Royals

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Royals

Post by pdub »

That's not what fans wanting a salary cap means.

How about instead we just implement a salary cap, say 250 million, and a floor of 100 million, and on top of that those owners have to pay more taxes to the United States government which then allocates those dollars appropriately.

If you're worried about the owners not using their money to serve the fans/i.e. the common man then there's your solve. MLB salaries are 4 million dollars + on average a year. Fans probably closer to 75k.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:12 pm That's not what fans wanting a salary cap means.

How about instead we just implement a salary cap, say 250 million, and a floor of 100 million, and on top of that those owners have to pay more taxes to the United States government which then allocates those dollars appropriately.

If you're worried about the owners not using their money to serve the fans/i.e. the common man then there's your solve. MLB salaries are 4 million dollars + on average a year.
I mean, fine. But that’s obviously fantasyland,
* and beside the point anyway.

What I want is owners to spend their money on fielding consistently competitive baseball teams. In my opinion, there are ways to encourage/reward that, without resorting to a system that lets owners simply pocket more of the pot.

* To be abundantly clear, this isn’t one bit meant as dismissive or condescending to YOU. Because we have clashed so bitterly on NCAA stuff, I want to be a billion percent clear that my beef isn’t with you. I think you and I fundamentally agree here, and I’m not at all trying to pick a fight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Work with the player union to increase the average spend of MLB as a whole, and base it on a worked out and open percentage of revenue, and then integrate a salary floor and cap would be my solve.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:26 pm Work with the player union to increase the average spend of MLB as a whole, and base it on a worked out and open percentage of revenue, and then integrate a salary floor and cap would be my solve.
I’m ok with that. But to this point the owners have not put forward anything compelling enough (to the players union) to engage. I’m all for moving ahead down this path.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh, for sure, i'm on bored with fuck the owners to the max, I agree they all largely should be doing better to benefit baseball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:36 pm Oh, for sure, i'm on bored with fuck the owners to the max, I agree they all largely should be doing better to benefit baseball.
The sticky part - and this fascinates me vis a vis the Royals situation - is that at some point the players will hold the owners’ feet to the fire on excluding ancillary development revenue from revenue calculation/sharing.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

At this point, it’s almost fun to see them lose everyday. Like maybe we are witnessing history!

This team is so far from even middling, lol.

Maybe they can move back to Oakland once the A’s leave for Vegas.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Vinnie out for the season.

You can't trade Salvy because he is so much the last bit of good on the Royals...but you probably should.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:23 am Vinnie out for the season.

You can't trade Salvy because he is so much the last bit of good on the Royals...but you probably should.
I believe he has full no-trade rights (as a 10-and-5 guy). That said, if he wants to play for a contender (Miami?), and the contender wants to give something of value for him, I think you've got to take it.

The problem with being cheap AND being two years away from being two years away, is that the major leaguers you DO have right now aren't likely to even be on the roster when you're ready to be good.

Sadly, yes, that includes the guys who might end up being good (very much including Witt and Vinnie and MJ and so on).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:45 am

I believe he has full no-trade rights (as a 10-and-5 guy). That said, if he wants to play for a contender (Miami?), and the contender wants to give something of value for him, I think you've got to take it.

The problem with being cheap AND being two years away from being two years away, is that the major leaguers you DO have right now aren't likely to even be on the roster when you're ready to be good.

Sadly, yes, that includes the guys who might end up being good (very much including Witt and Vinnie and MJ and so on).
Miami needs a catcher. Salvy lives there in the offseason. Makes too much sense.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:45 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:45 am

Miami needs a catcher. Salvy lives there in the offseason. Makes too much sense.
Yep, that's the one that stands out to me.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We get all the Cinci games here on Bally so I got to see the Royals for the last three games.

Yuck. What happened?

BTW I hate the Cinci announcers. One of them kept pronouncing Salvy's name as PAIR ez. The other dude, Cowboy?, didn't have anything good to say about the Royals. Which, neither does anyone else, but some Cinci dude named Cowboy can't insult our team.
Defense. Rebounds.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

My FIL was always so mad at the Rockies announcers for Mis-pronouncing Jimenez. I still cringe when I hear it Je-men-azz.

Also, if Salvy would like to be traded, he deserves to be traded. With recent Royals leaks, however, it seems likely if he asks for such a thing, it might be leak and he could potentially be vilified by many (yes, it would happen if this scenario played out).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This (along with tax considerations) is sort of my point on why I am just not at all sympathetic to the “we lose money every year!” talking point.

https://twitter.com/bizballmaury/status ... PzNG4aOfKQ
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:45 am Sparko, I've followed some of your Royals posts. This is what I see.

Matheny sucks.
Matheny is incompetent.
Q is a cheap hire who is learning on the job (True)
Q is a terrible manager.
Q is grossly ineffective.

Without going into every post, I don't see a lot about Dayton Moore, JJ or even Sherman. In baseball, you need to look at the front office before the day-to-day coaching staff. They're there to manage, they don't do a whole lot of coaching because almost all of these guys have their own personal coaches that they use in the offseason and the season is just about staying available every day.
That is fair, but Q is the worst I have ever seen at generating offense, controlling the defenses and managing pitching. The current gut-wrenching streak is a fan interest killer. The Royals schedule has been loaded with great teams though. Really scratching my head on the logic of it.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Nice win by the Royals over the Angels this afternoon!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I haven’t heard anything about the Royals farm system and they don’t have any unanimous top 100 prospects.

So…get used to this?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Free agents are the way of things. Beni, Merrifield, Soler, O'Hearn. Missed. FAs are the only quick answer for production. The kids in the lineup will get better with time and coaching
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Q blew it tonight. Again. Left Lyles, who has been dogged by huge innings and has zero wins as a Royal, in to pitch the 7th. Then brought in journeyman arm to stop the bleeding. 4-1 turned to 6-4. Royals struck out 10 times looking. There are few times in my life where I can say almost anyone would be better as a leader. This is one. Promote a Royals Farm system guy. Get Q out. Super nice guy though.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:16 pm Free agents are the way of things. Beni, Merrifield, Soler, O'Hearn. Missed. FAs are the only quick answer for production. The kids in the lineup will get better with time and coaching
If the coaches are good...