Royals

Other Sports.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Royals

Post by Sparko »

Explain to me why the Front Office made a clownish trade of Homer Bailey? Could have made this deal during the Allstar break. Traded for yet another utility infielder. Were already getting to use Bailey basically for no money thanks to the Dodger's contract. Disrupted the chemistry of the team when they were playing well and literally shit on everyone who bought tickets today. The pen was already whipped from the injury Friday night. It was another one of those incredibly silly decisions. Bailey had some value--sure could have used another lefty. Galling,
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Well I will defend Moore and Royals here. You had a guy who wasn't going to be here past the 2019 season. So you get a former 1st round pick from 2 years ago in exchange for 2 1/2 months of a 4th or 5th starter. Good deal in my eyes.

Some notes about this guy they got.
Some say he's the fastest player in the minors (Moore loves speed)
Most say he is a more natural fit in CF (Billy Hamilton started as INF before he went to OF in Cincy)
17th best prospect in A's system. Will arguably be a top 15 prospect for KC.

All of that for a guy who will be a 4th starter on a fringe playoff team for 2 1/2 months. I'll take it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I get the trade, but supposedly the return guy can't hit.

Should fit right in.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And yet, sometimes those guys figure it out. It's purely a numbers game - the system needs as many guys as possible with at least a fringe-average toolkit. The more guys like that you've got, the greater the likelihood that one or two will pop and become an average regular. Tons of value there.

I'm fine with the trade, and couldn't care less about the effect it might have had on chemistry. As for the fans...how things played out yesterday was sub-obtimal, sure, but if Bailey goes out there and even tweaks something, the deal is dead.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And some people forget that for the Royals, organizational depth is far more important than a pitcher on an expiring deal pitching for a team going nowhere on a Sunday afternoon.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 am Well I will defend Moore and Royals here. You had a guy who wasn't going to be here past the 2019 season. So you get a former 1st round pick from 2 years ago in exchange for 2 1/2 months of a 4th or 5th starter. Good deal in my eyes.

Some notes about this guy they got.
Some say he's the fastest player in the minors (Moore loves speed)
Most say he is a more natural fit in CF (Billy Hamilton started as INF before he went to OF in Cincy)
17th best prospect in A's system. Will arguably be a top 15 prospect for KC.

All of that for a guy who will be a 4th starter on a fringe playoff team for 2 1/2 months. I'll take it.
Comes in at 14 according to MLB. Moore and Co should make that trade every day of the freaking week.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Royals shed pitchers like a fire sale during 2015. They need additional arms. The Royals have the best fielding percentage in baseball right now and are actually hitting. To me, they should have gotten more or at least locked the deal down earlier. They just bet the franchise on Witt. They may have more depth at ss any team. And less pitching. Moore has been MIA getting serviceable bullpen guys. The team was turning around. The second half is now is pretty dire.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'd also argue that this season is going nowhere. Why try to really even compete this year. Tank and get a high pick again.

The Royals now probably have the best overall group of starting pitching in the farm system. They just have to get here and it may be 2021 before that happens.

This season was expected. I predicted a better record, but that was before Salvy had TJ surgery. Royals fans shouldn't expect a winning team until 2021.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am generally of the opinion that this team is so far away from being competitive that all player acquisitions should be on a "best player available" basis, without regard for position or specific skillset.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm I am generally of the opinion that this team is so far away from being competitive that all player acquisitions should be on a "best player available" basis, without regard for position or specific skillset.
This really isn’t true though. The Royals have blown leads more than 60 times. The starting nine is looking pretty good. I am currently watching the horror show that is Scott Barlow with a three run lead. The lack of a bullpen by the team who invented HDH is inexcusable. It has been key in the collapse.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Well, you get your wish.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

That is where the must-haves are
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wil Myers: just a throw-in for the Monty trade. We fleeced 'em!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have come around on this trade. Getting an average-or-worse pitcher isn't going to save the season, or change anything about next year's trajectory. But, I suspect when Montgomery is dealt next summer or summer 2021, we'll look at the return and say that was much better than we would have got for Maldonado this summer. And, in the meantime, we saved the pen a bit and allowed guys in the minors to stay in the minors.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Now trade Whit and Kennedy and tank this shit.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Royals were a couple of bullpen pitchers from winning this year. Some roster spots should have been filled by kids from the start. That starting nine is looking good.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

And as I type Mondesi dives and injures himself. 😡 But the defense has been sublime lately.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 pm The Royals were a couple of bullpen pitchers from winning this year. Some roster spots should have been filled by kids from the start. That starting nine is looking good.
I don't think two bullpen pitchers would have made the difference.
We are 22nd in runs scored, 19th in avg, 23rd in OBP, 24th in SLG.
Our starting pitching is middle of the line.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 pm Now trade Whit and Kennedy and tank this shit.
Saw somewhere that the Cubs want Whit badly. Seems the Cubs are at least entertaining the idea of offering Schwarber and a high end catching prospect for Whit. Royals want 3 MLB ready players.

Don't think Whit is traded this year.

Kennedy should be dealt by trade deadline. Return wouldn't be too incredibly high due to Kennedy's salary of $16.5M for this year and next before he's a FA.