2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm Definitely an odd scenario. While is is a 1st, it’s a very late 1st. If Clark turns into a legit edge rusher the trade will be worth it.
From what I'm reading, he's already that. And I generally agree that the success rate for getting that out of a late 1st round pick is not high.

I guess where I land is that if you told me, in a vacuum, that the Chiefs would get that kind of player for a late 1st and next year's 2nd, I'm probably good with it. The (shitty) return on Ford just sort of undercuts the reaction, though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:42 pm
Cascadia wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm Definitely an odd scenario. While is is a 1st, it’s a very late 1st. If Clark turns into a legit edge rusher the trade will be worth it.
From what I'm reading, he's already that. And I generally agree that the success rate for getting that out of a late 1st round pick is not high.

I guess where I land is that if you told me, in a vacuum, that the Chiefs would get that kind of player for a late 1st and next year's 2nd, I'm probably good with it. The (shitty) return on Ford just sort of undercuts the reaction, though.
Could it be that the Chiefs maybe sold high on Ford? He had one good year, and tied Clark for sacks. Ford was really bad for 2 1/2 years (injury cut short 2017 season) of his time in KC. Pretty good for the other 2 years.

Clark's worst year in terms of sacks was 3, and that was his rookie year. Double digits or 9 the next 3 years. Double digit tackles for loss the last 3 years as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Could it be that the Chiefs maybe sold high on Ford? He had one good year, and tied Clark for sacks. Ford was really bad for 2 1/2 years (injury cut short 2017 season) of his time in KC. Pretty good for the other 2 years.

Clark's worst year in terms of sacks was 3, and that was his rookie year. Double digits or 9 the next 3 years. Double digit tackles for loss the last 3 years as well.
Plus, durability is a big factor. Clark has played in all games but 2. Ford has been fully healthy maybe 1 season? This past year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I agree that the return on Ford was underwhelming. But I’m also in the camp that Ford is probably overrated and certainly not worth the contract that he currently has.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

“Clark’s career consistency, age, and player profile are all superior to Ford’s. No matter what side of the value argument you’re on, one thing is a fact: he is a better fit for Steve Spagnuolo’s defense and is now a part of Chiefs’ long-term plans.”

Sums it up quite nicely.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s a fact.
Just lost a lot of cap space and draft capital doing it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And then they will have to sign Chris Jones which will put a LOT of money into the defensive line.
Maybe Mahomes told management he just wants to win and he'll sign a favorable ( Bradylike ) contract in the future.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:21 am That’s a fact.
Just lost a lot of cap space and draft capital doing it.
That cap space was going to get eaten up either way. Clark, Ford, or a mix of unproven rookies. In that scenario I'll take Clark for essentially the next three years. This is what you do when you have a QB on a rookie deal. You go all in to win during his rookie contract and deal with the cap casualties. You paid Clark and know that you have Jones, Mahomes, 'Reek and Kelce coming up. Out of all of those guys Jones will get paid, so will Mahomes and I can see Kelce as well. The odd man out is 'Reek. He plays out his rookie year deal, they franchise tag him for one year and then cut him after that year.

I see Chris Harris Jr. wants $15 mil a year or he wants to be traded. I hope Broncos fans didn't invest in a CHJr jersey because he may not be around for long.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am Maybe Mahomes told management he just wants to win and he'll sign a favorable ( Bradylike ) contract in the future.
i respect these kinds of moves so much

but i still hate brady
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 am
pdub wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am Maybe Mahomes told management he just wants to win and he'll sign a favorable ( Bradylike ) contract in the future.

but i still hate brady
It is really easy to pass up on $60ish or so million over his career when you are married to oh, say Gisele. It will be interesting to see when Mahomes contract comes up if he will negotiate the ability to restructure his deal year by year and be tied to league wide revenue shares.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

but i still hate brady
It is really easy to pass up on $60ish or so million over his career when you are married to oh, say Gisele.
A Chiefs topic I can actually tangent off of: Mahomes's girlfriend is, uh, interesting.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:33 am
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

but i still hate brady
It is really easy to pass up on $60ish or so million over his career when you are married to oh, say Gisele.
A Chiefs topic I can actually tangent off of: Mahomes's girlfriend is, uh, interesting.
'Interesting' - tell me more about that...
Holidaysmore - 2005
shindig

Post by shindig »

So if Tyreek gets booted or suspended by the NFL, if found he had involvement in his son's broken arm (or the Chiefs feel he'll face suspension), do the Chiefs draft receiver or are we deep there? Watkins and Robinson are the only two I can remember...Conley was let go I think. Wasn't there another guy named Benjamin or something?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:53 am So if Tyreek gets booted or suspended by the NFL, if found he had involvement in his son's broken arm (or the Chiefs feel he'll face suspension), do the Chiefs draft receiver or are we deep there? Watkins and Robinson are the only two I can remember...Conley was let go I think. Wasn't there another guy named Benjamin or something?
The Chiefs will get at least 1 WR in this draft. Watkins, Robinson and Dieter won't cut it if somehow Hill is not able to play.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Looking for at least one more burner at W/R. . . .
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Presser at 3 regarding the case. Not usually a presser to declare everything is ok.

He in trouble. He might be gone.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 pm Presser at 3 regarding the case. Not usually a presser to declare everything is ok.

Easy to forget these are actual people trying to do actual work, facing actual budgets and actual personnel scarcity. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they need to hold a presser just to say whatever it is that needs to be said now, and answer questions now, so that other work can proceed. It's a burden having to answer 100 calls a day on this, I'm sure.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 pm Presser at 3 regarding the case. Not usually a presser to declare everything is ok.

Easy to forget these are actual people trying to do actual work, facing actual budgets and actual personnel scarcity. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they need to hold a presser just to say whatever it is that needs to be said now, and answer questions now, so that other work can proceed. It's a burden having to answer 100 calls a day on this, I'm sure.
Good and valid point. But wouldn't a statement work just as well?

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

If it is a press conference, questions will be answered, which, to me, signals that something significant will be announced.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:59 pm If it is a press conference, questions will be answered, which, to me, signals that something significant will be announced.
This is an area I (thankfully) know next to nothing about. It would seem unusual to announce something like charges or a warrant if he hadn't turned himself in.

I think the most likely outcome of today is that they announce there's not enough to charge anyone on for any specific thing, and then it's in the hands of the NFL and the Chiefs.

Sports imitating politics, I guess.