THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
Deleted User 310

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Lots of IL courses going rogue allowing 4somes and carts, and no spacing of tee times. Hopefully they don't ruin it for the courses like mine who are mostly following the rules.

The only thing the pro from my course is doing is pretty much allowing older people to take individual carts for themselves. Which isn't totally against the "rules", assuming they have a medical condition....he's just decided that being too old to walk a hilly ass (and hard) course is enough of a physical limitation. Even the non members who are older are getting them for free, so its not like it is some attempt at generating more cart fee income. He just doesn't want some old person having a heart attack out there trying to walk.
Deleted User 310

Chicago mayor shut golf down again earlier today for courses in the city...

Are they just not following the rules at the courses up there? Or just way too many people trying to play? Any insight from the Chicago golfers?

I'd say most courses around me are mostly following the rules....my course is definitely only allowing 2somes. But they are giving older people carts and considering "im old and can't walk this course without having a heart attack" as an acceptable medical condition....there are courses around here allowing carts for everyone and 4somes and not making it 15mim between tee times. Cops got called to one of the local courses the other day because they weren't following guidelines.
Deleted User 310

Who is pumped for Tiger/Phil/Brady/Manning next weekend? I think this 1 will be much better than Tiger vs Phil part 1.

This weekend they've got an appetizer of Rory/DJ vs Rickie/MattWolfe (the guy with the weird knee action swing)... not as excited about that 1. Should be good golf, but Rory and DJ are heavy favorites.

In other news I've walked 72 holes of golf in the last 48hrs and my legs feel like jello....going to cap it off with an afternoon 18 and then rest for a few days while it rains. I have already played 50rounds in 2020 😳
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I havent played golf since 2016. Its a very very sad thing. I need more time in the day.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

TDub wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am I havent played golf since 2016. Its a very very sad thing. I need more time in the day.
Ya. I am lucky my wife knows it is my passion and doesn't get mad about me golfing so much....when we started talking I was still living in Myrtle Beach and golfing 7 days a week....and my dad is an avid golfer as well, so she's understanding...i play over 150 rounds most years.
Deleted User 310

Wow. That was boring. Not sure if anyone watched. Good cause. Bad golf. Cool course. Camera work was alot better than I expected. So I am cautiously optimistic about Tiger/Phil 2.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have been informed that a rangefinder is going to be my Father's Day gift, and that I should go ahead and order what I want. Any thoughts/recommendations? I sort of like the kind that has both GPS and laser (I like having front/back as well as pin).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Bushnell is probably top of the line.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 310

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm Bushnell is the only way to go
FYP.

Also, do NOT get a cheap one from a knock off brand. They suck. If you want to go a little cheaper get an older bushnell that doesn't have the newer adjustment for uphill/downhill.

Personally, as someone who golf's more than 99% of the world each year, the uphill/downhill feature is overrated unless you're using it for hunting also. I have a bushnell thats maybe 4-5 years (?) old. Works perfectly still. Even lost it during the winter a few years ago and then found it a week later and it still worked (although it did need about a week sitting in the house for the phoggy lense to clear up enough for the laser to work again).

I've got the Bushnell Tour v3. Highly recommended. Its a little bigger than the new versions which I like because it's easier to see thru. Has a lock on vibration function once it hits the pin that is nice.

I havent seen the GPS laser combo since mine hasn't broken yet.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm
FYP.

Also, do NOT get a cheap one from a knock off brand. They suck. If you want to go a little cheaper get an older bushnell that doesn't have the newer adjustment for uphill/downhill.

Personally, as someone who golf's more than 99% of the world each year, the uphill/downhill feature is overrated unless you're using it for hunting also. I have a bushnell thats maybe 4-5 years (?) old. Works perfectly still. Even lost it during the winter a few years ago and then found it a week later and it still worked (although it did need about a week sitting in the house for the phoggy lense to clear up enough for the laser to work again).

I've got the Bushnell Tour v3. Highly recommended. Its a little bigger than the new versions which I like because it's easier to see thru. Has a lock on vibration function once it hits the pin that is nice.

I got the Bushnell GPS/laser one. Between a discount and then a $50 off promo for using a single AmEx point, it was under $300.

I can't use the ones with slope - even though you can turn the feature off, there are some assholes where I play that will cause a stink about it in events.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:42 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm
FYP.

I got the Bushnell GPS/laser one. Between a discount and then a $50 off promo for using a single AmEx point, it was under $300.

I can't use the ones with slope - even though you can turn the feature off, there are some assholes where I play that will cause a stink about it in events.
Ya. I'm not sure if the guys I play with turn the feature on or off. Mine doesn't have it...and honestly, I dont think the feature is very useful. Everyone has a different ball flight. Uphill/downhill calculation for a given shot is impacted by what club is being used. Uphill/downhill calculation for a given shot is impacted by wind direction and strength (plus wind impacts various clubs differently). In short, I dont think 99.9% of people are smart enough or good enough to use the slop calculation effectively. Maybe Bryson Dechambeau can, but he is about the only 1.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am not good at golf. What matters most to me is distance to the front.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:47 am I am not good at golf. What matters most to me is distance to the front.
Arnie would say you should worry about distance to the back since most amateur golfers under club or don't get 100% out of the majority of their shots.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:47 am I am not good at golf. What matters most to me is distance to the front.
Arnie would say you should worry about distance to the back since most amateur golfers under club or don't get 100% out of the majority of their shots.
I get the logic. But say I have a 140 yard approach and end up short. Fine, that's a pitch in. But if I'm long, odds are I'm in a pretty bad spot.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:44 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
I get the logic. But say I have a 140 yard approach and end up short. Fine, that's a pitch in. But if I'm long, odds are I'm in a pretty bad spot.
For sure. Everything is dependant on hole layout, pin position. I always try to avoid being short sided unless I'm in a do or die situation where it is birdie or bust....but i do agree at most courses if you're on line and short its usually not the worst miss.

I can't for the life of me get my dad to club up...75% of his shots come up short. But occasionally he gets ahold of 1 and then his brain thinks that is his max yardage for whatever club from that point forward until the end of eternity LOL
Deleted User 310

Course I play has tough green complexes and the rough is insane right now. Other day I had 5 birdies and still shot 77 (+5) because if I missed a fairway or green it was trouble to save par.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:54 am Course I play has tough green complexes and the rough is insane right now. Other day I had 5 birdies and still shot 77 (+5) because if I missed a fairway or green it was trouble to save par.
Rough here is a jungle also. I don't care as much about short-sided as I do about avoiding downhill chips/pitches. That's just not happening.
Deleted User 310

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ive rolled a cart, got it stuck in sandtrap, and drove one through the end of a bridge where the bridge support went through the front of the cart and into the seat. Had to push the cart off with another cart. Not my finest moment.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 am Ive rolled a cart, got it stuck in sandtrap, and drove one through the end of a bridge where the bridge support went through the front of the cart and into the seat. Had to push the cart off with another cart. Not my finest moment.
That last one must have been exciting.

From Jr. high all thru high school I worked at a public golf course. One of our jobs was to bring the carts to and from the clubhouse from the cart shed every morning and night. The shed was within view of the clubhouse so not much happened on those trips, but we were often sent out onto the course in carts for any number of reasons, and that's when the fun would begin - sliding through corners and getting them up on two wheels. Can't say I ever turned one over or impaled one on a bridge abutment, though.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas