Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am We didn't lose sds for this season. We never had him to begin with. Can't lose something you never had.
SDS is using one of the scholarships that if he was not here could have gone to a recruit who could potentially be playing. The roster was built on the assumption that SDS would be playing so yes, he counts as a lost player.
Those of us that do not live in a la-la land knew months before this season started that sds would never suit up for us again.

Why most of you are so shocked by the events of last Friday is a head scratcher. Those of us that do not live in a la-la land knew it was coming.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am He was a small part of those things. Dok and Dedric were the big parts.
As big of a part as he would have been, it's still hard to expect Dok to play more than 25 minutes per game. And Dedric wasn't going to play all 40 every night. 2 bigs would have been the primary rotation and the first one off the bench would have gotten ~20 minutes. That's not a small part.
Dok and Dedric would have both spent time as the lone big....so even if Dok averages 25mpg and Dedric averages 30mpg, then yes there are 25 additional minutes that need filled.....but some of those would be consumed by Garrett playing as small ball 4.

So, it could have been a small part. Could have been all 25min as the other big, but that is assuming no small ball. We will never know....but I agree Dok wasn't going to average 30+mpg under any circumstances most likely.
They can hardly play small ball right now. What makes you think they would do that given a full compliment of a deep front court? Outside of late game, FT situations, there would likely be next to zero minutes with 4 guards on the floor had Dok and SDS been available all season. Plus SDS was a 70+% FT shooter so he's even a better option than Garrett in that aspect.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:10 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am

As big of a part as he would have been, it's still hard to expect Dok to play more than 25 minutes per game. And Dedric wasn't going to play all 40 every night. 2 bigs would have been the primary rotation and the first one off the bench would have gotten ~20 minutes. That's not a small part.
Dok and Dedric would have both spent time as the lone big....so even if Dok averages 25mpg and Dedric averages 30mpg, then yes there are 25 additional minutes that need filled.....but some of those would be consumed by Garrett playing as small ball 4.

So, it could have been a small part. Could have been all 25min as the other big, but that is assuming no small ball. We will never know....but I agree Dok wasn't going to average 30+mpg under any circumstances most likely.
They can hardly play small ball right now. What makes you think they would do that given a full compliment of a deep front court? Outside of late game, FT situations, there would likely be next to zero minutes with 4 guards on the floor had Dok and SDS been available all season. Plus SDS was a 70+% FT shooter so he's even a better option than Garrett in that aspect.
I hear you man....I wish we were playing DMac and Mitch more right now.

If everyone was healthy and eligible SDS would be our main big off the bench....all I was saying was that Dok and Dedric were the BIG part of it. That's all.

1st big off the bench is important too. I get that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Imho if Silvio was available he’d almost certainly be starting, especially since Dok is out...

Edit: and with everyone healthy Silvio comes off the bench, and often finishes games, to complete the three headed monster of a front court that earns preseason #1 honors...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm Imho if Silvio was available he’d almost certainly be starting, especially since Dok is out...

Edit: and with everyone healthy Silvio comes off the bench, and often finishes games, to complete the three headed monster of a front court that earns preseason #1 honors...
...and Mitch Redshirts. And McCormack earns spot minutes in which he looks like a high energy beast that will dominate the Big12 as a So and Jr.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am The reality is that SDS isn't miles better than DMac.

You seem to be pretending SDS didn't have plenty of weaknesses that were largely covered up by having a veteran squad full of guards around him. He was good, but also put in a situation where we had no other option at big, and where he had a great chance to succeed because of Graham, and to a lesser extent Malik, Svi, and Vick.
DeSouza played pretty damn well last year.
And yes, he looked better than DM does now.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

If Dok was healthy and SDS eligible, Bill would be playing Big Ball. Dotson plus Silvio, Dedric, Dok, and McCormack.

Only sub would be Mitch....

For Dotson
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I don't care if we win or lose the Big12 title. The record is ours and nobody is going to break it. Focus on the next game. Get better. Win the tournament. Be better in March. Play a game in April.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm I don't care if we win or lose the Big12 title. The record is ours and nobody is going to break it. Focus on the next game. Get better. Win the tournament. Be better in March. Play a game in April.
Well, the NCAA might vacate the streak....which would guarantee we get a 30 for 30 on ESPN with a catchy title like "the most impressive streak in sports that never happened"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm I don't care if we win or lose the Big12 title. The record is ours and nobody is going to break it. Focus on the next game. Get better. Win the tournament. Be better in March. Play a game in April.
Well, the NCAA might vacate the streak....which would guarantee we get a 30 for 30 on ESPN with a catchy title like "the most impressive streak in sports that never happened"
Depends how far back they go!
Lonestarjayhawk

We never played an ineligible player...SDS was cleared by the NCAA. We held him out when new data was available. There will be ZERO games vacated.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 am We never played an ineligible player...SDS was cleared by the NCAA. We held him out when new data was available. There will be ZERO games vacated.
LOL....that's not really how it works... but I hope you're right. Love the optimism!
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 am We never played an ineligible player...SDS was cleared by the NCAA. We held him out when new data was available. There will be ZERO games vacated.
LOL....that's not really how it works... but I hope you're right. Love the optimism!
The burden of proof for the NCAA is much greater. They would have to proof that Bill Self or one of his Assistants knew of the payment or didn't have a "fully engaged compliance system to avoid violations.".

And, having a lawyer of a convicted felon saying he thought Bill Self knew and approved the payment won't be enough. They are going to have to have actual evidence and tape recordings. And, if they actually had tape recordings or any evidence, the defense would have presented that at trial. Hard to defaud someone who ask you to defaud them. That would have been a smoking gun for the defense.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That’s exactly how it’s worked in certain instances in the past. Including at KU.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 am
That’s exactly how it’s worked in certain instances in the past. Including at KU.
The only thing that makes me nervous that they might is them forcing us to label Gassnola an agent/booster. Still, most cases where a school bacated wins/banners are when the school was directly involved with the violation or the agreements and benefits from agents/boosters happened while the player was playing in college.

I think KU should be fine but the ncaa going outrageously overboard on SDS makes me less confident of that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still think we can go 13-5.
The loss @ West Virginia fucked us but win the next 3 and then you have Tech.
If somehow they steal that ( not a great chance but possible ) they're in great shape.

Otherwise, it's likely a four game single elimination tournament with two home games and two away.
Deleted User 75

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am
The burden of proof for the NCAA is much greater. They would have to proof that Bill Self or one of his Assistants knew of the payment or didn't have a "fully engaged compliance system to avoid violations.".

And, having a lawyer of a convicted felon saying he thought Bill Self knew and approved the payment won't be enough. They are going to have to have actual evidence and tape recordings. And, if they actually had tape recordings or any evidence, the defense would have presented that at trial. Hard to defaud someone who ask you to defaud them. That would have been a smoking gun for the defense.
LOL

The ncaa doesn't have a "burden of proof". This isn't a court of law.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 am I still think we can go 13-5.
The loss @ West Virginia fucked us but win the next 3 and then you have Tech.
If somehow they steal that ( not a great chance but possible ) they're in great shape.

Otherwise, it's likely a four game single elimination tournament with two home games and two away.
Agreed. We're still in this. KState still has to come to AFH. We've still got Tech. We can win out without even playing great. Nobody in the big 12 is all that scary. A bunch of mediocre teams.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We can win at Tech. We match up with them well and they flat out struggle to score. As down as I am on KU right now, I still think we are better than them, even on the road.

But we have to win these next three to even entertain the possibility of coming back and winning the Big 12. We aren't in a deep hole but we cant make it deeper ourselves.
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am

LOL

The ncaa doesn't have a "burden of proof". This isn't a court of law.
Tell that to UNC...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor