THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:38 am Full disclosure: sometimes our games are more about the gambling than the golf....it's not unusual for me to be playing multiple people in the group for $20+ per hole. We usually start at $2/hole or $5/hole, but unlimited presses, so occasionally it gets out of hand.
I played TPC Summerlin in Vegas maybe ten years ago. MJ and Oak were playing $20k skins in the group in front of us.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:39 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:38 am Full disclosure: sometimes our games are more about the gambling than the golf....it's not unusual for me to be playing multiple people in the group for $20+ per hole. We usually start at $2/hole or $5/hole, but unlimited presses, so occasionally it gets out of hand.
I played TPC Summerlin in Vegas maybe ten years ago. MJ and Oak were playing $20k skins in the group in front of us.
that's awesome.

I've heard that course is fantastic too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's really nice. It's a gimmick, I know, but I had Davis Love III's locker, which was kind of cool.

I like my Vegas golf as trick-golf as possible, though, and TPC Summerlin is very very good, but not trick golf.

Inject this shit into my veins:

Wolf Creek

The Falls (RIP)

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Cool story gutter!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 am
Cool story gutter!
(And that's without posting the pictures.)

((I did not take pictures.))
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 am It's really nice. It's a gimmick, I know, but I had Davis Love III's locker, which was kind of cool.

I like my Vegas golf as trick-golf as possible, though, and TPC Summerlin is very very good, but not trick golf.

Inject this shit into my veins:

Wolf Creek

The Falls (RIP)

That is awesome. Makes me miss playing. Someday I'll have the time again.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

cool pics, and those courses are so striking.

but at the same time, why in the actual eff should there be grass that green in the middle of the desert??

#SaveTheColoradoRiver
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:29 am cool pics, and those courses are so striking.

but at the same time, why in the actual eff should there be grass that green in the middle of the desert??

#SaveTheColoradoRiver
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
vegas, phoenix, palm springs/palm desert...

cuz, ‘murica
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If you live in or visit any of those places, joke’s on you, cuz I just took a leak in the headwaters!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:29 am cool pics, and those courses are so striking.

#SaveTheColoradoRiver
Agree - flying into Phoenix is so depressing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

Kentucky bluegrass isn’t green.

Keep that shit in Kentucky.
Deleted User 310

Walked 18 today. Course I'm a member at had every single tee time taken today. 7am-6pm booked solid...we were 2nd group off. Never really saw anyone else. 1st group was a couple old guys who play fast (and they let them have carts due to "health issues" (which basically means anything...if you're old tell the pro shop you've got a bad knee and they can give you a cart)....we didn't hardly see them at all. Group behind us didn't get within 2 holes of us. My dad tried to walk all 18 (he's almost 70)...he will have a "health issue" tomorrow so that he can get a cart. No sense giving the old guys a heart attack trying to save them from covid19.

Golf is about the safest thing you can do right now. Especially in 2somes like IL is requiring.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The place I play is reopening the range this week, which will be a welcome change. I'm close enough to go get work in during this work-from-home epoch, and I'm genuinely looking forward to getting out there over lunch or happy hour time.
Deleted User 310

I walked 18 Friday...36 Saturday. Quick 9 Sunday. Holy fuck, the course I belong to is relatively hilly in spots, walking 36 holes was extreme. Taking a few days off. Then 36 again Wednesday 😂
Deleted User 89

have motorized golf bags been discussed?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am have motorized golf bags been discussed?
Not in this thread. But I've seen a couple people with them on the course.

I played with a segway for a golf cart, once. Pretty cool!
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:56 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am have motorized golf bags been discussed?

an alternate route to work (generally with less traffic) goes through the middle of a golf course, and i saw a guy with one for the first time

i had to chuckle...i guess (obviously) exercise isn’t the goal of some golfers
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:21 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:56 am

an alternate route to work (generally with less traffic) goes through the middle of a golf course, and i saw a guy with one for the first time

i had to chuckle...i guess (obviously) exercise isn’t the goal of some golfers
I still end up walking 2-2.5 miles/18 holes with cart. Not saying that's some sort of fitness milestone, but especially with the heat and humidity here in the summer, that's not nothing.

I barely played golf last year because we had a newborn, and I was ten-plus pounds heavier by October than I usually am (and that's with eating better and drinking less).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:07 pm I barely played golf last year because we had a newborn, and I was ten-plus pounds heavier by October than I usually am (and that's with eating better and drinking less).
Me too but mine wasn't a newborn, still young at just over a year. I'm hoping to play a lot more this year. I do a men's league thing during the week where I play 9 holes a week and then hoping to play more on weekends and weeknights. Outside of my men's league nights the last few summers, I've probably played 20 rounds of golf total over the last 2 years.

Hoping to hit 20 this year alone. Already played 3. Looking for a lot more coming up.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 310

they're expensive.

And regular push carts are hard to find and/or have jacked up prices with the insanely rapid increase in demand.

I've had my sun mountain push cart for a handful of years. Gotten a lot of use out of it. Mostly during winters at my winter home course (9 hole course near my house that stays open regardless of temperature/snow because they're mostly just a "bar that also has a golf course" in that 95% of the customers are solely there for the bar. They have a nice patio and have bands in the summer)...and occasionally I will use it at the course I belong to if it is cart path only.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Tue May 05, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.