This Team

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: This Team

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am We chased off Cunliffe so that Moore could warm the bench?

I get why KJ is here. Without him we don't have dedric, and without dedric we might not even make the tournament.
Moore is better than Cunliffe, and Moore is awful.

There's another Lawson brother, so we need to keep hoping this season goes well and KJ stays happy.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I was thinking today is it on the player or the coaching staff that this years team just doesn't show a general improvement week to week? If anything they are getting worse. Self seems like a fiercely loyal guy but I wonder if it isn't time for a shake up on the staff. Get some new faces in here with a fresh mindset. Consistency is good but it can also lead to complacency.

Up and down the roster, both guards and post players have regressed this year. In the case of Mitch, Moore, and KJ they have gotten noticeably worse. Even before Dok got hurt I thought his game would have matured more then what it really did. He has ZERO post moves other than dunks, lobs and powering through a guy to get to a right hand jump hook.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Wonder if Cunliffe even had the choice to "stick it out"? Sure didn't seem like it. Looked a lot like a force out.

And yes another Lawson brother in the pipeline....but the fact that the 2nd youngest went to Oregon (nike) is not a good sign.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"He has ZERO post moves other than dunks, lobs and powering through a guy to get to a right hand jump hook."

I think we are heavily discounting his positioning before he gets the ball and footwork after, here.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 am Wonder if Cunliffe even had the choice to "stick it out"? Sure didn't seem like it. Looked a lot like a force out.
My understanding is that when Cunliffe got to campus the staff realized that they missed big time. Told him he'd never play and saved his redshirt so he could transfer out.

The fact that he went to the Valley would suggest that is true.
Deleted User 75

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 am I was thinking today is it on the player or the coaching staff that this years team just doesn't show a general improvement week to week? If anything they are getting worse. Self seems like a fiercely loyal guy but I wonder if it isn't time for a shake up on the staff. Get some new faces in here with a fresh mindset. Consistency is good but it can also lead to complacency.

Up and down the roster, both guards and post players have regressed this year. In the case of Mitch, Moore, and KJ they have gotten noticeably worse. Even before Dok got hurt I thought his game would have matured more then what it really did. He has ZERO post moves other than dunks, lobs and powering through a guy to get to a right hand jump hook.
Gotta disagree about the Dok part. He did show massive improvement with footwork and defense. He was never going to develop into a skilled player because he's not skilled in that sense. (Power/size is his skill, he wasn't going to ever develop Embiid-like moves in the post)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 amAnd yes another Lawson brother in the pipeline....but the fact that the 2nd youngest went to Oregon (nike) is not a good sign.
We didn't recruit Chandler.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:21 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am We chased off Cunliffe so that Moore could warm the bench?

I get why KJ is here. Without him we don't have dedric, and without dedric we might not even make the tournament.

There's another Lawson brother, so we need to keep hoping this season goes well and KJ stays happy.
Cunliffe had better numbers. Even in miniscule minutes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am "He has ZERO post moves other than dunks, lobs and powering through a guy to get to a right hand jump hook."

I think we are heavily discounting his positioning before he gets the ball and footwork after, here.
Yes. Dok showed lots of improvement from his 1st 2 years.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am

I mean, I am not defending Moore at all here as they are both terrible, which is evidenced more in watching than the small sample size of their numbers.

The only difference between the two: Moore can dribble. I guess I'd take that over Cunliffe.
Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 amAnd yes another Lawson brother in the pipeline....but the fact that the 2nd youngest went to Oregon (nike) is not a good sign.
We offered him a scholarship and were one of his finalists weren't we?

ESPN says we did offer. 247 says we did not. So who knows.

We absolutely wouldn't have turned him down.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I get so tired of this board dismissing anything Dok does and not recognizing how good he is. Dismissing his talents just because he's big would be like saying Dotson isn't any good, he's just fast.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am
Backed off. Chandler's not very good. Supposedly not a hard worker.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Chand ... nkHistory/
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am

I mean, I am not defending Moore at all here as they are both terrible, which is evidenced more in watching than the small sample size of their numbers.

The only difference between the two: Moore can dribble. I guess I'd take that over Cunliffe.
In both cases, I wonder how someone who's been in the system for that long can look so lost. Especially given what we've seen from Agbaji this season.

Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 am

Gotcha.

Dedric and KJ don't seem like hard workers either, but impossible to know without inside knowledge.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am

Gotcha.

Dedric and KJ don't seem like hard workers either, but impossible to know without inside knowledge.
Dedric is a legitimate 1st Team AA candidate.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Remember when everyone on the board was excited that the Lawsons were gonna bring back toughness to KU?

Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 am

Gotcha.

No doubt.

Doesn't mean he's a hard worker. Just means he's an awesome college player.

I look at how some of our guys bodies transform under hudy and I wonder why dedric hasn't changed more. Mason, graham, dok, selden, hell even Svi, were all ripped and dedric looks soft to the touch.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:35 am Remember when everyone on the board was excited that the Lawsons were gonna bring back toughness to KU?
Punching Mitch Lightfoot isn't tough?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 am

Gotcha.

No doubt.

Doesn't mean he's a hard worker. Just means he's an awesome college player.

I look at how some of our guys bodies transform under hudy and I wonder why dedric hasn't changed more. Mason, graham, dok, selden, hell even Svi, were all ripped and dedric looks soft to the touch.
Dedric has some of the most striking before and after photos of anyone.

It's just that the before picture looked like someone who'd never seen the inside of a gym and subsisted on nothing but Mt. Dew and cheetos.