Och

Kansas Basketball.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Re: Och

Post by InfiniteJ »

He's gone. I think he knows there's a chance he might have to go the G-League/Overseas route and I think he's cool with that.

Knowing I might catch one in the chest for this question, I'll go ahead and ask it anyways:

What are the odds Coach Self is nudging him out of the nest?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:28 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:26 pm What’s Self’s relationship with Och like?

Like I’m sure coach thinks he’s a good keed, but anyone have a scoop on, say, whether Self spent the whole season barking at Och to not stand around so much?
Maybe Och was barking at Self to run a goddamn set to get him better looks and a chance to finish an alley oop (remember those!).
I think Och knew better than to do that, after seeing how it went when TGIF tried it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm He's gone. I think he knows there's a chance he might have to go the G-League/Overseas route and I think he's cool with that.

Knowing I might catch one in the chest for this question, I'll go ahead and ask it anyways:

Slim to none.
Hes better than anyone we can get.
Hes a sure fire starter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, maaaaybe there’s some behind the scenes something between him and coach, but it just seems so unlikely.

It’s not like he’s Lagerald.

ETA the one way that might hold water is if coach thinks Och should be removed as part of the depussification purge in the program right now, but still
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

“I will be keeping my NCAA eligibility throughout this process and look forward to hearing from NBA professionals on ways I can improve my game. This is a great opportunity as I work towards my goal of being a professional basketball player,” Agbaji added.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he was being pushed out, but I guess there's always a chance for everything. It's certainly not a bad thing for the program if Och gets drafted by an NBA team at the end of the summer.

I just can't think of a good reason Bill wouldn't want him back for next season--seeing no benefit of not having him for 2022. Garrett's a little different story, just fit-wise.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:38 pm He's gone. I think he knows there's a chance he might have to go the G-League/Overseas route and I think he's cool with that.

Slim to none.
Hes a sure fire starter.
Ya.

I don't think he's gone and i don't think Self would force out our 1st or 2nd best player.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:03 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:52 pm

Slim to none.
Hes a sure fire starter.
Ya.

I don't think he's gone and i don't think Self would force out our 1st or 2nd best player.
I mean, Xavi, but way different circumstances.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Xavier may have considered staying in a fleeting moment but there was no actual way he was staying.

Carl would have forged signatures and dressed up like his son.

Self didn't force him out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I don’t recall that vibe with X.

He was pretty explicitly OAD all along.

The only way Self maybe “forced” him out is if Self advised that lotto money.

Now, C.J., on the other hand...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sure the convo was like this,
X comes in to Self and seems pretty bummed,
"Coach, I don't know what to do. My dad says I gotta go and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go lotto. But also I love it here. What would you do?"
"You're guaranteed 1st round X, you have my blessing. I'm not gonna stop you from staying but if it were me, i'd listen to your dad and sign with an agent."
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

If Bishop takes Ochai's scholarship and then Ochai ultimately decides to come back to school, who gets the boot?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Bishop.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am If Bishop takes Ochai's scholarship and then Ochai ultimately decides to come back to school, who gets the boot?
We're one under right now before counting Ochai, right? Jossell?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Very low, in my opinion because there aren't players out there available who are better than him.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If Agbaji goes through the evaluation process and comes out thinking he is ready for the NBA, maybe that tells us why his mindset wasn't right this year. He has the tools to be Oubre, but he doesn't bring them every game.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

japhy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:57 am If Agbaji goes through the evaluation process and comes out thinking he is ready for the NBA, maybe that tells us why his mindset wasn't right this year. He has the tools to be Oubre, but he doesn't bring them every game.
Well, Oubs has an insane 7'3" wingspan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, Oubre is built more like a prototypical nba swingman.

Och is less exceptional size by league standards, but could be billed as more of a pure shooter?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If he gwts 1000 shots up a day between now and july
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Och's shooting stroke has improved significantly in each season b/c the staff changed his shot, and it may still be getting better.

I know I have compared him to the type of player and production of Svi, but consider Svi went from .398 to .444 between year 3 and 4.

Och's progression has been: .307, .338, .377.

With a true point guard, I think .400+ is a lock if he comes back and believe he will hover around .400 with the better NBA spacing.