Och

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Och

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:50 am Seems like there is a knock on guys who stay in college "too long" as well.
Anyone think Davion Mitchell or Jared Butler's draft stock is impacted by staying college too long?

If you play like an NBA guy, NBA teams will draft you. Dotson was a very nice college player but he was reluctant to shoot and wasn't a great distributor of the ball so he didn't get drafted. Agbaji seems like he has an NBA game, he just hasn't found that spark to turn it up to a high enough level consistently. I think if he showed up next year with a next level game like everyone seems to believe he is capable of that he would get drafted. I just don't see it yet and don't know why an NBA team would yet, either. Who knows, everyone is in a different position.
He's also only 20, and is ahead of schedule. He was going to redshirt as a freshman, he's still improving a lot.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:50 am Seems like there is a knock on guys who stay in college "too long" as well.
Anyone think Davion Mitchell or Jared Butler's draft stock is impacted by staying college too long?
Yes.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I bet the baylor boys feel pretty good about their decision to stay in school.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:27 pm I bet the baylor boys feel pretty good about their decision to stay in school.
Agreed!
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 pm
All-likable team??? Why not:

Devonte
Och
Ben
Cole
Sasha

Not sure you're winning many games with that frontcourt, but hey.
1. Tyler
2. Matt "Two Minutes of Fury" Kleinmann
3. Witherspoon
4. Conner
5. Me
Ain't no seats
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Declares without agent.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Next year might be rough.

It's starting feel like 2019 but with less fire power.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:06 pm Declares without agent.
Weird. I thought they could have agents now? This is not a good way to get good feedback, but maybe it means he is likely to come back.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sorry. I’m used to old rules. He is but doing everything to maintain eligibility.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gotcha. Yes, he is getting an agent, but seems like door could be open. Sure sounds like he is gone, though.

“First, I would like to thank God for blessing me and giving me the opportunity to wake up every day and play the game I love. Thank you to my family for their love and constant support since day one,” Agbaji said in a statement on Thursday. “By coming to KU, I gained an extended family that I will forever appreciate. From my teammates, to my coaches, support staff and the fans, you are simply the best! Thank you to Coach Self and the entire coaching staff for trusting me and pushing me each and every day. Not only have I become a better player but an even better man.”

Agbaji, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, will retain NCAA eligibility while testing the draft waters. Per NCAA rules, student-athletes can participate in the NBA draft process if withdrawn by Monday, July 19.

“I will be keeping my NCAA eligibility throughout this process and look forward to hearing from NBA professionals on ways I can improve my game. This is a great opportunity as I work towards my goal of being a professional basketball player,” Agbaji added.

“Ochai and I talked a lot about his basketball future over the past couple of weeks so he could determine what was best for he and his family moving forward,” said head coach Bill Self. “After thinking that through, he made the decision to enter the NBA Draft. He clearly has a skill set that translates well to the professional game, and the NBA draft process will be a great opportunity for him to be evaluated. He will sign with an agent, but will continue follow the guidelines set by the NCAA and NBA to protect his collegiate eligibility. Och will be able to gain great insight on what areas he needs to work on which could improve his draft stock. I know that will be beneficial for him this year before he decides whether he should come back or remain in the NBA Draft process.”
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

“Sure sounds like he is gone, though.“

not at all what i took from that

he’s looking for feedback on how to improve his draft stock...he isn’t really improving his stock for this year’s draft, unless he absolutely wows in work-outs
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Kind of feels like with the way player movement works now, Self could almost make the decision for him. He could go fill Och's scholarship next week if he wanted to. I think KU would gladly find a spot for him if he pulls his name out if the draft, but they certainly hold some of the power here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good luck Och!

(Genuinely curious whether he has nba range.)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:17 pm “Sure sounds like he is gone, though.“

not at all what i took from that

he’s looking for feedback on how to improve his draft stock...he isn’t really improving his stock for this year’s draft, unless he absolutely wows in work-outs
I think it's more just the overall feel, official statement from the program. At best, it's a statement that he has no idea what he's going to do. But you, like me, want him to come back, so certainly was looking for that "keep the door open" comment.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I honestly wouldn't be too worried about him leaving. Our backcourt is actually pretty loaded even without Och. Yesefu, Braun, Harris, and thompson is a hell of a group
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s Self’s relationship with Och like?

Like I’m sure coach thinks he’s a good keed, but anyone have a scoop on, say, whether Self spent the whole season barking at Och to not stand around so much?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm Gotcha. Yes, he is getting an agent, but seems like door could be open. Sure sounds like he is gone, though.

“First, I would like to thank God for blessing me and giving me the opportunity to wake up every day and play the game I love. Thank you to my family for their love and constant support since day one,” Agbaji said in a statement on Thursday. “By coming to KU, I gained an extended family that I will forever appreciate. From my teammates, to my coaches, support staff and the fans, you are simply the best! Thank you to Coach Self and the entire coaching staff for trusting me and pushing me each and every day. Not only have I become a better player but an even better man.”

Agbaji, a native of Kansas City, Missouri, will retain NCAA eligibility while testing the draft waters. Per NCAA rules, student-athletes can participate in the NBA draft process if withdrawn by Monday, July 19.

“I will be keeping my NCAA eligibility throughout this process and look forward to hearing from NBA professionals on ways I can improve my game. This is a great opportunity as I work towards my goal of being a professional basketball player,” Agbaji added.

“Ochai and I talked a lot about his basketball future over the past couple of weeks so he could determine what was best for he and his family moving forward,” said head coach Bill Self. “After thinking that through, he made the decision to enter the NBA Draft. He clearly has a skill set that translates well to the professional game, and the NBA draft process will be a great opportunity for him to be evaluated. He will sign with an agent, but will continue follow the guidelines set by the NCAA and NBA to protect his collegiate eligibility. Och will be able to gain great insight on what areas he needs to work on which could improve his draft stock. I know that will be beneficial for him this year before he decides whether he should come back or remain in the NBA Draft process.”
Because proactively following the rules has helped us so much before.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:26 pm What’s Self’s relationship with Och like?

Like I’m sure coach thinks he’s a good keed, but anyone have a scoop on, say, whether Self spent the whole season barking at Och to not stand around so much?
Maybe Och was barking at Self to run a goddamn set to get him better looks and a chance to finish an alley oop (remember those!).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Somebody would have to be capable of throwing one
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:35 pm Somebody would have to be capable of throwing one
If I were Och, before making a final decision, I would want to know:

1. Is KU playing in the NCAA tournament in 2022, and;

2. Who is going to be the point guard.