Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I am understanding the story and FB's stance correctly (not a given), it seems that FB may have just given NYU the blueprint to get what they wanted without violating FB's (current) T&C's.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am Never underestimate the ability of ousdahl to sling hot takes without any sort of thought to try and create "discussion" and then fall back on "man, you guys just love corporations, temporarily embarrassed millionaires, i was just joking anyways"
What’s the point of this post?

Are you trying to create discussion?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am
TDub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am Never underestimate the ability of ousdahl to sling hot takes without any sort of thought to try and create "discussion" and then fall back on "man, you guys just love corporations, temporarily embarrassed millionaires, i was just joking anyways"
What’s the point of this post?

Are you trying to create discussion?
At least as much as at least 75% of your reddit reposts.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:36 am If I am understanding the story and FB's stance correctly (not a given), it seems that FB may have just given NYU the blueprint to get what they wanted without violating FB's (current) T&C's.
Which is great. If I do anything, I like to know what meets the acceptable criteria and what needs to be improved. If they can figure out a way to continue their work while not violating those ToS then that's great. American ingenuity at work.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:29 am And man, never underestimate the willingness of average joes to step up and argue in favor of letting giant corporations do whatever they want.
If I create a company, I would like to think that I am able to create a Terms of Service and be allowed to enforce them. The size of a company is irrelevant to the discussion for me but I assume you'd feel opposite if it was a local shop that took the same action.
Size does matter, though. That’s a big part of the backlash here.

It’s a more complex issue with greater implications and consequences than simply, “no shirt no shoes no Facebook.”
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

another story circulating...FB allowed the fossil fuel industries push misinformation on climate change
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You spew some bullshit about ,man never be surprised at the willingness of people to support corporations....

And when I respond with similar blah blah bullshit I'm the asshole thats not creating discussion?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am another story circulating...FB allowed the fossil fuel industries push misinformation on climate change
Our politicians have been doing that for 40 years

All about money
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:41 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:29 am And man, never underestimate the willingness of average joes to step up and argue in favor of letting giant corporations do whatever they want.
If I create a company, I would like to think that I am able to create a Terms of Service and be allowed to enforce them. The size of a company is irrelevant to the discussion for me but I assume you'd feel opposite if it was a local shop that took the same action.
Size does matter, though. That’s a big part of the backlash here.

It’s a more complex issue with greater implications and consequences than simply, “no shirt no shoes no Facebook.”
Most of the backlash seems to be "Rich Man Bad" without actually reviewing the situation.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am another story circulating...FB allowed the fossil fuel industries push misinformation on climate change

All about money
quite the broad stroke you’re painting with there (unsurprisingly)

Al Gore and AOC, among many others, say hi
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:46 am

All about money

We should probably be blaming the guy that invented the internet
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:46 am

All about money

We should probably be blaming the guy that invented the internet
i think i’ll blame exxon et al.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of criticism about precisely what sort of info Facebook chooses to ban, versus what sort of info gets to stay (and often go viral)

A lot has to do with whether a page is set up as “political.” I wish I could find the article now, but a while back npr had a piece about how gun research groups kept having posts taken down about gun violence and statistics, cuz Facebook said they were “too political” in nature, even though the group and its page was otherwise apolitical and nonpartisan.

Meanwhile, pages that are registered as “political” get to say just about whatever they want. Dems is comin to take yall’s guns, immigrants is rapists, vaccines give you autism, Hillary has plus size ankles, etc.
Deleted User 89

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleeta ... 116d613f0a

The great promise of social media was that by giving voice to ordinary people all across the world, their collective experiences and expertise would help society reach a higher consciousness. Much as the web was bringing together the world of knowledge, social media would bring together our diverse perspectives and especially the vast wealth of uncodified human knowledge. The reality, as we all know, has been quite the opposite: a toxic cesspool of hate and stupidity, where the loudest and most obnoxious one wins and enlightened insight is overwhelmed by emotional sarcasm and toxicity...

...Adulthood is about spending the time to think before talking. Sadly, we are no longer content with spending even a few moments researching a question or verifying a fact...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Meh. In other words, social media make it possible for everyone to do what only columnists were formerly able to do.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 pm Meh. In other words, social media make it possible for everyone to do what only columnists were formerly able to do.
maybe columnists in the internet age, where “publishing” is just a click away

edit: covid in the internet (and more specifically social media) age has highlighted the notion that one’s ignorance isn’t as good as fact

the spread of misinformation is worse now than it’s ever been. it’s always been present, but has become ubiquitous
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, I think that's a problem. I do see a lot of problems and questions, but I'm not sure at all what the solutions are.

I believe like all things, you take the good with the bad, and all of this stuff has really just taken off, even faster than I think the tech industry even thought.
Deleted User 89

yep

i read an article years ago that posited that society was on the precipice of logarithmic tech growth

i mean, maybe...that’s a pleasant thought when thinking about disease, pollution, etc., but at what cost socially? (presuming it does come to fruition...i’m not convinced)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I struggle to believe the tech industry is sincerely that concerned about misinformation and the role they play in it.

Rather, I think tech considers misinformation to be an acceptable collateral damage that does not otherwise warrant actual independent oversight of their industry

I think some sort of such oversight could go a long way toward reigning it in. Tech has boomed during a period of lax regulation, and look what happened.

Or something.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whadya think Mark Zuckerberg views his own legacy to be?

How’s he going down in history?