epic collapse.
He can just play boring ball rest of way.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm way behind, Rham and Koepka are only on 9, but I find myself hoping none of the LIV guys do well.

Nice to see Woodland on the leaderboard, even if they only rarely show him hitting the ball.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Uh he should have to find that ball and hit it.

Golf is dumb.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My friend's son gets a W. Nick's mother (my friend) was a Jayhawk.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/la ... e-together
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Former KU golfer Gary Woodland is only 4 off the pace, tied for 23rd, going into the final round of the Memorial Tournament today. Unfortunately, there are a number of good golfers ahead of him including Rory McElroy, who is tied for first. Still nice to see Woodland near the top.

Other than the 4 majors, I don't follow golf all that closely, but do generally check after the cut on Fridays to see how Woodland's doing, and take more interest when he's doing well. By checking on him so often, I've developed an appreciation for just how much $$$ is on the line as you move up and down the leaderboard by only one stroke, when it's over on Sundays.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I was disappointed Tom Watson turned out to be a wing nut. Kind of ruined my fan experience.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PGA Tour and LIV merging to create a new entity and a style that blends the two together, globally.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And apparently the PGA did it without much consultation with the players.

Yikes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:15 am PGA Tour and LIV merging to create a new entity and a style that blends the two together, globally.
I'm fascinated by the timing.

Because there's a decent chance we'll learn in the next 18 months that a certain someone sold certain somethings to a certain foreign government, which happens to own a certain end of this deal. In fact we may well learn that a certain end of this deal was involved in that certain transaction.

And this deal will likely require one or more levels of regulatory approval...meaning regulatory inquiry powers.

Makes me wonder (1) what the PGA Tour is doing to protect itself, and (2) whether this is a sign that one end of the deal is trying to cash out before shit hits the fan.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:15 am PGA Tour and LIV merging to create a new entity and a style that blends the two together, globally.
I'm fascinated by the timing.

Because there's a decent chance we'll learn in the next 18 months that a certain someone sold certain somethings to a certain foreign government, which happens to own a certain end of this deal. In fact we may well learn that a certain end of this deal was involved in that certain transaction.

And this deal will likely require one or more levels of regulatory approval...meaning regulatory inquiry powers.

Makes me wonder (1) what the PGA Tour is doing to protect itself, and (2) whether this is a sign that one end of the deal is trying to cash out before shit hits the fan.
Wonder if it's a bit of both. Phil mentioned he has dirt on the PGA Tour and it would come out.

Those PGA players have to be livid though. Held out for 2 years or whatever. Stayed "loyal" and it all was for nothing.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Rory McIlroy seems like a great guy. Less than an hour ago:

https://youtu.be/77fxqQaS650
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So the PIF bought the future of golf.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:25 am So the Saudis bought the future of golf.
fixed
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“We gotta look towards a pathway to peace,” DeChambeau said about working with the Saudis, “especially in forgiveness, especially if we’re trying to mend the world and make it a better place. I think this is what LIV is trying to accomplish. We’re all trying to accomplish a better world for everybody and a way to provide great entertainment for everybody around the world.”

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 am “We gotta look towards a pathway to peace,” DeChambeau said about working with the Saudis, “especially in forgiveness, especially if we’re trying to mend the world and make it a better place. I think this is what LIV is trying to accomplish. We’re all trying to accomplish a better world for everybody and a way to provide great entertainment for everybody around the world.”

:lol:
I already wasn't a fan, but sure, Bryson. Didn't he get $125 million to join LIV?

https://twitter.com/sephius1999/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

boycott the tour. boycott the tour sponsors. problem solved.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anyone else watch the ending of the Canadian Open a little bit ago?

Spoiler Alert!

On the 4th playoff hole, the first Canadian to win in 69 years, sank a 72' eagle putt:

https://youtu.be/rFZ5wVxsT6U
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:48 pm boycott the tour. boycott the tour sponsors. problem solved.
So you're going to buy electric after all?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Seems like a consensus (even from some of the golfers) is that the US Open has been garbage on many levels.
From the course, to the tee times, to the fans, etc.
Did the USGA and PGA crap out on this one?
The ultimate poo factor for me will be if Clark wins. I'm not against the guy but I have zero interest in seeing him win.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.