Re: pre-season top 25 polls

Post by PhDhawk »

how do we do the gutter-meter?

gutter-9

gutter 9

gutter_9

[gutter 9]
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 pm Public Service Announcement: There are 30+ conferences in D1 basketball.
How many of those 30+ conferences have 3 or more teams in the pre-season top 25 every season?
No one alleges those 30+ conferences are any good - other than a handful.
Some people feel the Big 12 is a great basketball conference. Some say it's "awful".
You and I are in agreement that it's closer to great than awful.
That and $4.50 ($2.25 a piece) gets you and I a ride on the L and KU in the Final Four on occasion.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

First you need to come to terms with this:
A top 3 conference in college basketball is a good conference. It is not awful.

If you can't come to terms with that, then stop reading, there is no point in continuing.

Illy said the Big 12 is awful.
I pointed out that I have heard this before.
I would not be surprised if the Big 12 is a top 3 conference this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Code: Select all

[gutter]5[/gutter]
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gutter wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:07 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 pm Public Service Announcement: There are 30+ conferences in D1 basketball.
How many of those 30+ conferences have 3 or more teams in the pre-season top 25 every season?
Some people feel the Big 12 is a great basketball conference. Some say it's "awful".
That and $4.50 ($2.25 a piece) gets you and I a ride on the L and KU in the Final Four on occasion.
Your original point was that the Big12 was closer to being the worst conference than it is the top 2.

Now you're arguing that it's closer to great than awful and site the 3 ranked teams.

You'll gutter just about any post, won't you.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:12 pm First you need to come to terms with this:

If you can't come to terms with that, then stop reading, there is no point in continuing.

The "issue" that allows pundits (and...how to say...contrarians) to attack the strength of the league is that outside of KU, it doesn't have any other consistently great teams. West Virginia sometimes. Iowa State sometimes. KSU sometimes. UT sometimes. And so on.

What it does have, of course, is no easy outs. The bottom half of the Big 12 is just much, much better than the bottom half of the other conferences.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Get ready for the ol "the Big 12 has one national champion in the last 30 years something something".
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm
Your original point was that the Big12 was closer to being the worst conference than it is the top 2.

Now you're arguing that it's closer to great than awful and site the 3 ranked teams.

How is my saying a factual "Top 3 is closer to worst than Top 1 and 2 are" in any way saying what you are claiming I said - "the Big12 was closer to being the worst conference than it is the top 2".
I never said that did I? Not even close.

Please feel free to carry on if you would like.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The "issue" that allows pundits (and...how to say...contrarians) to attack the strength of the league is that outside of KU, it doesn't have any other consistently great teams. West Virginia sometimes. Iowa State sometimes. KSU sometimes. UT sometimes. And so on.

What it does have, of course, is no easy outs. The bottom half of the Big 12 is just much, much better than the bottom half of the other conferences.
But outside of the ACC, which conference does have multiple teams that are consistently great? Not the B1G (MSU - Wisconsin for a while, OSU for a while, sometimes IU...), not the SEC (UK - it's been a while since UF was great), not the PAC12 (AZ, UCLA, Oregon have up and down years), the Big East may be the closest with Villanova and either Butler or Xavier, but I'd still say they only have 1 consistently great team. The AAC sucks.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gutter wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm

How is my saying a factual "Top 3 is closer to worst than Top 1 and 2 are" in any way saying what you are claiming I said - "the Big12 was closer to being the worst conference than it is the top 2".
I never said that did I? Not even close.

Please feel free to carry on if you would like.
Maybe I misunderstood your post. I thought that by posting, "Top 3 is closer to worst than Top 1 and 2 are", you were saying that the 3rd best conference is closer to being the worst conference than it is to being the second best conference...but, you were just saying 3rd is not as good as second or first?

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 pm

But outside of the ACC, which conference does have multiple teams that are consistently great? Not the B1G (MSU - Wisconsin for a while, OSU for a while, sometimes IU...), not the SEC (UK - it's been a while since UF was great), not the PAC12 (AZ, UCLA, Oregon have up and down years), the Big East may be the closest with Villanova and either Butler or Xavier, but I'd still say they only have 1 consistently great team. The AAC sucks.
Well, it's also true that our success obscures how good the second- (and sometimes third- and fourth-) -place team in the Big 12 has been.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Sure....but only 3 or 4 are relevant when determining if the big 12 should be considered awful.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

And for the record the big 12 isn't "awful". I didn't mean for that to be taken literally. Big 12 just isn't as good as the last few years and there are no teams that should even make the league race slightly competitive.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

15th in conference rpi...but it's early.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would be willing to bet they finish in the top 6 of conference RPI which would not make the conference awful. It would make it above average when looking at all the conferences.

If you want to call a conference 'awful' in regards to the power 5 conferences, then you might want to mention that ( i'd say there are 7 'legit' NCABB conferences ).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Southwestern Athletic Conference is awful.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm I've heard 'the big 12 is awful' thing before and then the big 12 still ends up being a top 3 conference.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »