THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
Deleted User 295

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by Deleted User 295 »

Let's go Phil! Could become the 4th oldest person to win a PGA event.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/a- ... ocid=ientp

Really cool story about a guy trying to make it in golf without the money/support system to keep him going.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Not sure which golfer said it but on ESPN an announcer just said an agravated golfer said, "If we don't play we don't get paid". Not really true is it?
I say the golfer who said it should give every single sponsorship dollar he has made to me - since apparently he's not aware he's even getting that money - and he won't miss it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sponsorship do provide a payment of some sort. But mostly they cover travel costs and entry fees.

Lots of golfers that are starting out on PGA Tour have little to no sponsorship. They get to the Tour off talent. And they rely on purse money for living. Not everyone is Tiger, Phil or Woodland where sponsors are all over their bags. Lots come in from Web.com tour to where they are scraping by on pennies and rely on host families to house them at events.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sad to see Woodland 11 off the pace after only one day.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm Sponsorship do provide a payment of some sort. But mostly they cover travel costs and entry fees.

Lots of golfers that are starting out on PGA Tour have little to no sponsorship. They get to the Tour off talent. And they rely on purse money for living. Not everyone is Tiger, Phil or Woodland where sponsors are all over their bags. Lots come in from Web.com tour to where they are scraping by on pennies and rely on host families to house them at events.
I honestly did not realize all of that. I was under the impression that most pro golfers had very sweet sponsorship deals. I appreciate your post and clarification.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Players Championship canceled.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Masters also postponed
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I will say that I think golf is something you could do without fans and be safe.

It's going to be a hot mofo in Georgia when they do play.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah Georgia in September is going to be a scorcher. Looking at doing Masters the week after the TOUR Championship at end of August that is in Atlanta.

Back to back big time championships in that heat is going to SUCK

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Took the eldest guppy to a practice green today. Played a sort of improvised golf/bocce game, with the hole as the pallino. Good of a way as any to get some air.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Golf back in IL.

Walking only. No proshops. 2somes only.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Played 36 yesterday. 80 on first 18 (Tie for personal best) and 84 on second 18 (about my average) Just feels good to get out and golf. Nice precautions too where I golfed. Guards around the hole so ball doesn’t go down in the hole and golf carts cleaned throughly by staff.

Was nice to have our normal baby sitter (wife’s aunt) keep an eye on the kids for the day and so I could get out and get some air with no kids.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Up about $80 on wolf bets the last couple weekends.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am Up about $80 on wolf bets the last couple weekends.
How many people do you play wolf with?

Just curious how others do it....we have a little 9 hole course right behind my house and during the winters we always play there when it's cold (and I mean cold, like in the 30s cold)...we're obviously almost always the only people there, so we will play large groups and play wolf with 6-10 guys...I think the most we ever did was 11 or 12 guys....lots of money exchanged with that many guys 😂...but it's fun and makes winter golf exciting. We even play in snow occasionally just for fun. Have to putt it on top of the snow if it's cold enough, or chip it if the snow is too soft. It's wild.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is just within a foursome. We play where there's more money on the line on 17 and 18, and I've won all of those over the last couple weeks.
Deleted User 310

Gotcha..

So how we do wolf.....

Flip a coin before #1 to decide if the order is oldest-youngest or youngest-oldest. Young tails. Old heads....that sets the order.

Then if there are 5 people the "wolf" on each holes can pick 1 partner (so each hole is 2guys vs 3guys).....we have a unique twist where you can go "pre shot lone wolf". That would mean it's 1 on 4 and the wolf has to declare that before they even tee off. If the wolf does that it quadruples the amount they can win...there's also post shot lone wolf, which is declared after the wolf hits, and that doubles the amount they can win.

You can't pick someone for a partner if the next guy has already hit. So it's basically pick or pass on each guy as they go.

For each hole the scoring is:
2pts for low ball
2pts for low total (both partners combined score)
1pt for closet to the pin in regulation.
1pt for birdie bonus.
If you get all 6pts then it "umbrellas" into 12pts.

If the team that only has 2 guys wins the hole then there is a multiplier of 1.5x since it's 2vs3. So if the team of 2guys wins 2pts they each get 3pts (essentially since they won 2pts from 3 people they split the 6pts between them).

We start at 50cents per point. And the bet can be pressed to $1 per point once we reshuffle the order based on score, which happens after everyone has had 3 turns as the wolf (in 5man wolf)...so 16-18 can be pressed. Once we get to 16 we reorder based on points with the lowest guys going first. Only the person in last place can press the bet up.

Lots in there. It's a fun game, but a lot of money can be exchanged if it gets out of hand.

The guys I play with all keep handicaps and we range from +2handicap to a couple guys who are 11s or 12s. So it's a variety, but mostly low sinlge digit handicappers. So the games are competitive.
Deleted User 310

Full disclosure: sometimes our games are more about the gambling than the golf....it's not unusual for me to be playing multiple people in the group for $20+ per hole. We usually start at $2/hole or $5/hole, but unlimited presses, so occasionally it gets out of hand.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:33 am Gotcha..

So how we do wolf.....

Flip a coin before #1 to decide if the order is oldest-youngest or youngest-oldest. Young tails. Old heads....that sets the order.

Then if there are 5 people the "wolf" on each holes can pick 1 partner (so each hole is 2guys vs 3guys).....we have a unique twist where you can go "pre shot lone wolf". That would mean it's 1 on 4 and the wolf has to declare that before they even tee off. If the wolf does that it quadruples the amount they can win...there's also post shot lone wolf, which is declared after the wolf hits, and that doubles the amount they can win.

You can't pick someone for a partner if the next guy has already hit. So it's basically pick or pass on each guy as they go.

For each hole the scoring is:
2pts for low ball
2pts for low total (both partners combined score)
1pt for closet to the pin in regulation.
1pt for birdie bonus.
If you get all 6pts then it "umbrellas" into 12pts.

If the team that only has 2 guys wins the hole then there is a multiplier of 1.5x since it's 2vs3. So if the team of 2guys wins 2pts they each get 3pts (essentially since they won 2pts from 3 people they split the 6pts between them).

We start at 50cents per point. And the bet can be pressed to $1 per point once we reshuffle the order based on score, which happens after everyone has had 3 turns as the wolf (in 5man wolf)...so 16-18 can be pressed. Once we get to 16 we reorder based on points with the lowest guys going first. Only the person in last place can press the bet up.

Lots in there. It's a fun game, but a lot of money can be exchanged if it gets out of hand.

The guys I play with all keep handicaps and we range from +2handicap to a couple guys who are 11s or 12s. So it's a variety, but mostly low sinlge digit handicappers. So the games are competitive.
The process you describe (prior to the scoring) is what we do.

The scoring is a bit simpler:

If pre-shot lone wolf, then the lone wolf has six points to win, and each of the other three players has two to win.

If post-shot lone wolf, then three and one, respectively.

If no lone wolf, then everyone has one point at risk (and the hole is won by better ball of partners (net)).
Deleted User 310

Ya. How you describe it is how I've heard many describe it as well....ours might kind of be wolf on steroids...since in a pre shot lone wolf scenario the lone wolf can win 48pts possible from each of the other 4 guys if they "umbrella".

A fun game we do with 4somes we call roll/re roll.

4 guys. Throw balls before the round to determine partners for the day.

6pts possible per hole...same breakdown as how we do wolf, but no "umbrella" bonus for getting all 6pts.

The team in the lead always tees off first. After they hit both of their drives the other team can "roll" which doubles the bet for that hole.....after that team hits, the other team can "reroll" which doubles the bet again (but can only reroll if the other team rolls obviously....so the team behind is always sort of in control of how much money is wagered on each hole)...there are still presses available for the team losing (1 press per side each)... that's pretty much our preferred 4some game, and the ability to roll/re roll adds some pressure. Especially on holes where people get a stroke sometimes you've got to "roll" 2 good drives.