Game Of Thrones

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by pdub »

I didn't watch the show after season 5 because I wanted to wait for Martin to finish the books.
There was rumors he was halfway done with book 6 - I could just hold on a year or so.
Three years passed with no end in sight - just gave up and started watching.

Meh all over this ending so far.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Going into these last 6 episodes it was my belief that the GoT is the best television show ever. Nothing has happened so far to change my mind.

The 7 episodes leading up to these last 6 were so good. Hard act to follow.

The build up from a nearly 2 year layoff, might have made the expectations too much to live up to.

The first 7 seasons were so good. The wait was so long for these last 6 episodes. Maybe it was impossible to live up to the expectations.

They will put a bow on it in these last 2. I have no doubt.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agree to disagree.
This current season is like KU 2018-19.
Expectations were certainly ( maybe unjustifiably ) high but didn't expect this kind of letdown.

I'd like to believe that in the last two episodes they could make a run at the Final Four but at this point it looks like we'll just get blown out by Auburn.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would also like to point out that if the shows writers go something like, "We couldn't tell the immersive story of Westeros in these six episodes. We wanted to focus on the characters people cared about. That said, there will be a lot of questions answered in the future spinoff", they can go meh themselves.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Cersie couldn't kill Tyrion herself because it would make her look bad publicly, which is why she hired Bronn to do it.

But, I have no idea why Daenerys didn't attack the ships from behind.

Also, it was weird that after Daenerys lost a dragon and her fleet and most of her tattered army, that people (Jamie and Sansa) assumed Cersei was going to loose.

The script basically admitted that it's anti-climactic and a let down when I forget who it was said, "We won the Great War now let's go fight the Last War".
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:09 am Going into these last 6 episodes it was my belief that the GoT is the best television show ever. Nothing has happened so far to change my mind.

The 7 episodes leading up to these last 6 were so good. Hard act to follow.

The build up from a nearly 2 year layoff, might have made the expectations too much to live up to.

The first 7 seasons were so good. The wait was so long for these last 6 episodes. Maybe it was impossible to live up to the expectations.

They will put a bow on it in these last 2. I have no doubt.
This take is just...wrong. Things started to get dumb and deus-ex-machina-as-hell in Season 7 (seriously: were the wights, like, running a foundry?; did a bunch of characters just discover fast-travel portals?).

Season 8 has been a fan-service-driven and high-fantasy-fatigued mess. The pacing has been a disaster, key characters are making the dumbest decisions, the resolution of the Night King threat was completely flat, and there just isn't much gravitas anymore.

I love the show as a whole, and will see it through, but you've got to have blinders on to not see that its lost its fastball and offers little more than nostalgic value at this point.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For all the people of King's Landing know, Tyrion murdered King Joffrey AND Tywin.
He is a villain to them.
Cersei would have no issue killing a prisoner who escaped who she actually hired all of the realm to capture dead or alive.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still have a little hope of what MICH is saying, that they 'will put a bow on it in these last 2.'
But just like I was worried Auburn was going to torch us more than us knocking off UNC in KC, it's more probable Arya sneaks in with someone else's face on ( Jamie? ) and kills Cersei to complete her list and the dumb fans all go 'hoorraay!'
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also just making up some odds on character death:

1/25 The Mountain
1/9 Last Dragon
1/8 Cersei
1/5 Hound
1/3 Grey Worm
1/2 Dany
1/2 Jamie
2/1 Jon
3/1 Tyrion
4/1 Bran
5/1 Arya
8/1 Sansa
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

pdub wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 am I didn't watch the show after season 5 because I wanted to wait for Martin to finish the books.
There was rumors he was halfway done with book 6 - I could just hold on a year or so.
Three years passed with no end in sight - just gave up and started watching.

Meh all over this ending so far.
Almost the same process for me.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

pdub wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:44 am I still have a little hope of what MICH is saying, that they 'will put a bow on it in these last 2.'
But just like I was worried Auburn was going to torch us more than us knocking off UNC in KC, it's more probable Arya sneaks in with someone else's face on ( Jamie? ) and kills Cersei to complete her list and the dumb fans all go 'hoorraay!'
A lot of hokey fan service this season, completely understandable, completely disappointing.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:44 am I still have a little hope of what MICH is saying, that they 'will put a bow on it in these last 2.'
Most likely, then the hound will have to fight the mountain to protect arya.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 am
Hard to see it going any other way.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The possibilities are almost endless.

The show is ending. So they have to end it. No matter what they do, peoples will find fault.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am
Cersei has been at the top of arya's list since the first season. If that is the way it goes, I am ok with that.

Except that is so predictable and obvious and what we want, it surely will not happen that way.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

It's ok to criticize things one likes, or even loves.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Grey Worm is going to take out the mountain. Remember the little "Spanish" quick dude that had him, and then started running his mouth. GW doesn't run his mouth.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:05 am Grey Worm is going to take out the mountain. Remember the little "Spanish" quick dude that had him, and then started running his mouth. GW doesn't run his mouth.
The fancy boy got cocky. It cost him dearly. Grey Worm don't play.

But I still think the mountain vs the Hound is inevitable.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Cleganebowl!!!!!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:03 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

Cersei has been at the top of arya's list since the first season. If that is the way it goes, I am ok with that.

Except that is so predictable and obvious and what we want, it surely will not happen that way.
But I think what you just said is what's making fan reaction to these last two seasons so mixed. What we loved about the show (I guess I can't speak for everyone: what I loved about the show) was its willingness to kick the viewer in the nuts and not deliver the "expected".

What's annoying about how all this is going is that, after all these years, things are now just sort of going right for the "good" guys.

The Night King was a Tuesday-after-school Power Rangers-level baddie, after all. In a half-dozen instances of a main character being overrun by wights in Episode 3, things just sort of worked out. The major deaths that there were were heroic and not at all cruel or at great cost.

The dialog and machinations will be fun, I guess, but I don't see the show as really being willing, any more, to pull the rug out from under us. I could be wrong, but even that at this point would now feel cheap. The richness of the shock and disappointment is what I was here for, and it's gone.