Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

wth is up with Bran? They devoted a lot of screen time to him just sitting there.

And I know it was a battle at night, but I spent the majority of time trying to figure out who was getting killed and is that the zombie dragon.

Pretty cool that there is a zombie dragon though.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:38 am wth is up with Bran? They devoted a lot of screen time to him just sitting there.

And I know it was a battle at night, but I spent the majority of time trying to figure out who was getting killed and is that the zombie dragon.

Pretty cool that there is a zombie dragon though.
*SPOILERS - THOUGH THAT SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY HERE*

Obviously it's possible for there to be some sort of reversal (perhaps the show ends with a dead Cersei opening an ice-blue eye), but I think the resolution of the entire Night King/winter-is-coming arc was dissatisfying and dumb. We spend the entire show working on a fundamental problem of ultimately-petty human squabbles obscuring the real existential threat that's out there...only to have the existential threat perfunctorily (and - stupidly) dismissed?

It reminds a lot of Lost, when the show just sort of got tired of the thornier plot elements, and punted on them in a rushed final season.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lots of things I didn't like about it. A lot for visual reasons, they tried to hard to make it look 'real' (dark, wintery weather, smoke all obscured visuals, which I understand, but tv is largely a visual medium) I liked for example, that you couldn't see what happened to the Dothraki soldiers...but there was too much of the episode that was unseen or obscured.

They also tried really hard to build tension by intermixing seeing popular characters in peril with slow motion shots of the Night King walking. I understand what they're trying to do, but they went to the well too much on that too.

Additionally, there were too many scenes where a character was being overwhelmed by the army of the dead (Jamie, Sam, Brienne, etc) where you thought, 'that's it, he/she is gonna die' only to have them cut away, and than later cut back to that same individual, now freed from that mob, again fighting, only to again be overwhelmed and then the cycle begins again. And in a very non-GOT way very few of the primary characters died.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I kept trying to figure out if Jaime got axed. Guess next week will be the "bring outcher dead" episode.

I can never keep all the names straight, I did like the girl who killed the zombie giant.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:12 pm Lots of things I didn't like about it. A lot for visual reasons, they tried to hard to make it look 'real' (dark, wintery weather, smoke all obscured visuals, which I understand, but tv is largely a visual medium) I liked for example, that you couldn't see what happened to the Dothraki soldiers...but there was too much of the episode that was unseen or obscured.

They also tried really hard to build tension by intermixing seeing popular characters in peril with slow motion shots of the Night King walking. I understand what they're trying to do, but they went to the well too much on that too.

Additionally, there were too many scenes where a character was being overwhelmed by the army of the dead (Jamie, Sam, Brienne, etc) where you thought, 'that's it, he/she is gonna die' only to have them cut away, and than later cut back to that same individual, now freed from that mob, again fighting, only to again be overwhelmed and then the cycle begins again. And in a very non-GOT way very few of the primary characters died.
I agree - it would have felt a lot truer to the themes if the humans actually did mostly get wiped out, losing Winterfell to the dead, and they had to strike back an episode later (using deception and guile, and perhaps Bran and magic).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:23 pm I kept trying to figure out if Jaime got axed. Guess next week will be the "bring outcher dead" episode.

I can never keep all the names straight, I did like the girl who killed the zombie giant.
Lots of cool scenes, and that was definitely one of them.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I thought for sure she was going to pop.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm I agree - it would have felt a lot truer to the themes if the humans actually did mostly get wiped out, losing Winterfell to the dead, and they had to strike back an episode later (using deception and guile, and perhaps Bran and magic).
I think the humans at winterfell did mostly get wiped out. Just not the central characters. And considering there are 3 more episodes to go, I am okay with that.

Someone had to win. Someone had to lose. Considering there are 3 more episodes to go, I am glad it was the living.

We are only half way.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I just didn't anticipate that the "worse" bad guy was going to be so cleanly dispatched in a single episode. Feels like years and years of buildup for a flat conclusion.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm I just didn't anticipate that the "worse" bad guy was going to be so cleanly dispatched in a single episode. Feels like years and years of buildup for a flat conclusion.
Did not surprise me one bit that the battle at winterfell started and concluded in last nights episode. I figured it would.

Still lots to do.

I think the worst bad guy is Cersei. She's got it coming.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm I just didn't anticipate that the "worse" bad guy was going to be so cleanly dispatched in a single episode. Feels like years and years of buildup for a flat conclusion.
yeah, I thought maybe they'd kill off a portion of the white walkers, and kill off a large amount of the army of the dead, but not kill the Night King in this episode.

I like that there are 4 more episodes to wrap up and see who ultimately wears the crown, but I agree that it was a lot of buildup for an underwhelming demise.

Alternatively they could have had the Night King do more fighting than just killing a eunuch.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:57 pm Alternatively they could have had the Night King do more fighting than just killing a eunuch.
As best as I can recall, we have never seen the night king fight.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:57 pm
yeah, I thought maybe they'd kill off a portion of the white walkers, and kill off a large amount of the army of the dead, but not kill the Night King in this episode.

I like that there are 4 more episodes to wrap up and see who ultimately wears the crown, but I agree that it was a lot of buildup for an underwhelming demise.

Alternatively they could have had the Night King do more fighting than just killing a eunuch.
Perhaps Arya steals the Night King's face for an assassination attempt on Cersei.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:01 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:57 pm Alternatively they could have had the Night King do more fighting than just killing a eunuch.
That was my point. He hadn't, and all he did last night, not counting fighting on the dragon, was kill Theon.

Fish made the point that this guy was the major looming threat for several seasons. At least they could have made him a little more of a badass before he got killed, it would have been more satisfying, it would have made the several years of anticipation seem warranted.

I don't mind the twist that it was Arya, rather than Jon Snow, who did it...although they did telegraph it a little with the interactions with the red lady...but, that she did it so quickly and after the Night king really did nothing new or cool, other than re-animate the dead which we knew he could do.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:01 pm
That was my point. He hadn't, and all he did last night, not counting fighting on the dragon, was kill Theon.

Fish made the point that this guy was the major looming threat for several seasons. At least they could have made him a little more of a badass before he got killed, it would have been more satisfying, it would have made the several years of anticipation seem warranted.

I don't mind the twist that it was Arya, rather than Jon Snow, who did it...although they did telegraph it a little with the interactions with the red lady...but, that she did it so quickly and after the Night king really did nothing new or cool, other than re-animate the dead which we knew he could do.
There is the not-very-fun possibility that the show lost its fastball for good when it surpassed the source material.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:09 pm There is the not-very-fun possibility that the show lost its fastball for good when it surpassed the source material.
Not for me it hasn't.

I think the last season and a half have been fantastic.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I have to believe that there is more to the brann stark/3 eyed raven storyline that what we were given last night.

There has to be.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

He's actually cersie.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:19 pm He's actually cersie.
Anything and everything is in play.