Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Still gonna win at least a share of the conference

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:33 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 am
The only thing that makes me nervous that they might is them forcing us to label Gassnola an agent/booster. Still, most cases where a school bacated wins/banners are when the school was directly involved with the violation or the agreements and benefits from agents/boosters happened while the player was playing in college.

I think KU should be fine but the ncaa going outrageously overboard on SDS makes me less confident of that.
Don Davis was also a booster. No wins vacated.
Jesse Newell's article from yesterday's KC Star makes me feel a lot better and addresses the exact thing that makes me quesy about Gassnola's labeling as a booster/agent.

Https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 523845.htm

Also, I didnt realize that DeSousa's appeal would be heard by the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, a group of school and conference employees who aren't NCAA employees. I assumed wrongly that it would be some other portion of the ncaa. So that's a relief.
I agree that the news is better than it could have been, but it's cold comfort that the reason the news is "good" relies on the NCAA doing things like it has before.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Matt Taint has an article about how the Big12 could potentially end in a 5 way tie. And he lays out a potential scenario where KU, KSU, TTU, ISU, and Baylor all finish the year 11-7

This is obviously unlikely. But my question is, if we ended up winning the conference with a record of 11-7 and sharing it with 2, 3, or 4 other teams, how much, if any, would that cheapen the streak?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it wouldn't, imo

not really much different than sharing it with just one other team

parity...lol
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

None? None at all?
Deleted User 89

not to me

edit: if that were to happen, it could almost be seen as a bigger success given the situation with this team, this year

jmo
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I should have used periods: None. None at all.
Deleted User 89

lol
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pmBut my question is, if we ended up winning the conference with a record of 11-7 and sharing it with 2, 3, or 4 other teams, how much, if any, would that cheapen the streak?
None! None at all!
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I am sure your resume with Saluki nation, Assistant Manager of the Dairy Queen and Orr holder at Madame Horse, uh, horse holder at Madame Orr's House is quite impressive....
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In my opinion, the story of the streak is (or will be, anyway) in how exactly it survived. The shares are very much, then, a part of the story. As are the injuries, suspensions, blown calls, no-call banks, etc.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think it would add fuel to the fire for the critics who try to cheapen the achievement now.

We've never lost more than 5 conference games during the streak. If we win it going 11-7, which is barely above .500, I think people would be pretty critical that you can win your conference title being two bad nights away from a .500 record.

People already bring up the unbalanced schedule and ties as ways to demean our accomplishment. If there was a 3,4, or 5-way tie, people are going to point out that half the conference wins the title so it's not really an impressive accomplishment.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 am

No doubt.

Which is exactly why whatever was done in the past means nothing. They're setting new precedents. And that makes me nervous.
It's still surprising to me that they're taking actions now, before anything has really come to light about Nike.
Will anything even come to light about Nike now? Seems iffy.
Adidas wasn't bidding against themselves. Ask Sean Miller...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
joeballs

Post by joeballs »

KU was a couple of games back of the leader half to 2/3 of the way through the conference season a couple of years ago, and won thanks to some surprising losses by the other contenders. That could happen again, but somehow I am not feeling it.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm I am sure your resume with Saluki nation, Assistant Manager of the Dairy Queen and Orr holder at Madame Horse, uh, horse holder at Madame Orr's House is quite impressive....
I'm going to assume your resume doesn't include anything about being a professional comedian because that was not funny.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

joeballs wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 pm KU was a couple of games back of the leader half to 2/3 of the way through the conference season a couple of years ago, and won thanks to some surprising losses by the other contenders. That could happen again, but somehow I am not feeling it.
While surprising losses could happen, that scenario also required KU to finish strong. I have far less confidence in that this year than I do a few upsets at the top.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sitting at 6-4, thinking that 12-6 is the lowest comfort point...

OSU
@TCU
WVU
@Tech
KSU
@OSU
@OU
Baylor

I think it's pretty clear...if we sweep @Tech, KSU and Baylor games we'll be fine. I am confident that, given wins in those, we won't lose more than two of the other games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Friggin' Stillwater game still left on the schedule.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm Friggin' Stillwater game still left on the schedule.
Yeah. But just don't lose to the other contenders and you can survive a bonehead loss like that.
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm I am sure your resume with Saluki nation, Assistant Manager of the Dairy Queen and Orr holder at Madame Horse, uh, horse holder at Madame Orr's House is quite impressive....
I'm going to assume your resume doesn't include anything about being a professional comedian because that was not funny.
Google
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Lonestarjayhawk

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm Friggin' Stillwater game still left on the schedule.
Looking at Tait's prediction, we lose at Stoolwater and fall into a 4-way tie. If we win there and the rest of Tait's prediction works out, we win by one and there is a 3-way tie for second.

Tight.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor