I've moved on

Kansas Basketball.
Leawood

I've moved on

Post by Leawood »

Watched all the post-game interviews. Coach Self hinted that this team, with its current make-up, reached its ceiling. I think he's right.

I also like the way he took last night's game in stride.

Good season under the circumstances. Not great.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: I've moved on

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Leawood wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 pmCoach Self hinted that this team, with its current make-up, reached its ceiling.
This is an interesting point. It's hard to disagree w/ Self on that.

I am genuinely curious as to how Self views his position/job right now.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I would guess a lot of that depends on what he knows about the NCAA and what it is or is not doing. I would imagine, given what we know, that he's half angry, half despondent. Can't be a whole lotta joy in being the Kansas coach these days.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What helps is winning, and we sure didn't do a whole lot of that this season. The off court issues are spilling over onto the court. De Sousa very obviously. Vick obviously. Even w/ Udoka's injury, Self was pretty pissed about how Udoka's camp handled that. Recruiting is down.

I think he's really pissed about the NCAA stuff. And as much as I think he wants to stay and fight, he has to be understandably worried about the unknown of it all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think I moved on sometime in January. But it still sucks. This was the least enjoyable team to watch in a couple decades. That's what scares me about next year. Not the end result so much as the lack of enjoyment in the process.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:08 pm
Leawood wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 pmCoach Self hinted that this team, with its current make-up, reached its ceiling.

I don't think he has anything to worry about yet. It's not like there's a better option out there for us either. Jay Wright ain't coming here, and he had a worse loss than Self did yesterday. Jay would be my no.1 choice if Self left, but I know Wright is very content at Nova.

I would blame Self more for the '11 loss to VCU than anything else. That was the one year I would say he was to blame for fucking that up. But this year? Can't blame him for anything considering how things played out with our roster.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 pm Watched all the post-game interviews. Coach Self hinted that this team, with its current make-up, reached its ceiling. I think he's right.

I also like the way he took last night's game in stride.

Good season under the circumstances. Not great.
I can’t muster any feel-good about how the roster, as composed at the end, did vis a vis its ceiling.

One, Self doesn’t get a pass from me on Silvio or Vick or Grimes or Moore. He is not compensated at the top of the sport just for being a good game coach.

And also - the play on the floor doesn’t support a conclusion that he even did a good job as a game coach! The defensive scheme was shit, and effort and focus were consistent issues. These things should be givens, regardless of who’s available to play.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:46 pm

I don't think he has anything to worry about yet. It's not like there's a better option out there for us either. Jay Wright ain't coming here, and he had a worse loss than Self did yesterday. Jay would be my no.1 choice if Self left, but I know Wright is very content at Nova.

I would blame Self more for the '11 loss to VCU than anything else. That was the one year I would say he was to blame for fucking that up. But this year? Can't blame him for anything considering how things played out with our roster.
You misunderstood, I'm not at all saying Self is in danger of being fired.

But you can absolutely blame Self for "how things played out with our roster."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

HCBS is one of the best 5-6-7-8 coaches in college basketball.

We had a down year by our standards. I’m rugged. I can muscle through it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 pm
lobster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:46 pm

You misunderstood, I'm not at all saying Self is in danger of being fired.

But you can absolutely blame Self for "how things played out with our roster."
I'm sure he's not content at all with his effort. I'm sure he is looking at any possible way he can avoid this situation again.

I guess we agree to disagree about the roster. I can't blame our coach if an asteroid hits AFH.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Again. The only real "asteroid" was Doks injury.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 pm HCBS is one of the best 5-6-7-8 coaches in college basketball.

We had a down year by our standards. I’m rugged. I can muscle through it.
None of which invalidates anything CnB or Fish posted. Self/KU had a down year, which is to say that they both performed poorly by their standards.

Ball don't lie.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

And a down year for KU is not continuing all-time record conference streak, not getting to the Sweet 16, but continuing an all-time record consecutive years in the tournament, and being a 4 seed or higher for 19 years straight.
Last edited by kubandalum on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:36 pm Again. The only real "asteroid" was Doks injury.
Yup.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:36 pm Again. The only real "asteroid" was Doks injury.
Yup.
I think it proved to be an extinction level event.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Eh. We could have survived it if Silvio was eligible, or if Grimes didn't suck, or if Vick's head was right.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yep. We weather the Udoka injury fine if it weren't for the De Sousa stuff.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm
Yup.
Agreed. Completely different season otherwise
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The analogy makes 0 sense--even for this board, it's out of nowhere.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:38 pm
The analogy makes 0 sense--even for this board, it's out of nowhere.
I think he means that of the many things that went wrong, that was the only truly unlucky one (although Doke's injury history means you probably should have figured he'd miss time).