Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 am ...unless its rape and that's a whole different ballgame.
Try explaining that to republican legislators.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Again, give me a break. I thought it was an interesting point of view, because she points out some of the ways in which the discussion always focuses on controlling women by focusing on men for a change. I'd imagine that as the mother of 6, she's had some discussions with young women about current sexual and birth control practices and attitudes.

Some that I've heard do not reflect that much has changed since I was a young woman.

However, the writer did get your attention on the subject, didn't she? I suspect that was her intent all along.
Last edited by seahawk on Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

seahawk wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am Interesting discussion on unwanted pregnancies by a Mormon mother of 6:

As a mother of six and a Mormon, I have a good understanding of arguments surrounding abortion, religious and otherwise. When I hear men discussing women’s reproductive rights, I’m often left with the thought that they have zero interest in stopping abortion.

If you want to prevent abortion, you need to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Men seem unable (or unwilling) to admit that they cause 100% of them.

https://humanparts.medium.com/men-cause ... 0e8288a7e5
The laws these states are passing are focused only on the female reproductive system so, technically, the Mormon mother's thoughts are right on. No men=no possibility of pregnancy. Obviously, the laws are not designed to stop abortion but instead to establish a law of moral codes through threats and cruel and unusual punishment. Here's where the tango enters the discussion but, again, no penalties for the father of the aborted fetus.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Seems one of the congresswomen is following the Mormon mother's path.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/113889 ... 0212183022
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Study: U.S. Ban On Aid To Foreign Clinics That 'Promote' Abortion Upped Abortion Rate

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ortion-rat
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

OMG! No doubt when the evangelical "christians" who support Trump see this, they'll abandon him in droves!

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/sta ... 3879544843
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

That sort of takes your breath away.
Don't inject Lysol.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

But he writes love letters.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DOJ brings back capital punishment
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm torn on this one. I'm generally against state sponsored death. Although in a lot of these cases it's hard to advocate for these arseholes.

I still don't like the death penalty.
Defense. Rebounds.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Trouble with capital punishment is that we really haven't resolved how it's handled during the prosecution phase very well and until we do, it should be off the table.

That said, sometimes when you read about the case, you wish that the person could be subject to vigilante justice.
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

bump
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can’t remember which thread is the immigration thread, but figure it fits here just as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1q8rzPHf4v ... d10uahv6oo
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/83127353 ... oronavirus

Governors across the country are banning elective surgery as a means of halting the spread of the coronavirus. But in a handful of states that ban is being extended to include a ban on all abortions...

Not so in Texas where Gov. Greg Abbott signed an executive order barring all "non-essential" medical procedures in the state, including abortion. The executive order was temporarily blocked in the district court, but the Fifth Circuit subsequently upheld the governor's order by a 2-to-1 vote, declaring that "all public constitutional rights may be reasonably restricted to combat a public health emergency."

...Yet the American Medical Association just last week filed a brief in this case in support of abortion providers, as did 18 states, led by New York, which is the state that has been the hardest hit by the coronavirus.

They maintain that banning abortion is far more dangerous,because it will force women to travel long distances to get one. A study from the Guttmacher Institute found that people seeking abortions during the COVID-19 outbreak would have to travel up to 20 times farther than normal if states successfully ban abortion care during the pandemic. The AMA also notes that pregnant women do not stop needing medical care if they don't get an abortion...

there's also a bit about a clinic in Denver being filled with Texas license plates, but that's really nothing new in CO either way.
Deleted User 89

expect anything different from tejas?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, that part I bolded was surprising in a number of ways.

That logic seems like a slippery slope, and who knows where they might try and stop it. (Quick! Somebody call gun violence a public health emergency!)

But perhaps more significantly, that bold part is the first time I’ve ever heard a pro-lifer acknowledge choice is a public constitutional right either way.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Yes or No. Is abortion a legitimate form of birth control?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Abortion is none of my business.
Deleted User 89

Leawood wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:14 am Yes or No. Is abortion a legitimate form of birth control?
no, imo