This Team

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: This Team

Post by twocoach »

cjbooth38 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:23 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm this conference play is brutal, but based on vmlb's POTD in the game thread, I'm cautiously optimistic for March. Malik looked like shit in January too.

We have a lot of weapons who just haven't quite clicked yet, and certainly haven't clicked all at once.

And yeah we've been loosing big men, but who knows, we might get one more yet.

Heck, maybe it'll even be just the kinda big man who shows up late to the party and is instrumental in a Final Four run, who knows!
I know I'm repeating myself but Self needs to give McCormack a lot more minutes. His ceiling is high and he is the exact type of player we need right now. Grimes has not shown any improvement. If anything he's regressed. Time to push more of his minutes to MCCormack so he can develop and be solid by MArch. One things is for sure... Agbaji needs to start over Grimes.
Giving him 5-10 more minutes a game isn't going to have him ready to be a contributor in 6 weeks. That's just wishful couch coaching.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd like Agbaji to start the rest of the season.
I'd also like Grimes to sit.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Leawood wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm How did KU look on February 22, 2008
Don’t know that. But record on January 22nd of 2018 was 16-4. With some bad losses to Washington, Arizona State. Home against OSU.

This happens. Thing is, this team has shown no ability to fight it off yet. And that’s the worrisome thing.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

vmlb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:15 pm During this streak, we have never been one game out of first place.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh the agony.
I'm more concerned about our seed and what we'll do in the tourney but it's definitely weird not being #1 in the conference right now. I started following KU closely the year we lost to Syracuse in the championship so I'm definitely not used to being down in the conference like this.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:26 pm I'd like Agbaji to start the rest of the season.
I'd also like Grimes to sit.
^^^
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dedric can't have a game like that.
Jaxon Hayes was a presence.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

How did KU look in late January early February 1988? If I am not mistaken there was a 4 game losing streak and maybe 6 losses in 8 games.

This team lacks cohesiveness and continuity. Can't ignore we are missing two bigs who could/should/would be All-Conference.
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm
cjbooth38 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:23 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm this conference play is brutal, but based on vmlb's POTD in the game thread, I'm cautiously optimistic for March. Malik looked like shit in January too.

We have a lot of weapons who just haven't quite clicked yet, and certainly haven't clicked all at once.

And yeah we've been loosing big men, but who knows, we might get one more yet.

Heck, maybe it'll even be just the kinda big man who shows up late to the party and is instrumental in a Final Four run, who knows!
I know I'm repeating myself but Self needs to give McCormack a lot more minutes. His ceiling is high and he is the exact type of player we need right now. Grimes has not shown any improvement. If anything he's regressed. Time to push more of his minutes to MCCormack so he can develop and be solid by MArch. One things is for sure... Agbaji needs to start over Grimes.
Giving him 5-10 more minutes a game isn't going to have him ready to be a contributor in 6 weeks. That's just wishful couch coaching.
And giving him 25 - 30 minutes has been great for his development, right? How much better is he than his first game with KU? He looks worse to me. How much better would McCormack be right now if he was receiving 20 minutes per game since game 1 and how much better would that make Lawson right now? Who knows, but its time to find out IMO. I agree that 10 minutes might be too low but I think around 15 minutes is what he should be playing right now until he shows some improvement.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Texas Tech Saturday.
ksu Tuesday.
Need to find some fight.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Need to find somebody to get buckets.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

SDS and Ochai out there together. Some bounciness and energy. It's what we'll need.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm I'm nuts for 20 point scorers.

If 3 of those 6 are on at once, we're a final four team.

but we gotta get like more than one at a time first.
4 of those guys have only done it once.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Mjl wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 pm SDS and Ochai out there together. Some bounciness and energy. It's what we'll need.
Agreed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Like a great team in a rut.

This team is all rut.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

this time last year Malik looked like shit and the team was loosing at home.

chill out. you guys stink even worse than tj's ex's butthole.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

TEXAS WAS 11-9
WVU hadn't won a conference game.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

This team still hasn't gelled and the regular season is now 2/3 over. With a backcourt that still doesn't play as a team and a frontcourt that is permanently stuck on the bench with injuries and eligibility issues, I'm not sure I have much hope that things are going to improve.
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

We also beat Baylor on the road. Some of you old timers should know better. Haven't we seen this every other year?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the only other time I remember this much loosing on the road was 2014, when we were about as young.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

15-16 team started 5-3. Then went on a huge run in conference play. Carried us all the way to the E8.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦