This Team

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: This Team

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I feel like this year's team is below 06 and 07...but I think this is maybe the 1st or 2nd worst Self team we've had.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Guess not.

I know he was on active roster for Cavs for maybe a month or 2....but doesn't look like he ever got in a regular season game.
Does that negatively impact your view of how good a college player he was?

Did your memory of him take an enormous hit?
Not him personally...but I was thinking he'd only played in a sasha kaun amount of NBA games anyway...

It means the 2008 team only had 7 guys PLAY in an NBA game instead of 8...but 8 guys still made active rosters at 1 time or another.

NBA success isn't everything, but it is something. Typically the best players go on to the NBA.. sometimes it's useful when comparing teams/players from the past.
Didn't I tell you in another thread that, in the OAD era, the best recruits are ranked 25-40?

The average ranking of the 8 guys on the '08 team was 27.5.

None were OADs and Jackson was the lowest ranked guy at 68.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Not him personally...but I was thinking he'd only played in a sasha kaun amount of NBA games anyway...

It means the 2008 team only had 7 guys PLAY in an NBA game instead of 8...but 8 guys still made active rosters at 1 time or another.

NBA success isn't everything, but it is something. Typically the best players go on to the NBA.. sometimes it's useful when comparing teams/players from the past.
Didn't I tell you in another thread that, in the OAD era, the best recruits are ranked 25-40?

I'm not sure how far this can be taken. We were very fortunate that we still had Rush and Arthur on that team. I think part of your point is that guys that talented turn into unbelievable college players (which is true!). But if you tried to build a team without relying on OADs...you don't sign either of those guys.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

More relevant question is how this team stacks up against '12.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm not sure how far this can be taken. We were very fortunate that we still had Rush and Arthur on that team. I think part of your point is that guys that talented turn into unbelievable college players (which is true!). But if you tried to build a team without relying on OADs...you don't sign either of those guys.
For sure, we lucked out, especially with Rush and his circumstances.

The only thing I would say though, is that at the time there were fewer OADs, so I'd probably move that number of 25-40 to 15 or 20 to 40. Collins at 14, or Chalmers at 8, or even Arthur at 11 would've felt more pressure to leave after one year in today's game than they did then.

At the time I thought Wright left a year early, but if he were a recruit today, we wouldn't have even gotten the So season.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm More relevant question is how this team stacks up against '12.
Raw talent, I'd say this team is better.

But this team is SO much younger and less experienced.

Deleted User 75

You did.

What were the rankings for:

Rush
Arthur
Mario
Sherron

?
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:34 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:29 pm More relevant question is how this team stacks up against '12.
Raw talent, I'd say this team is better.

But this team is SO much younger and less experienced.
Would you take this team over either the 2010 West or East McDonalds All American teams?
Ok, how about the 2004 St. Joes team? Hmmmm.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Different times too. Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Collins—all of those guys had the option to go straight to the nba from HS and chose not to. Perhaps those era of players were more invested into college careers than guys are now.
Deleted User 75

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuJ4XPdHyli ... 5uameojk9m

Give me these 3 + Plano + Geezer and we will take down any 5 you can put out there from this team. ;-)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not in an Elite Eight game at home, you won't.

God damn it.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Their team let every PF we played have a career night.

He might come out on the loosing end, but Dedric would have a 45/20 type of night against the '17 team.

Deleted User 75

He might, although he hasn't done that to far inferior teams than the 17 team. Or Landen might knock him down a few times and turn him into a jump shooter.

For as eye popping as Dedrics numbers are, he doesn't seem as imposing or dominant as his numbers would make me think he should be.

Anyways, that's all in good fun. I don't want to shit on this team in an effort to praise teams of the past. They're coming along and haven't had the deck stacked in their favor this year.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

This year's team is better and much deeper than the 2012 team
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:55 pm This year's team is better and much deeper than the 2012 team
No.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As good as Dedric is I wouldn’t put him past TRob. Maybe equal. TRob was dynamic on the court.

Ty was better than Dotson.

I’d take Rele over Ochai at this moment but that’s also very close—only because of Rele’s defense.

Withey v McCormack or Lightfoot or KJ or Garrett isn’t even a discussion.

EJ >> Grimes.

Bench goes to 18-19 despite all they’ve lost.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:55 pm This year's team is better and much deeper than the 2012 team
the 2012 team convinced me that depth is grossly overrated.

The 19 team shows me that the point of depth is to deal with injury, the ncaa, and players taking leaves of absence.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think having five good players with two solid options off the bench can be enough.
But like you said, you're walking a thin line if you loose any of your starters.
i.e. if 2012 lost Withey ( Dok ), EJ ( Vick ) and Kevin Young ( SDS ) with Conner Teahan ( Garrett ) going down for 2 weeks, we'd be looking at that NCAA bubble.

TRob
Tyshawn
Releford
Justin Wesley
Jordan Juenemann
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 am I think having five good players with two solid options off the bench can be enough.
But like you said, you're walking a thin line if you loose any of your starters.
exactly, having 10 good players on gameday does nothing. Those five starters are gonna play 30+ minutes and the two bench guys both play ~20. Fatigue is not really an issue in a 40 minute game with a water break every 4 minutes plus timeouts and a 15 minute halftime. There's really no reason to limit your best players to 25 minutes so that you get 15 minutes outta the eight, ninth, and tenth guys on the depth chart because even if they're pretty good, you want your best players playing the most minutes.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, ideally, I think you want 8, even if all 8 are healthy all season.
2012 it became a detriment because of foul trouble in circumstances.
But yes, I don't think fatigue is much a factor at all with most players.