In our heads

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

In our heads

Post by PhDhawk »

Still trying to make sense of the loss at WVU.

I think maybe we got in our own heads. WVU is bad, their best player is hurt, and they hadn't won a single conference game. Several on here were posting about how Morgantown is a tough place to play, yet they'd lost 3 home games already and two in conference and even though it was a 'sell-out' the stands only looked ~65% full.

Press Virginia had been basically non-existent. They didn't really press us, yet we had nearly 20 TOs, and worse looked really sped up at times. I think maybe we were so worried about their pressure that we just made a ton of mistakes and rushed shit simply anticipating pressure even though we didn't really get any pressure.

That should've been our easiest road win and I think we blew it because of WVU's reputation from the last 5 or so years.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: In our heads

Post by jfish26 »

I think there's a good amount of (cliche alert) not having an identity. Not having something we can hang our hat on, both tactically (not having a - CLICHE ALERT!!! - go-to guy, and strategically (we're not a great shooting team, or a running team, or a lockdown defensive team, or a gambling defensive team, etc.).

We're just sort of a bunch of pretty-good to really-good players.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Oh. I thought our identity was that we're good enough to be up on our opponent by about 5 points with 4 minutes to go (regardless of how good/bad they are), and then just rely on our HoF coach and good luck to win the game, and really hope we don't have a couple bad breaks and blow it in the final seconds like at ASU and at WVU.

Is that not an identity?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am Oh. I thought our identity was that we're good enough to be up on our opponent by about 5 points with 4 minutes to go (regardless of how good/bad they are), and then just rely on our HoF coach and good luck to win the game, and really hope we don't have a couple bad breaks and blow it in the final seconds like at ASU and at WVU.

Is that not an identity?
You're right - that certainly is our identity at present.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Winning on the road takes good ball from tip to buzzer. Not our strong point.

I think you give your freshman PG one bad game against the press, but it didn't seem like anyone else really showed up either. Maybe Garrett. 100% agree it was mental.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am Winning on the road takes good ball from tip to buzzer. Not our strong point.

I think you give your freshman PG one bad game against the press, but it didn't seem like anyone else really showed up either. Maybe Garrett. 100% agree it was mental.
It's also true that our fastball is nothing special; the margin for error simply isn't there for us to lose focus.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am Winning on the road takes good ball from tip to buzzer. Not our strong point.

It's also true that our fastball is nothing special; the margin for error simply isn't there for us to lose focus.
But our changeup, playing through Lawson in the post, should occaisionally get us a 10+ point lead against mediocre teams...but doesn't seem to.

Maddux won a lot of games with an 88 mph fastball.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I said it to a few people this weekend. If Garrett leads the team in shot attempts, like he did Saturday, KU will lose more often than not. If he's taking 12 shots while driving to the rim, great. But on Saturday he took a couple threes and some crossover, midrange step backs.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am I said it to a few people this weekend. If Garrett leads the team in shot attempts, like he did Saturday, KU will lose more often than not. If he's taking 12 shots while driving to the rim, great. But on Saturday he took a couple threes and some crossover, midrange step backs.
Yeah, but even worse than FGA was that Garrett seemed to be the only one who truly showed up to play.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am I said it to a few people this weekend. If Garrett leads the team in shot attempts, like he did Saturday, KU will lose more often than not. If he's taking 12 shots while driving to the rim, great. But on Saturday he took a couple threes and some crossover, midrange step backs.
Yeah, but even worse than FGA was that Garrett seemed to be the only one who truly showed up to play.
No argument there.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Somebody has to shoot. Team oooked tentative. Need a leader to lean on when things get a little out of sorts
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

We need a consistent second scorer.

If we know that Dedrick is our only option in a must-score possession, then everybody else knows it too.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Coach Self has historically talked about cutting the head off a team. The Huggy Press did that. And we were still in control the entire 2nd half.

But, to the thread topic... We brought back a senior space cadet. No one can make one sense of him. That’s a big part of our identity.
Last edited by Soklous on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in our heads?

in our heeee-eea-eads?

may this team's problem is zombies?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:06 am We need a consistent second scorer.

If we know that Dedrick is our only option in a must-score possession, then everybody else knows it too.
I was thinking about the same.

We need reliable perimeter threat.

But Vick is a spaz. Grimes seems uncomfortable being the guy. Charlie was expected to either score more or pg more. Dotson and Garrett are both good at what they do but aren't really go-to offensive types. Andrew White the Fourth, I mean Ochai, who knows.

who turns a corner?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:25 am in our heads?

in our heeee-eea-eads?

Now my problem is that I'll have The Cranberries in my head for the rest of the day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:06 am We need a consistent second scorer.

I was thinking about the same.

We need reliable perimeter threat.

But Vick is a spaz. Grimes seems uncomfortable being the guy. Charlie was expected to either score more or pg more. Dotson and Garrett are both good at what they do but aren't really go-to offensive types. Andrew White the Fourth, I mean Ochai, who knows.

who turns a corner?
Dotson has the most obvious physical tools for this.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:01 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:25 am in our heads?

in our heeee-eea-eads?

Now my problem is that I'll have The Cranberries in my head for the rest of the day.
Bannable offense?

It should be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am Coach Self has historically talked about cutting the head off a team. The Huggy Press did that. And we were still in control the entire 2nd half.

But, to the thread topic... We brought back a senior space cadet. No one can make one sense of him. That’s a big part of our identity.
Agree with all of this. And why I suggested that Bill needs to have a meeting with Dotson.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

But West Virginia didnt actually press us at all. We just failed to take care of the ball.