KU's DeSousa SHOULD be ruled eligible but the NCAA blows....

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: KU's DeSousa could be ruled eligible...

Post by PhDhawk »

Even Self's description of how each guy handled it are like deja vu.

He's handling it well, as good as can be expected, he's really hurt by it....

I just want it over with. Bad news is better than no news.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 am Timeline similarities are mere coincidence, IMO. School starts about the same time, season starts about the same time, holidays happen about the same time every year. The process for reinstatement should theoretically be the same.

Unless Silvio's camp is fucking around like Preston's was. Then the situations are pretty much exactly alike.
I'm not saying it's directly analogous. I'm just really fucking fatigued by doing this over and over and over.

I have a different relationship with college basketball than I did 10-15 years ago. There's more competition for my time, and of course I spend my days solving problems, and that can be exhausting.

This team does not bring me enjoyment, or even pleasant distraction. There's the little stuff, like how unexciting and unlikable the team is. There's the medium-sized stuff, like how low of a March ceiling the team seems to have. And there's the big stuff, like the increasing chances that the entire sport is lighting itself on fire over a misguided (and wrong) adherence to "amateurism."

That we're in this situation every other year with a player is maddening, and ultimately deadening to my interest. You can say - and you'd be right - that to an extent we did this to ourselves. Fine, no argument.

But of course the fact that simply playing the game everyone else is playing leads to an administrative game-within-the-game...really more of a game-above-the-game...it really wears me out. Doubling down on rules OVER AND OVER AND OVER just creates more edge cases and fewer bright lines.

It's not fun to have to be a lawyer to follow college basketball. It's gross that there's this weird sheen on the game at all times, this quiet "yeah, but" when it comes to accomplishments and records.

I really don't know how college basketball will survive if even diehards like me feel this way.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sums up my thoughts and experience pretty well fish
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The NCAA/Member institutions smugly think they can keep the train rolling by appealing to alum's emotions and ties to the schools.

It's a bad strategy. More and more people realize this is semi-pro ball for everyone but the players.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 am The NCAA/Member institutions smugly think they can keep the train rolling by appealing to alum's emotions and ties to the schools.

It's a bad strategy. More and more people realize this is semi-pro ball for everyone but the players.
The NFL survived (is surviving?) the recent explosion of its administrative state because of its sheer size and popularity (and lack of competition). College basketball is nuts to think it's as durable.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Never fail.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If you consider the main sports, isn't it the least popular?

NFL
CFB
MLB
NBA
NHL
NCAAB
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I'd guess it's above hockey. NBA seems to be gaining on MLB as well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 am Never fail.
And you never fail...to miss the point. College basketball is choking itself to death with this crap. Six more blue-ribbon commissions aren't the answer.
Last edited by jfish26 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:16 am If you consider the main sports, isn't it the least popular?

NFL
CFB
MLB
NBA
NHL
NCAAB
It's not even a button on the landing page of ESPN.com (but NHL and MMA are).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am I'd guess it's above hockey. NBA seems to be gaining on MLB as well.
It's hard to measure, because I'd bet CBB has better ratings than Hockey, but there is this:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1035 ... ar-mlb-2nd

MLB is losing ground with younger generations (TV sets), but will always fare well in polls with older generations. Baseball parks can always tout high attendance, too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think college basketball will be OK in time without becoming semi-pro.
We've gone over this endlessly ( though Vega deleted our very very long thread ).
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 am The NCAA/Member institutions smugly think they can keep the train rolling by appealing to alum's emotions and ties to the schools.

The NFL survived (is surviving?) the recent explosion of its administrative state because of its sheer size and popularity (and lack of competition). College basketball is nuts to think it's as durable.

The NFL owes Paddy Mahomes much credit.

Marquette became the first major University / Conference to add Varsity Esports program today.
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am I think college basketball will be OK in time without becoming semi-pro.
We've gone over this endlessly ( though Vega deleted our very very long thread ).
OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJ3nryJer0
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am Even Self's description of how each guy handled it are like deja vu.

He's handling it well, as good as can be expected, he's really hurt by it....

I just want it over with. Bad news is better than no news.
I fucking hate these people.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Soklous wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am

The NFL owes Paddy Mahomes ALL the credit.

FYP
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am I think college basketball will be OK in time without becoming semi-pro.
Yeah, but you're wrong.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Subtract a couple annoyances from Dickie for this.

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1090974412772438016
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You're wrong.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

So nothing again today.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.