Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by Sparko »

A tree sometimes grows to a certain height, then develops unsightly eccentricities. I have seen it in humans, Watson.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:31 pm smells kinda grifty
I’m quite pleased that it’s not even a very effective grift!

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/statu ... q_-8Yt1KMA

Or, he’s just a spoiled technocrat who no longer considers it worth his time to look into whether he can or can’t do something.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:39 pm It's pretty much lunacy to just trash the known brand at this point.
He changed the logo to a meme a few months ago for the LOLz.
Trash fire.
I keep thinking about this. And only expanding on the point you’re making well: Twitter has an entire pop culture LANGUAGE that it’s throwing away. It’d be like New Coke except, stealing a friend’s newsletter post, putting it in neon pink cans and calling it SpicyBrown.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

there’s also the copycat factor

i’ve heard a number of people say he’s trying to turn twitter into WeChat

both zuck and elon seem to have run out of creativity
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Obviously meant to be harsh but hard to deny there are some eyebrow raising things said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/24/media/tw ... index.html
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 am
pdub wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:39 pm It's pretty much lunacy to just trash the known brand at this point.
Trash fire.
I keep thinking about this. And only expanding on the point you’re making well: Twitter has an entire pop culture LANGUAGE that it’s throwing away. It’d be like New Coke except, stealing a friend’s newsletter post, putting it in neon pink cans and calling it SpicyBrown.
It's bigger than New Coke.
Twitter has a bigger valuation than that.
It'd be like Taco Bell getting sold, the owner getting rid of burritos and replacing them with calzones after pledging the new focus would be more authentic Mexican food, talking shit on the rest of the fast food industry, banning Pete Davidson, Nelly and Davante Adams from the stores permanently and renaming the chain to Ze.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ha. Right.

What a goddamn fool.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the malcontents should delete their tweeter accounts in protest.

i predict they will not.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:32 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 am
Trash fire.
It's bigger than New Coke.
Twitter has a bigger valuation than that.
It'd be like Taco Bell getting sold, the owner getting rid of burritos and replacing them with calzones after pledging the new focus would be more authentic Mexican food, talking shit on the rest of the fast food industry, banning Pete Davidson, Nelly and Davante Adams from the stores permanently and renaming the chain to Ze.
To date, I haven't seen that Twitter has changed much of anything in terms of the product itself. I still tap a little blue bird icon that is named Twitter on my phone and it still looks pretty much the same as before all this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Twitter has blocked threads to those who aren't logged on/don't have accounts.
At one point, you couldn't even read the initial post/tweet - now you can only read the initial post/tweet but none of the responses.
A Twitter search without being signed on does not work.

That is a major change in the product.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:56 am the malcontents should delete their tweeter accounts in protest.

i predict they will not.
I'd have to create one first.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A big twitter change that feral and I noticed is the search feature went to shit. It used to be the best among social media for searching current events and breaking news.

You could type a term or a hashtag and see discussions on it in real time. Now, it’s hard to find stuff via search, prob being throttled thru the algorithm, rather than just showing users what they’re looking for.

Also, I don’t even remember what my “feed” was prior, cuz I used to just use twitter to search for breaking news. But now, the entire feed is just goofy viral videos and shit.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if you bots can't cut and paste from the tweeter. wherever will you get your content.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I am left to wonder what Elon bought with his $44B? He got rid of the name, he got rid of the engineers and the team, he got rid of the major policies…….
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:21 pm I am left to wonder what Elon bought with his $44B? He got rid of the name, he got rid of the engineers and the team, he got rid of the major policies…….
He bought the right to do those idiotic things. And ruin how many lives/livelihoods in the process.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There was a person who had the handle @x.
Elon and crew just went up and added a long string of numbers to the end of it.
I'm hoping he got some sort of compensation and/or notice -- but i'm guessing not.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:54 am if you bots can't cut and paste from the tweeter. wherever will you get your content.
Thanks for copying and pasting Elon's description of why he claims to have made those changes. Well done.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:51 am There was a person who had the handle @x.
Elon and crew just went up and added a long string of numbers to the end of it.
I'm hoping he got some sort of compensation and/or notice -- but i'm guessing not.
The best part of that was Elon's description of things "that had happened" (or similar language) requiring the change.

No, you dipshit, you DID those things. They did not HAPPEN.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Speaking of protecting First Amendment rights.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/sta ... PzNG4aOfKQ