Jussie Smollett

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Jussie Smollett

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:24 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:21 pm What am I missing?
All charges dropped. CPD reportedly furious with Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx.

"The stunning decision to drop the 16 counts of disorderly conduct was presumably made without the input of State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who recused herself from the case last month after revealing she’d had contact with Smollett’s representatives early on in the investigation.

Foxx declined to provide details at the time. Communications later released to the Tribune, however, showed Foxx had asked Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn over the investigation to the FBI after she was approached by a politically connected lawyer about the case."
Yikes.

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:21 pm What am I missing?
Barr is also moonlighting as State Attorney of Illinois.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 am
chiknbut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:24 pm

All charges dropped. CPD reportedly furious with Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx.

"The stunning decision to drop the 16 counts of disorderly conduct was presumably made without the input of State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, who recused herself from the case last month after revealing she’d had contact with Smollett’s representatives early on in the investigation.

Foxx declined to provide details at the time. Communications later released to the Tribune, however, showed Foxx had asked Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn over the investigation to the FBI after she was approached by a politically connected lawyer about the case."
Yikes.

Allow me a second here:

Smollet is a scumbag for what he appears to have done.

Let's assume there was no hate crime. So the punishable activity was in submitting false information to the police.

Serious question - how often does this happen in a city the size of Chicago during the course of a year? I'm guessing dozens of times.

And how many of those get prosecuted? Given the volume of cases in Cook County, I would guess less than a handful.

The only reason this case is any different from any other in this city is because of the celebrity angle. And because of this celebrity, this caused an increased amount of attention on a case that would have, most likely, been dismissed.

So this case was dismissed.

Is the decision of the State's Attorney wrong? I'm no Kim Foxx fan. But this case, which cost the City a lot of money, is not worth all this attention.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Well...that plus the fact that he was/is willing to testify against his "attackers."
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 pm Well...that plus the fact that he was/is willing to testify against his "attackers."
Yes. But at this point it's become as absurd as OJ saying he's still trying to hunt down Nicole's killers.

The best thing to come out of this is that he will just fade away. Or at least I hope so.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:24 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 pm Well...that plus the fact that he was/is willing to testify against his "attackers."
Yes. But at this point it's become as absurd as OJ saying he's still trying to hunt down Nicole's killers.

The best thing to come out of this is that he will just fade away. Or at least I hope so.
But, what about enabling gay/uppity Black privilege?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

You're broken.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

So.....
The "new" trial is as big of a fiasco as the old one was.
I have edited this post.

If I wanted to be cynical and look too deep in to this, I might think the brothers are on the take from Smollette's "people" and purposely lying to the point where they want the attorneys and judge to KNOW it's obvious they are lying.
Then again, like I said, this entire case is a fiasco so who the f really knows?

If anyone cares, this guy is doing a good job of tweeting about it. Don't click on the Tribune link, just click on his name and check out what he's been tweeting.

https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1466422924496314377
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I'm not following the trial anymore but I do know that at least one person is lying.
Let's see who if anyone goes to jail for doing as such - just for perjury if nothing else.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I haven't paid too much attention to this. Such a weird case. Without hearing any testimony, I'm inclined to believe JS set himself up. I heard the two guys got a check from him. If this is the case, that would seem to point to his guilt.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Guilty all of the first 5 counts.
His lovely punishment is...... A slap on the wrist.
What a fricking waste of time and tax payer money.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 pm Guilty all of the first 5 counts.
nbc just reported that 1) he could face up to 3 years in jail, and 2) the city of Chicago is suing him for the cost of the investigation…more than $100k
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 pm Guilty all of the first 5 counts.
They sentenced him already?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

He deserves to do time and to reimburse the taxpayers. Absolutely ridiculous behavior.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:45 pm
nbc just reported that 1) he could face up to 3 years in jail, and 2) the city of Chicago is suing him for the cost of the investigation…more than $100k
1) Could but I'm confident won't. Especially since he's a free man tonight.
2) Chump change when he has a who's who of wealthy people who will happily pay it for him if need be.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:50 pm
They sentenced him already?
No but they let him walk away a free man until the sentencing. I don't foresee him doing any jail time.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:53 pm He deserves to do time and to reimburse the taxpayers. Absolutely ridiculous behavior.
I agree, I agree, and I agree.
I'm upset (mildly) that he most likely committed perjury, I'm upset (mildly) that he most likely lied to the police who investigated the case, I'm upset (more than mildly) that he created even more division in an already very divided city.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:53 pm He deserves to do time and to reimburse the taxpayers. Absolutely ridiculous behavior.
I'm upset (more than mildly) that he created even more division in an already very divided city.
I think this is the most egregious of his offenses.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:47 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:39 pm
I'm upset (more than mildly) that he created even more division in an already very divided city.
I think this is the most egregious of his offenses.
This is what needs to be punished. The next time a gay person or black person is assaulted for real, the lobsters of the world will deny that it happened because of this guy and what he has falsely alleged. He has done a major disservice to the principles he claimed to have and people who will be victimized in the future. His discretions should not be forgotten.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

so wait, this dude deserves punishment but cosby deserves to walk free?