Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:09 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:28 pm Abusive = I don’t like that

SMH
What the fuck is wrong with you? You should be able to block me here for any reason, abusive or not. Space bruh wants to deny that right, in violation of terms of use, to everyone. He is advocating that users cannot block stalkers or other seriously abusive users from harassing other users.
By “free speech absolutist” Elon must mean “absolutely free to force others to hear the speech I want them to hear.”
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:05 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:58 am
JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:03 am

Sigh.

This reminds me of a girl who had a meltdown in class after the 2016 election. She demanded that a boy be made to take off his MAGA hat in class because it was “offensive.” When I reminded her that she had regularly worn her Hillary T-shirt for months before the election and pointed out that she was, even then, wearing her pussy hat - both of which some others also found offensive - and suggested that the risk of being offended was the price of living in society, she insisted that HER offense was the only valid one and that we should all cater to her feelings.

Social media is not a right, nor is it necessary for survival. If you don’t like it, you have the option of staying off of it or finding a platform where people don’t ruffle your feathers. We used to understand that as a culture.
Did randy make up that story for you? :o :shock: :?

I do agree with your second "paragraph" - other than feeling it's debatable about social media being (or not being) a "right".
It’s one of many stories from years in the classroom. I may compile them into a memoir and call it “Life Among the Snowflakes.”

How would you argue that social media is a right?
Wow...your projection is complete.

Fucking bitch ass bully
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:12 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:06 pm Or block them. Or be a snowflake and whine about someone blocking someone else.
I’m not whining. I don’t have a dog in the fight. No social media accounts other than FB, on which I rarely post. Couldn’t care less what happens on X or Instagram or any of the others. I’m just commenting on the fact that Musk has the right to run his platform the way he wants.
Not according to the terms of service with android and Apple. And you're doing an awful lot of whining for someone who says they're not whining. Snowflake.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Damn....Psych got on 99's last fucking nerve
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:14 pm
JKLivin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:28 pm Abusive = I don’t like that

SMH
What the fuck is wrong with you? You should be able to block me here for any reason, abusive or not. Space bruh wants to deny that right, in violation of terms of use, to everyone. He is advocating that users cannot block stalkers or other seriously abusive users from harassing other users.
By “free speech absolutist” Elon must mean “absolutely free to force others to hear the speech I want them to hear.”
By definition, free speech is free. It’s not a difficult concept.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:16 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:58 am

Did randy make up that story for you? :o :shock: :?

I do agree with your second "paragraph" - other than feeling it's debatable about social media being (or not being) a "right".
It’s one of many stories from years in the classroom. I may compile them into a memoir and call it “Life Among the Snowflakes.”

Fucking bitch ass bully
Says the guy who famously told a fellow poster “if you could look into my eyes, you’d see I am not the kind of person to be trifled with.”

LOL.

We’re all terrified.

Clown.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:00 pm

It appears to be an incredibly difficult concept for people you align with.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:05 pm

Not liking what you see on social media is the price of living in a free society. Feelings get hurt, but that’s not a terminal condition last I checked.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:17 pm

Not liking what you see on social media is the price of living in a free society. Feelings get hurt, but that’s not a terminal condition last I checked.
Don’t paint me with whatever brush you have out for someone else.

If Elon wants to blow the last 1/3 of his investment in Twitter by removing the block function, that’s his paid-for prerogative. You won’t see me saying he CAN’T do that.

But his thing is NOT free speech, it’s spoiled brat entitlement, rules-for-thee-but-not-for-me. You will see that, again, when he does something loony like say Apple and Google are trampling on free speech by threatening to deplatform him for breaking their App Store rules.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:02 pm

Fucking bitch ass bully
Says the guy who famously told a fellow poster “if you could look into my eyes, you’d see I am not the kind of person to be trifled with.”

LOL.

We’re all terrified.

Clown.
I stand by that statement.
I guess you prefer picking on kids.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:38 pm

Fucking bitch ass bully

LOL.

We’re all terrified.

Clown.
Like I said: Not scared. Amused, even. Clown.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:21 pm

LOL.

We’re all terrified.

Clown.
Pussy.

But then, deep down inside, you know that
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:25 pm

If Elon wants to blow the last 1/3 of his investment in Twitter by removing the block function, that’s his paid-for prerogative. You won’t see me saying he CAN’T do that.

But his thing is NOT free speech, it’s spoiled brat entitlement, rules-for-thee-but-not-for-me. You will see that, again, when he does something loony like say Apple and Google are trampling on free speech by threatening to deplatform him for breaking their App Store rules.
Meh. If you’re wealthy enough to buy a platform, you have the right to set the rules and deal with whatever consequences follow. The demise of Twitter/X has been predicted several times since he took over, and it has yet to happen, even with Zuck’s foray into the genre. It remains to be seen, but I agree with him in principle.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:39 pm

Meh. If you’re wealthy enough to buy a platform, you have the right to set the rules and deal with whatever consequences follow. The demise of Twitter/X has been predicted several times since he took over, and it has yet to happen, even with Zuck’s foray into the genre. It remains to be seen, but I agree with him in principle.
I’m not disagreeing that he can set the X rules. Of course he can do that.

But he doesn’t get to cloak himself in martyr cloth every time someone else DOESN’T let him impose his own rules on their stuff.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:52 pm
JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:39 pm

I’m not disagreeing that he can set the X rules. Of course he can do that.

But he doesn’t get to cloak himself in martyr cloth every time someone else DOESN’T let him impose his own rules on their stuff.
I think we are agreed on both counts. Musk does love to play the aggrieved card more than most, and it does not suit him well.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Pussy.

I'm going to share some information with you for the sake of context and, after that, I'm done engaging with you like this.

You don't scare me in the least.

Why?

I am nearly 6'4". I weigh a solid 240 pounds. I am in the gym working hard six days per week. I would guess I can bench press two of you pretty easily.

I have a black belt in taekwondo, a brown belt in karate, and was working on a blue belt in jiu jitsu before life got complicated enough that I had to direct my time elsewhere. I have years of full contact fighting experience in which I have been knocked out and choked out more than once and have done the same to others. There are very few people and very few situations that scare me, and you wouldn't rate a place on that list.

I am also a few weeks away from turning 54. I'm too old to go around looking for a fight and acting like a punk kid. I always try to make peace with people and find common ground. But I'm also not easily intimidated.

I put up with incredible amounts of cruelty from you and your buddy Leawood over a period of many years. It takes a real piece of shit to find the things I went through funny, much less to bring them up over and over and over again, even with the knowledge that those things were at one time so devastating to me that I tried to kill myself and spent two weeks in the hospital recovering from the experience.

It's. Not. Funny.

It never was.

You and Leawood made me feel really bad about myself once upon a time. I tried ignoring you, I tried appeasing you, and I even left the board for an extended period on a couple of occasions because of the two of you. Then, two years ago, I met my wife and, for the first time in a long time, I realized that I'm not a bad person - that I'm worthwhile and beyond being defined by what happened on a cold December night in 2010.

I'm happy, I'm healthy, and I'm not interested in letting you drag me down anymore. If you want to treat me respectfully, I will respond in kind; if not, I'll be fine. I contributed financially to the existence of this board just like you, and I have just as much right to be here and discuss things as anyone else.

To summarize:

I'm not afraid of you.
The name calling and veiled threats have no effect on me whatsoever.
I'm not interested in fighting with you (or anyone else) physically or verbally.
If you can't be respectful, leave me alone and I will extend you the same courtesy.
Grow up.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:55 pm
Overlander wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Pussy.

I would guess I can bench press two of you pretty easily.

I have a black belt in taekwondo, a brown belt in karate, and was working on a blue belt in jiu jitsu before life got complicated enough that I had to direct my time elsewhere.

But I'm also not easily intimidated.

I put up with incredible amounts of cruelty from you and your buddy Leawood over a period of many years.

You and Leawood made me feel really bad about myself once upon a time.

I'm happy, I'm healthy, and I'm not interested in letting you drag me down anymore.

The name calling and veiled threats have no effect on me whatsoever.

Grow up.
Holy fuck, you really should see someone.

Seeing as you are clearly the more perfect male specimen, oozing masculinity, I am surprised to hear that you took such severe steps to make it stop.

One question….did I ever threaten YOU?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hey I’m out here trying to chill at a campsite by the lake under the stars with bad service.

Can we chill just a tad plz?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:12 pm Hey I’m out here trying to chill at a campsite by the lake under the stars with bad service.

Can we chill just a tad plz?
Great place to be, enjoy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Got my Gutter shirt, a can of skoal, left over chocolate bars from s’mores, a campfire and I can’t bench press two of Overlanders.

Life is good.

PS: you can still block each other unlike other platforms are thinking of stopping