This Team

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: This Team

Post by jfish26 »

The gap between Svi and Vick is even more pronounced in the context of this team (as opposed to, like, "being good at basketball" in a vacuum).

This team needs a deadeye shooter in the worst way (and this is a good place to say: I don't give a shit about Vick's 3% right this second, as it's clearly aberrant).
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I didn't read through this, so not sure if mentioned...but this team has potential to be super-duper awesome, and if they string the right amount of hot together at just the right time, we might all be happy again in late march/early april.

Then again, we might not make it out of first weekend of NCAA's. Who knows.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

And Vick is an apparent head case.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

This team does not have potential to be super duper awesome. Sorry. It just doesn't. This team lacks shooting. It lacks a rim protector. It lacks a 2nd consistent scorer. It lacks leadership. It lacks motivation. It lacks talent.

This team was overrated once Dok went down. He was the most important piece.

Jmo.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good points, gq.

We still have 6+ guys who can go off.

we certainly haven't seen it all happen at once.

if we can get 2-3 to show up on any given night, we're still one of the best teams around.

but, big if.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I tend to agree with Illy that, unless Grimes something Grimes changes Grimes, there's really not an interesting ceiling to this team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Svi isolated in this environment would be similar to Vick.
Nights where he goes 5/9 from 3 and others where he'd disappear.
He had the advantage of playing along side two highly skilled guards while Vick has to work with a defense that isn't concerned about Garrett, Grimes or, i'd even put Dotson ( shooting well but not only when very open ).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I don't give a shit about Vick's 3% right this second, as it's clearly aberrant"

"We need a good three point shooter.
I don't care that he's shooting the 3 better than Svi, Graham or Malik last year.
He needs to be better."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Is trading Vick for an NBA player an option?

If so, can we get LeBron?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Malik, on the other hand, i'd trade for at this point.
Started to figure it out at all points of the court.
He's not in the NBA but he's better college player than Svi.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 am "I don't give a shit about Vick's 3% right this second, as it's clearly aberrant"

"We need a good three point shooter.
I don't care that he's shooting the 3 better than Svi, Graham or Malik last year.
He needs to be better."
The problem is that Vick's season 3pt% is pretty hollow, and the way he gets the shots is not all that useful in the broader context of the offense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Vick: on the same team as Svi and Svi’s teammates last year and still did his conference disappearance act.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ah, OK, so you don't like his threes, because they are hollow.
And how he gets them isn't useful.
Got it.
Deleted User 75

Are you just trying to be difficult for fun?

Vick takes and makes a lot of bad shots. Most of us are willing to admit that. They're not always within the flow of the offense. That's okay. This team has benefitted from many of those bad shots that went it. It doesn't change that they're bad shots.

It doesn't change the fact that Svi is better than Vick.

And I'm not blaming Vick for our struggles..he's reached his ceiling. He can't do much more than what he's doing. Career high in pts per game. Playing a bigger role than he was EVER expected (or wanted) to play. Vick isn't the main problem. How much we "need" from Vick to be successful is a problem.
Deleted User 75

And if you're depending on a guy like Vick to be a leader for a bunch of freshman and inexperienced transfers then that's a big problem. Vick isn't the kind of guy I'd want "leading" any team I'm in charge of.

Not a high character guy. Apparently not a hard worker (judging by how much Self didn't want him back on the team). Not a very focused or consistent player. He's basically the opposite of nearly every great "leader" we have had at KU that I remember.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:25 am And if you're depending on a guy like Vick to be a leader for a bunch of freshman and inexperienced transfers then that's a big problem. Vick isn't the kind of guy I'd want "leading" any team I'm in charge of.

Not a high character guy. Apparently not a hard worker (judging by how much Self didn't want him back on the team). Not a very focused or consistent player. He's basically the opposite of nearly every great "leader" we have had at KU that I remember.
It's also true that body language and approach really does matter; you think Grimes doesn't notice?

You think Grimes would get away with his own floating crap if the senior guard was someone who actually busted his own ass?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

v Stanford
72-75
0:10 Vick made 3 point jumper.
75-75.

v Nova
51-54
8:50 Vick made 3 point jumper.
54-54.

v Iowa State
69-69
2:10 Vick made 3 point jumper.
72-69

v Tech
4-2
17:20 Vick made 3 point jumper.
7-2

15-9
12:16 Vick made 3 point jumper.
18-9

21-13
9:47 Vick made 3 point jumper.
24-13

They never pulled the lead any closer than any of those periods of time after Vick hit those shots.

v Texas
35-40
0:10 1st half Vick made 3 point jumper.
38-40 at half.

75-73
1:38 2nd half Vick made 3 point jumper.
78-73
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

If body language is a new stat we are keeping, Grimes is going to fill the line with the shocked face, palms up, look at the coach or the ref, and saying “but I did what I was supposed to, so how did this turnover/foul happen?” That is really grinding on me.

This team is really good about getting the ball up the court QUICKLY. It is too bad that usually the ball is AHEAD of four other Kansas players.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hollow.
Not useful.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I did not say that the shots have not been useful.

I said, in the context of whether I'd rather have Svi, that the way Vick gets his shots isn't useful (as compared with the way Svi got his shots). Vick doesn't bend the defense nearly the way Svi did, and we badly need the spacing.