Shrooms

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Shrooms

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:45 pm If I become President someday will you be my personal physician? You seem like someone I could rely upon for good responsible adult advice.
You might not know anything about science, physics, or enginurding, but you're one helluva judge of medical expertise!

#idbehonored
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I should warn you that there will be a thorough vetting process before anything is made official. But if you have ever been accused of domestic battery, put that on your resume as I will consider that a yuge plus.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Time for you to start a YouTube channel, Shirls.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Get a room.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 pm Time for you to start a YouTube channel, Shirls.
You must be confused, Shirley has been banned from this site since it was started.

Guess she wasn't willing to fuck her way in?
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:28 pm
defixione wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 pm Time for you to start a YouTube channel, Shirls.
You must be confused, Shirley has been banned from this site since it was started.

Missed that I guess. What did "shirley" do to get banned?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm
Feral wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Missed that I guess. What did "shirley" do to get banned?
Good question.

Some people say several emails were sent to the powers that be back then, but were never answered.

#shrug
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Single dose of LSD provides immediate and lasting relief from anxiety, study says

A clinical trial’s encouraging results won US Food and Drug Administration breakthrough therapy status for an LSD formulation to treat generalized anxiety disorder, Mind Medicine Inc. announced Thursday. The biopharmaceutical company is developing the drug.

“A breakthrough designation is a recognition that a drug has demonstrated evidence of clinical efficacy in meeting an unmet medical need with morbidity and mortality associated with it,” said Dr. Daniel Karlin, assistant professor of psychiatry at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and chief medical officer for MindMed.

MindMed’s MM120 will still go through the standard FDA approval process, including phase III trials.

...A single dose of MM120 (lysergide d-tartrate) led to a 48% rate of remission from generalized anxiety disorder at 12 weeks following the drug’s administration, according to MindMed.

The MM120 drug also significantly improved clinical signs of generalized anxiety disorder for 65% of patients within three months, according to results of the phase 2b trial designed to test dosage levels, the company said.

Anxiety is the most common mental disorder in the United States, affecting over 40 million people age 18 and older each year, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Generalized anxiety order is characterized by excessive, ongoing thoughts that are difficult to control and interfere with day-to-day activities.

“The clinical improvement for many patients was more than double what we see with today’s standard of care,” Karlin said. “This occurred at all levels of anxiety, from moderate all the way up to severe.”

...Compared with experiences with forms of LSD purchased illegally on the street, the study’s grade of MM120 did not appear to induce “bad trips,”
Karlin said.

“LSD is difficult to manufacture with high purity and tends to degrade quickly in the presence of light and water,” Karlin said. “We’re manufacturing it to pharmaceutical industry standards, a highly pure version that is also shelf stable. So that’s a critical difference.”

A long history of LSD research

When the MM120 clinical trial began in August 2022, it marked the first time LSD had been studied in a medical setting in over 40 years, Karlin said.

During the 1940s and early 1950s, tens of thousands of patients took LSD and other psychotropics to study their effects on cancer anxiety, alcoholism, opioid use disorder, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD. Researchers began to see psychedelics as possible “new tools for shortening psychotherapy.”

But when Harvard University psychologists Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert were fired from the Harvard Psilocybin Project in 1963 after the university discovered they had been giving LSD to their students, the use of psychedelics for research began to lose its luster.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have been free of anxiety for decades.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
thebones

Post by thebones »

Thanks for this post. I find it positive that clinical research of psychedelics is progressing and the FDA is promoting.

Same concept with the current ketamine therapy trend.

Back in late 90's we'd go to the dance club, roll for hours on mdma, careen home around 4 am and line up the K.

To me, there is no better ego death possible. If you've experienced the K-hole, you understand the gravity.

Ultimately, all those chemicals wrecked my serotonin receptors. I'm paying the price now.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The world would be a better place if we all microdosed daily
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good thread bump!

I still think harnessing the potential of psychedelics is the best chance humanity has left for ourselves. Always was.

I’m torn between whether it would be better to microdose daily or to completely melt yer face with a good hard trip like a few times a year.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Blah blah blah blah blah.
My guess is 90% of those who have taken "psychedelics" will advocate for the benefits of more people to take "psychedelics".
My guess is 90% of those who have not taken "psychedelics" will be critical of the "use" of "psychedelics".

As someone who has taken/eaten shrooms. I fall in the 10% of my first claim.
I have NO doubt SOME people actually benefit from taking/eating "psychedelics" but I have A LOT of doubt as many people who THINK they benefit from taking/eating "psychedelics" actually do benefit from taking/eating "psychedelics".

Trust/believe me when I say, I have SEEN some people who are really fucked up in a NEGATIVE way because they took "psychedelics".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, for sure, gutter.

I think a big thing to consider is psychedelics culturally and legally. We’ve pretty exclusively known them as some illicit counterculture thing. So of course they’re gonna be used/abused in some stoopid ways. And yeah everyone can react differently either way. (And many people are already goofy enough without them.)

I think the potential lies in some more prescribed or structured or mindful way. Let’s try using them therapeutically, maybe under the supervision of, shall we say, mental health professionals (what previous generations might call shamans or medicine men or something, but more legit yet).

The first time I tried acid my biggest takeaway was, holy shit this is the ultimate ADD medicine. Way better than adderrall! And I ended up doing arts and crafts for hours, without running around distracted about everything like I usually am, even on otherwise-legit ADD drugs.

I mean, considering the risk for abuse that legal drugs like adderrall or oxy or even booze can bring, shit like shrooms or lsd almost seems tame. Except they’re still powerful shit that can and will fuck with you. It’s a matter of trying to harness the potential of that fuckery in a positive way - both for the improvement of individual mental health, and greater societal health at large.

Meh, fuck it, I prob sound like even more of a hippie idiot than normal. Now who wants to quit our jobs and go on Phish tour?!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s a docuseries on one of the streaming services about psychedelics, with an episode about each of the more familiar ones.

The one about MDMA talks about how it was invented in the 40s, and showed massive potential as a therapy drug - effectively treating depression, ptsd, couples therapy, etc, and not only treating but even “curing,” creating lasting/permanent improvements with as little as one prescribed dose.

The series then says the pharmaceutical industry was outraged, cuz how is shareholder wealth supposed to be created with just one dose?! The real money is not in the one-time cure, it’s in the ongoing treatment! They want drugs that can be prescribed on a forever basis, so they can keep selling more drugs! The end game of for-profit medicine is not curing ailments, it’s creating lifetime customers. So big pharma lobbied to have MDMA outlawed instead…Allsome.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also didn’t 1985 have some theory like this, that there’s cures for cancer but the money’s in the treatment instead?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that conspiracy has been around a long time
Just Ledoux it
thebones

Post by thebones »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:21 am Also didn’t 1985 have some theory like this, that there’s cures for cancer but the money’s in the treatment instead?
Perhaps. For what's worth, 85 passed away from lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker like many of us were in college and after. His was in remission for awhile.

But now the corporate evil bastards are marketing pouches such as ON and Zyn. Even more addictive and cause oral degradation and cancer.

The next healthcare grift trend will be private equity-owned jaw reconstruction surgery centers for nicotine pouch addicts.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thebones wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:30 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:21 am Also didn’t 1985 have some theory like this, that there’s cures for cancer but the money’s in the treatment instead?
Perhaps. For what's worth, 85 passed away from lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker like many of us were in college and after. His was in remission for awhile.

But now the corporate evil bastards are marketing pouches such as ON and Zyn. Even more addictive and cause oral degradation and cancer.

The next healthcare grift trend will be private equity-owned jaw reconstruction surgery centers for nicotine pouch addicts.
according to the latest dental studies the nicotine pouches, while definetelt addictive, are not thought to cause oral cancer.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am that conspiracy has been around a long time
Yes, the same as the apocryphal 100 mpg carburetor.

I’m reminded of a comment my retina-surgeon made about 10 years ago. He’s around my age and a really fun guy to talk to. We always shoot the breeze after my appointment, which is, for that reason the last one of the day.

This was when California had passed medical marijuana and one could get it with a prescription. I have a propensity for high intraocular pressure thus putting me at risk of glaucoma, something smoking pot likely relieved. Various drugs and psychedelics came up in conversation. His point really resonated with me, especially as someone who works in the pharmaceutical industry. He said he’ll give me a prescription for marijuana if I wanted to smoke it, but don’t ask him to do it for therapeutic reasons. He said that are much more reliable, long lasting and effective medicines for lowering eye pressure. I’ve been on drops for more than a decade with lasting success.

Pharmaceuticals have been optimized to deliver effective doses at safe levels, a condition for approval.