Ugh.
defixione
Contributor

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by defixione »

twocoach wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:14 am
jfish26 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:32 am
TDub wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 am

well Randy insists thats trans is a mental illness....so I'm sure the powers that be will use that logic to determine that they arent competent adults.
Yes. Don't think this positioning is accidental. It would be PERFECTLY down the pub fairway to (1) agree to "people-pleasing" restrictions on gun buying/ownership for people with "mental health issues," and (2) in seemingly-unrelated legislation or litigation, codify transsexuality (or even LGBTQ+ status generally) as a "mental health issue."
Anyone who choose to be anything other than a white, male, church-going, gun owning alpha heterosexual clearly has mental health issues.
fyp
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hey Japhy!

You’re always looking for a tax cut right?

Cuz the grate state of Alabama just teed one up for ya.

They ruled that frozen embryos used for IVF can legally be considered people now too.

The case comes from when someone in a hospital accidentally dropped frozen embryos on the floor, rendering them no longer viable, and can now be held liable for wrongful death.

In his opinion, the Alabama Supreme Court chief justice repeatedly cited the Bible.

As for the tax hack: Japhy you gotta gather up hundreds, thousands, as many frozen embryos as you can, and claim them all as dependents.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Tommy Tubesteak serving it up for the rubes.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) said Thursday that he is “all for” the Alabama Supreme Court’s decision that frozen embryos are children.

He also said he opposes the effects of the ruling. And that he supports fertility treatments like IVF that are now being denied to women across his state as a result of the court’s ruling. And that he wants to read the legislation more closely before saying more — except there is no legislation.

The Alabama senator delivered this spectacular series of responses in the span of three minutes when asked for his reaction to the court’s unprecedented decision on Tuesday.

The ruling is already having a chilling effect on families and fertility clinics in the state, who are now at risk of being held liable for wrongful death if they destroy unused embryos. At least two Alabama health clinics have halted IVF treatments, a devastating development for families in the state trying to have children who cannot do so without fertility assistance.

Tuberville initially didn’t hesitate to praise the court’s ruling when asked about it by reporters attending the Conservative Political Action Conference.

“I was all for it,” the Republican senator said cheerfully. “You know, you just gotta look at everything going on in the country. It’s just an attack on families, an attack on kids. You know, anything we can do for the future of our young people because they’re our No. 1 commodity.”

His remarks made no sense, as families are now being denied the ability to try to have children through IVF. “We need to have more kids,” he continued. “We need to have an opportunity to do that. I thought this was the right thing to do.”

When it was pointed out that Alabama health clinics are halting IVF treatments as a result of the court decision, Tuberville started talking about abortion.

“Well, that’s for another conversation,” he said. “I think the big thing is, right now, you protect, you go back to the situation and try to work it out to where it’s best for everybody. I mean, that’s what the whole abortion issue is about.”

Except the court’s decision wasn’t about abortion. And the concern now is that families in Alabama might not have access to IVF anymore.

“I know, I know,” Tuberville said about that. “I agree, people need to have access. We need more kids. We need people to have the opportunity to have kids.”

HuffPost asked what he would say to women in Alabama who will no longer have access to IVF treatments as a result of this ruling. Tuberville said it was “unfortunate” and “hard.” “Really hard. Because again, you want people to have that opportunity,” he said. “We need more kids. I’d have to look at the entire bill, how it’s written. I have not seen it.”

Except there is no bill. This was an Alabama Supreme Court decision, not a bill passed by the state legislature.

“Well, I know that,” Tuberville snapped. “But I haven’t looked at it. This is a state issue.”

Huh?

When another reporter asked if he thought the court’s decision would alienate swing voters in the November general election, the senator shrugged.

“I don’t know, it might, some,” he said, downplaying its significance. “You don’t hear a lot of folks talk about it. That’s not a big conversation.”

Tuberville then backtracked and agreed that there is a conversation about this happening right now, and that fertility treatments are not a partisan issue.

“We don’t need that,” he said of the court’s decision halting IVF treatments. “We need people to have an opportunity to have kids.”

Another reporter asked Tuberville if he disagrees, then, with the court’s decision to treat embryos as children. This time, he simply feigned ignorance on it.

“I’d have to look at what they’re agreeing to or not agreeing to,” he replied, before walking away. “I haven’t seen that.”
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You are getting toward one of the only things I find to be “good” about the Alabama decision: at least it is logically consistent.

Now, I think it is wrong, and also wrong.

But parsing out when life is life is never going to find a consensus, let alone a scientific answer (at least at the rate we’re going to self-edit ourselves right out of the picture), so you might as well push yer chips to the center here.

(I will revisit this “praise” of Alabama’s logical consistency when it executes its next prisoner, which may well be tonight for all I know.)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, does freezing not constitute child abuse?

at what point does it?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:11 pm so, does freezing not constitute child abuse?

at what point does it?
Chillling. Janitor detained for murder for tripping breaker.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Howsabout this for a hot take:

The only reason you can freeze an embryo without it dying is cuz it’s NOT a human being
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 am Howsabout this for a hot take:

The only reason you can freeze an embryo without it dying is cuz it’s NOT a human being
The counter to that twitter meme I already saw is that it's just a human being at a cellular stage where it can be flash frozen.

We're starting to see all the things that people warned about when Roe v Wade was thrown out. This is only going to get worse.

If you think the brain drain on states like Alabama was bad before as anyone with a brain fled the state due to poor education opportunities, poor work opportunities and other societal problems, just wait until 5 years from now as kids growing up around this attack on women graduate from high school.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 am Howsabout this for a hot take:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... r%20growth.

A frozen embryo is not dead—it is still alive. Its metabolic rate only suffices to preserve its potential for sustaining life, not for development or growth.

I see you didn't take my advice...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:10 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:11 pm so, does freezing not constitute child abuse?

at what point does it?
Chillling. Janitor detained for murder for tripping breaker.
Who do you arrest for murder if their power grid goes down due to poor funding and upkeep?

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/st ... 811193001/
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Abortion should be a personal choice for a woman or between partners.

Not some hot take bullshit attempt at a joke on a messageboard by a man who doesn't have sex enough to worry about the topic on an adult level. Many people who have had to make the difficult choice probably don't think it's a funny topic.

You just can't help youself any more than the people who get on the internet yapping about how abortion should be completely illegal. 2 sides of the same coin.

You're not a serious person.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:50 pm You are getting toward one of the only things I find to be “good” about the Alabama decision: at least it is logically consistent.

Now, I think it is wrong, and also wrong.

But parsing out when life is life is never going to find a consensus, let alone a scientific answer (at least at the rate we’re going to self-edit ourselves right out of the picture), so you might as well push yer chips to the center here.

(I will revisit this “praise” of Alabama’s logical consistency when it executes its next prisoner, which may well be tonight for all I know.)
Ah yes, the "pro-lifers".

https://apnews.com/article/nitrogen-exe ... baa3df0738

"A man put to death using nitrogen gas shook and convulsed for minutes on the gurney as Alabama carried out the first-of-its-kind execution that has ignited debate over the humaneness of the method.

Breathing through a nitrogen-filled face mask that deprived him of oxygen, 58-year-old convicted killer Kenneth Eugene Smith convulsed in seizurelike spasms for at least two minutes of the 22-minute execution by nitrogen hypoxia Thursday. The force of his movements at times caused the gurney to visibly shake. That was followed by several minutes of gasping breathing until his breath was no longer perceptible.

Smith’s supporters expressed alarm at how the execution played out, saying it was the antithesis of the state’s promise of a quick and painless death."
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm pro choice.

I also have no (huge) problem with that dude dying like that if he was guilty of those crimes. Of all the sensless death we see in our country and around the world, a murderer not having a happy execution just doesn't move me that much enough to care about anything other than hoping he was actually guilty because there are innocent people on jail too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:56 am I'm pro choice.

I also have no (huge) problem with that dude dying like that if he was guilty of those crimes. Of all the sensless death we see in our country and around the world, a murderer not having a happy execution just doesn't move me that much enough to care about anything other than hoping he was actually guilty because there are innocent people on jail too.
"...other than hoping he was actually guilty" is one of the reasons I do not support the death penalty at all. If killing people is wrong then we shouldn't kill people.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 am
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:56 am I'm pro choice.

"...other than hoping he was actually guilty" is one of the reasons I do not support the death penalty at all. If killing people is wrong then we shouldn't kill people.
I am fine with killing people who kill or rape others. Personal opinion.

Dr. Philip Nitschke, a euthanasia expert who designed a suicide pod using nitrogen gas and appeared as an expert witness for Smith, said the description of Smith’s thrashing matches what he would expect to happen when nitrogen gas is used in a mask and someone holds their breath or takes the smallest possible breaths.

“I think this outcome is inevitable if the nitrogen gas is to be used in execution where people do not want to die and will not cooperate,” Nitschke said.

Sounds like the guy didn't cooperate or do what he was instructed to do...which, shocker, a guy on death row doesn't follow rules.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“here, just breath in this deadly gas…”

kinda goes against human nature and instinctual self preservation
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:26 am “here, just breath in this deadly gas…”

kinda goes against human nature and instinctual self preservation
Yes. Wtf did they expect was going to happen?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In my opinion, the fact that we have executed people who were later proven to be innocent means we should not be in the business of executing anyone at all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:53 am In my opinion, the fact that we have executed people who were later proven to be innocent means we should not be in the business of executing anyone at all.
I get this, and partially agree with it. There are some people, however, that absolutely do not deserve to breath the air we breath and eat the food that others can eat.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:01 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:53 am In my opinion, the fact that we have executed people who were later proven to be innocent means we should not be in the business of executing anyone at all.
I get this, and partially agree with it. There are some people, however, that absolutely do not deserve to breath the air we breath and eat the food that others can eat.
Agree 100%. But I tend to take a "better for ten guilty men to go free than one innocent man be punished at the hands of the state" view, and so I really don't have any tolerance for the state executing any innocent people.