Royals

Other Sports.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Royals

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Arguing against downtown baseball is funny.

Saying there isn’t enough parking is funny.

The Royals leaving is gonna be funny.
shindig

Post by shindig »

The entire process was a mess. It was rushed with little planning. At the time the ballot language came out, we still didn't know where the new Royals ballpark was going. It was either North KC or the East Village. Then out of the blue, the East Crossroads was chosen, which meant tearing down small businesses and forcing them to re-locate. That was the driving factor in a lot of people voting NO. I voted Yes because I want downtown baseball, but it seemed it was a moving target up to election day, things were constantly changing (i.e. the CBA wasn't announced until a week before the election, neither team had signed new long term leases, businesses in the Crossroads that would be impacted weren't even spoken to, etc.).

Voters have a right to know where their money is going and why. It wasn't laid out very well and the "threats" of leaving Jackson County, especially with the Chiefs who own Kansas City now, weren't appreciated by a lot of folks. And the Chiefs came out with a boring "upgrade" to Arrowhead that didn't have a "wow" factor. I think a lot people felt this was rushed, including me, and I hope the Chiefs/Royals hire someone that understands how to run a campaign of sorts when they come back with new plans.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:52 am The entire process was a mess. It was rushed with little planning. At the time the ballot language came out, we still didn't know where the new Royals ballpark was going. It was either North KC or the East Village. Then out of the blue, the East Crossroads was chosen, which meant tearing down small businesses and forcing them to re-locate. That was the driving factor in a lot of people voting NO. I voted Yes because I want downtown baseball, but it seemed it was a moving target up to election day, things were constantly changing (i.e. the CBA wasn't announced until a week before the election, neither team had signed new long term leases, businesses in the Crossroads that would be impacted weren't even spoken to, etc.).

Voters have a right to know where their money is going and why. It wasn't laid out very well and the "threats" of leaving Jackson County, especially with the Chiefs who own Kansas City now, weren't appreciated by a lot of folks. And the Chiefs came out with a boring "upgrade" to Arrowhead that didn't have a "wow" factor. I think a lot people felt this was rushed, including me, and I hope the Chiefs/Royals hire someone that understands how to run a campaign of sorts when they come back with new plans.
Agree with all of this.

The Royals offered, in the end, an A- plan with a D+ rollout. The Chiefs offered a D+ plan with an N/A rollout.

Whether arrogantly, strategically, or a combination of both, the teams both did not do NEARLY a good enough job convincing non-fans that this sort of public spend was justifiable.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:36 am Arguing against downtown baseball is funny.

I could take the train to Yankee Stadium or Shea. Philly was off 295--like I-70. Like Royals stadium. Planning for access and parking was non existent in this late to need proposal for downtown without infrastructure. I am all about watching baseball, not trying to avoid late night muggings. Or a Starbucks with Wally after one of the 81 days there are games. Nothing would keep them from reneging on that park later either. They either commit to the fanbase or not. There were 1,000,000 fans clogging the Union Station area in 2015. Anywhere you put a downtown stadium has to be safe, not displace historic buildings, be accessible with parking that does not displace business and resident parking, and have a great view. That really takes time and the city should help coordinate it. I also hope it is as comfortable and beautiful as Royals Stadium. It is the best baseball experience I have had. Including some new ones. My dad would not go to Memorial Stadium in downtown. Kaufman built a park to take the views inside the park. And to be commuter friendly. Not a bad seat.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Sparko wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:33 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:36 am Arguing against downtown baseball is funny.

I could take the train to Yankee Stadium or Shea. Philly was off 295--like I-70. Like Royals stadium. Planning for access and parking was non existent in this late to need proposal for downtown without infrastructure. I am all about watching baseball, not trying to avoid late night muggings. Or a Starbucks with Wally after one of the 81 days there are games. Nothing would keep them from reneging on that park later either. They either commit to the fanbase or not. There were 1,000,000 fans clogging the Union Station area in 2015. Anywhere you put a downtown stadium has to be safe, not displace historic buildings, be accessible with parking that does not displace business and resident parking, and have a great view. That really takes time and the city should help coordinate it. I also hope it is as comfortable and beautiful as Royals Stadium. It is the best baseball experience I have had. Including some new ones. My dad would not go to Memorial Stadium in downtown. Kaufman built a park to take the views inside the park. And to be commuter friendly. Not a bad seat.
Yeah, I'm torn as well, even though I voted Yes. I don't understand why the City and the Chiefs/Royals haven't at least "attempted" to build up the area around the Truman Sports Complex. I mean even nice landscaping would do wonders. I think the late Kauffman built and owned the Adams Mark hotel across I-70 and it's closed I believe. I almost wonder if both teams want to even stay there now with the half ass rollout the Chiefs did and of course Sherman stating after 2030 the Royals will not play at Kauffman. Seeing the two stadiums side by side is cool and was so well thought out. I think part of people voting No was the major clusterfvck with Property Taxes (some people's property taxes more than doubled) and it's been a mess, thanks Frank White.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would handicap the Royals' odds as follows:

Downtown (or downtown-ish) - 70%
Braves-style McSkyline in Kansas - 25%
Gone - 5%
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:44 pm I would handicap the Royals' odds as follows:

Downtown (or downtown-ish) - 70%
Braves-style McSkyline in Kansas - 25%
Gone - 5%
I’d take action on gone.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Will Smith as a closer is not working. Thank God MacArthur got the 6-4-3. Q is starting to become salty enough to be a manager. Did not let Smith beat them last night. Almost did though. Still want Pratto and Waters back. And a flamethrower somewhere to close. Staumont could have been that guy.
Last edited by Sparko on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I guess I might go to a game this season, considering the stadium is right next to the home of the Jayhawks.

Smh
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:30 am I guess I might go to a game this season, considering the stadium is right next to the home of the Jayhawks.

Smh
Sit in the outfield. I was in the Pepsi porch area and had a blast the last couple of times. Brisket and Boulevard. And smack talk with Twins fans and OF.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’ve always enjoyed the K.

Also realize it’s time to play somewhere else for the city, if the team stays.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Royals stadium might be as iconic as Fenway over time. It also had a recent renovation. I think it likely the owners tried to botch the roll-out. The K isn't a bad venue at all and cannot be replicated quality wise downtown. It was built very well in a different era of high quality structural materials. So much could be brought to bear at the current location for a fraction of the cost. But I think they needed an excuse to cash out of KC. No sense beating ourselves up.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Five in a row. Good game tonight beating Houston
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 pm Five in a row. Good game tonight beating Houston
Really a pleasant surprise, being so used to the Royals being like 3-37 by Flag Day.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’m so negative about baseball in today’s game, and the way the Royals have been for several years now (again)…I almost want this smoke and mirrors not sucking stuff to end and go back to the norm.

Almost compelled to watch a game on TV. Almost.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we get 17 more someone call Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Chris Pratt.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:00 am If we get 17 more someone call Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Chris Pratt.
lol
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Vinnie getting hot=7 in a row. Jr. With two homers too. Nice whipping up on Houston
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bobby Witt also cooking.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mets this weekend. . .