Re: This Team

Post by holidaysmore »

Martini Room Mitch aka Gimmie That Shit Mitch
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Leawood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm How did KU look on February 22, 2008
A lot more experienced than this team. #3 in nation, with a 24-2 record. About to lose to Okie State though.

They also had not had a huge issue with letting people back in games once in hand.

Also, this team finished 37-3. Which is the best record of any Kansas team, ever. So....are you suggesting we wait and possibly compare this team to what is arguably one of, if not the best (on paper, which pdub loves), KU teams of all time?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

LOL 2008 team's entire backcourt played in the NBA for a period if time.....as did their entire front court. 8 future NBA players. Although maybe Kaun never played in an actual game?..edit: 25 games of nba experience for Kaun.

#GOAT
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That team was also one of KenPom's best ever. And won the stiffest Final Four ever.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 am That team was also one of KenPom's best ever. And won the stiffest Final Four ever.
EVER
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 am LOL 2008 team's entire backcourt played in the NBA for a period if time
I know this is your obsession and one thing you focus all your attention on, but....

Dotson, Grimes, and Agbaji will all likely also play in the NBA. 4 NBA guards is only one more than 3. So, it probably only warranted a slight smirk rather than an audible laugh.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:35 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 am LOL 2008 team's entire backcourt played in the NBA for a period if time
I know this is your obsession and one thing you focus all your attention on, but....

Dotson, Grimes, and Agbaji will all likely also play in the NBA. 4 NBA guards is only one more than 3. So, it probably only warranted a slight smirk rather than an audible laugh.
We will see. None of them have accomplished that yet...you also conveviently overlooked the fact that our bigs this year don't measure up to 2008.

Literally every meaningful rotation player (not sure I classify Rod as meaningful with that minutes load, but...) except Rodrick went on the play in the NBA. That's insanely talented.

Also, 2008 is not comparable to this collection of talent. Now or ever. That's so disrepectful. 2008 would mop the floor with this group.

2008 both by eye test, accomplishments, and metrics is the greatest KU team of all time.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:34 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:33 am That team was also one of KenPom's best ever. And won the stiffest Final Four ever.
EVER
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:45 am

We will see. None of them have accomplished that yet...you also conveviently overlooked the fact that our bigs this year don't measure up to 2008.

Literally every meaningful rotation player (not sure I classify Rod as meaningful with that minutes load, but...) except Rodrick went on the play in the NBA. That's insanely talented.

Also, 2008 is not comparable to this collection of talent. Now or ever. That's so disrepectful. 2008 would mop the floor with this group.

2008 both by eye test, accomplishments, and metrics is the greatest KU team of all time.
I'm not arguing that this team is as good as 2008.

But, even in out frontcourt, I think Dok, SDS, and McCormack could all play in an NBA game. I don't think any of them will have great careers, but get minutes somewhere at some point, which was your qualifier.

I also think Dedric will play in the NBA, but I've mentioned this before, he's basically the greatest example of why you can't just judge a college team or college player by NBA potential. He's probably going to be an AA, but I think the chances of him being successful are very low.

2008 is significantly better than this year, but by guys who'll have a cup of coffee or better in the NBA, 2008 might only win that metric 7 to 6.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:59 am

But, even in out frontcourt, I think Dok, SDS, and McCormack could all play in an NBA game. I don't think any of them will have great careers, but get minutes somewhere at some point, which was your qualifier.

I also think Dedric will play in the NBA, but I've mentioned this before, he's basically the greatest example of why you can't just judge a college team or college player by NBA potential. He's probably going to be an AA, but I think the chances of him being successful are very low.
Someone is going to look back on this roster and wonder how in the hell we struggled to get a #2 or #3 seed and lost in the Sweet 16.

And then someone will look into things a little bit deeper and wonder how in the hell we managed to get a #2 or #3 seed and make it to the Sweet 16.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 am

Someone is going to look back on this roster and wonder how in the hell we struggled to get a #2 or #3 seed and lost in the Sweet 16.

And then someone will look into things a little bit deeper and wonder how in the hell we managed to get a #2 or #3 seed and make it to the Sweet 16.
I posted something similar to your first statement in one of the game threads. It'll be especially true if players stick around a while.

I think that Dotson, Agbaji, McCormack, and throw in guys like Garrett, Dok, maybe Grimes if he comes back, hell maybe even Mitch will be remembered very fondly in the future.

It's sorta like how many people LOVE Collison and Hinrich and throw in Gooden, but no one remembers, or at least doesn't mention that the team they were on as freshmen finished 5th in conference, were an 8 seed, and lost in the second round. That team also had guys like Boschee and Gregory who were also great.

Deleted User 75

2008 is significantly better than this year, but by guys who'll have a cup of coffee or better in the NBA, 2008 might only win that metric 7 to 6.
You could be right...although it'd be 8 to 6 or 7 by my count.

I don't think SDS will play in the NBA without getting to play more at KU. Too raw. In between size of 4 and 5.

I have my doubts about Dedric, but like you (iirc) pointed out Georges Niang is hanging around.

Dotson and Ochai seem like safe bets to spend some time in the NBA at worst.

DMac has the size to be a 5, so I believe he has a good chance to get a look in a year or 2....but 5s are so hard to predict in the current NBA.....

10 years ago Dok would have been a top 10 pick...now he may not be useful to a team, but I'm not giving up hope on him yet.

Grimes...who the hell knows. Hype alone should help him find his way even though he's having a bad season.

Garrett, moore, KJ, etc....no chance.

I hope you're right though. I want as many of our players to make it as possible. That's the dream.

6 of the 8 from 2008 got a look the following year...Sherron would have been better off leaving after his freshman year NBA wise knowing how things played out...the guys from this year may need another year or 2 (other than Dotson and Ochai)..
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:25 am

Did Russell Robinson ever play in an NBA game?

Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 am

Guess not.

I know he was on active roster for Cavs for maybe a month or 2....but doesn't look like he ever got in a regular season game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Guess not.

I know he was on active roster for Cavs for maybe a month or 2....but doesn't look like he ever got in a regular season game.
Does that negatively impact your view of how good a college player he was?

Did your memory of him take an enormous hit?

Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Guess not.

Does that negatively impact your view of how good a college player he was?

Did your memory of him take an enormous hit?
Not him personally...but I was thinking he'd only played in a sasha kaun amount of NBA games anyway...

It means the 2008 team only had 7 guys PLAY in an NBA game instead of 8...but 8 guys still made active rosters at 1 time or another.

NBA success isn't everything, but it is something. Typically the best players go on to the NBA.. sometimes it's useful when comparing teams/players from the past.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

There is a lot of tl:dr in here but the 2008 team would kill this years team. Might not be a meat necklace game, but an easy 20+ point victory. You’re fucking nuts if you think otherwise
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Don't sell Russ short.
Heart and soul was a Macedonian League champion and Finals MVP.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/playe ... ofia/35544
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 pm There is a lot of tl:dr in here but the 2008 team would kill this years team. Might not be a meat necklace game, but an easy 20+ point victory. You’re fucking nuts if you think otherwise
Agree.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

This team feels more like it is somewhere between the '06 team and the '07 team.