Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:50 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:19 am

Man, how did we, and perhaps in the majority of Trump voters in particular, become so divided?

“Who cares about our own best interests, or whether our candidate is a slime ball. Let’s just stick it to the other guys!”
For me, it started with Obama's "You didn't build that," as well as his habit of continually apologizing to other countries and cultures on my behalf without my permission. It finally dawned on me that "This guy and his party think I'm an inconsequential piece of filth and would prefer that I cease to exist." Changed my outlook forever.
Deplorable.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm Young online folks don't like Pete--and when did that become the largest Democratic voting block? Or one that actually goes to the polls?

Seems like just looking for a rationale for bashing Democrats. Fact is, from what I've seen on the ground, most Dems haven't made up their minds at all. At least Dem women, who are the ones that usually spend their time on all that mundane GOTV stuff.
Again an example of me being labeled as a far right conservative. I'm not bashing anyone, simply pointing out democrats bashing each other. I like Pete, unfortunately I dont think he will win the nomination.

Also, young online democrats are basically solely responsible for Andrew Yangs continued position in the race, not sure they are a huge bloc but most likely large enough to warrant consideration.
I have watched multiple interviews with Yang in the last few months. It is apparent that he has never worked in social services with low-income populations before. His insistence that a guaranteed $1,000 a month will not be a replacement for work but an incentive to keep working and move up the socioeconomic ladder is comical.

It will be another version of the current system where the money goes to buy cigarettes and cell phones and bills are paid through churches and community funds. Very few people are interested in working for a living anymore. They will milk the system until it dries up.

The question Yang never seems to answer is where that $1,000 a month will magically come from. His stock answer is “the wealthy,” but can’t explain how he will be able to accomplish that feat, much less how “wealthy” will be operationalized. I suspect such a program will be funded like everything else: more Federal debt and higher taxes on the middle class. I say no than you to both.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:49 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:41 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm I didn’t intend to presume I know what everyone else’s best interests are, nor am I quite sure how you took that away from my post.
“Who cares about our own best interests, or whether our candidate is a slime ball. Let’s just stick it to the other guys!”
How do you know that sticking it to the other guy isn't in their best interests (or eveyone's best interests, for that matter)?

If, for example, you plan to be a billionaire someday and don't want the government to tax your wealth (as opposed to your income), then having Trump "stick it" to EWarren seems to coincide with your interests.
Nothing is in everyone's best interests. It doesn't work that way.
Precisely. So, when faced with a choice between my best interests and your best interests, you’ll understand when I choose the former, right?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:52 pm
chiknbut wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:50 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 am

For me, it started with Obama's "You didn't build that," as well as his habit of continually apologizing to other countries and cultures on my behalf without my permission. It finally dawned on me that "This guy and his party think I'm an inconsequential piece of filth and would prefer that I cease to exist." Changed my outlook forever.
Deplorable.
Why I oughta...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:41 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm I didn’t intend to presume I know what everyone else’s best interests are, nor am I quite sure how you took that away from my post.
How do you know that sticking it to the other guy isn't in their best interests (or eveyone's best interests, for that matter)?

If, for example, you plan to be a billionaire someday and don't want the government to tax your wealth (as opposed to your income), then having Trump "stick it" to EWarren seems to coincide with your interests.
I don’t know that. Never said I did.

All I did was suggest some folks don’t care about their own best interests.

But if you feel so confident that I apparently know what’s best for everybody, hey, I’m flattered.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

There were no qualifiers in your op.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:48 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 am
I dont believe this has "a pretty decent chance" of happening again. I personally had very little desire to vote for Hillary Clinton but ultimately did due to my opposition to the obvious fraud running on the GOP side. A lot of people sat out as a direct reflection of their opposition to Clinton specifically.

None of the Dem candidates have the kind of baggage that came with Clinton. Everyone has issues but nothing even remotely close to rivaling what came along with Clinton.
I dont believe this has "a pretty decent chance" of happening again

This is why it does have a decent chance. The democrats are so sure that they will win that they aren't addressing the issues that lost the last election. They aren't acknowledging the needs of the middle of the road voter. You arent a middle of the road voter, you lean fairly decently left like most here. I'm middle of the road in reality but get painted as far right conservative here. That's a statement on the make up of the people on this site, not representative of the make up of the voter pool.
What would a middle of the road Dem candidate look like to you? Where would they stand on gun rights/abortion/immigration etc....?

What you describe sounds lovely but I have never heard an actual description of this mythical middle of the road Dem that would "meet your needs".
What I describe sounds lovely? I didnt describe anything.

As for where a middle of the road person stands you can probably deduce that for yourself. Or, maybe you cant and that's why this fairly large bloc of voters seems mythical to you.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm There were no qualifiers in your op.
Exactly.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm
I have watched multiple interviews with Yang in the last few months. It is apparent that he has never worked in social services with low-income populations before. His insistence that a guaranteed $1,000 a month will not be a replacement for work but an incentive to keep working and move up the socioeconomic ladder is comical.

It will be another version of the current system where the money goes to buy cigarettes and cell phones and bills are paid through churches and community funds. Very few people are interested in working for a living anymore. They will milk the system until it dries up.
So, you've made a living screwing over poor people, especially poor women, children, and people of color with your personal bias because it so angers you that, with your inferior podunk Bible college education and not terribly high intelligence, you can't command the income that you believe that one born in your level of privilege deserves.

Glad to see that you admit it. Shall we expect the "female addicts are all whores, even the suburban wives" lecture next?
Last edited by seahawk on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DC's right. The republican party has been ardently appealing to the racist/nativist/bigot/xenophobic demographic relentlessly for half a century, because it's a losing proposition, and doesn't work.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:27 pm DC's right. The republican party has been ardently appealing to the racist/nativist/bigot/xenophobic demographic relentlessly for half a century, because it's a losing proposition, and doesn't work.
And either way, it’s the Democrat’s fault.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:29 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:27 pm DC's right. The republican party has been ardently appealing to the racist/nativist/bigot/xenophobic demographic relentlessly for half a century, because it's a losing proposition, and doesn't work.
And either way, it’s the Democrat’s fault.
I'm so glad I could help.

I'm here to do just that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Somewhere I gotta tweet from dAviD fRUm that explains it all.

And he's cool now, right?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm Young online folks don't like Pete--and when did that become the largest Democratic voting block? Or one that actually goes to the polls?

Seems like just looking for a rationale for bashing Democrats. Fact is, from what I've seen on the ground, most Dems haven't made up their minds at all. At least Dem women, who are the ones that usually spend their time on all that mundane GOTV stuff.
Again an example of me being labeled as a far right conservative. I'm not bashing anyone, simply pointing out democrats bashing each other. I like Pete, unfortunately I dont think he will win the nomination.

Also, young online democrats are basically solely responsible for Andrew Yangs continued position in the race, not sure they are a huge bloc but most likely large enough to warrant consideration.
Actually, I didn't say anything about you being a far right conservative, but I did put that in-artfully. The online Left is about bashing Democrats almost as much or it seems at times more than Republicans.

But hey, I quite understand labeling, as I've had years and years of Psych calling me names, insisting that I'm "bitter and angry" and my worldview is some kind of insane feminist, when the rest of the world saw me mostly as Wife, bold, all caps, 72 pt.
Last edited by seahawk on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 pm Somewhere I gotta tweet from dAviD fRUm that explains it all.

You got a tweet frum where?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Steve Bannon.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pmSteve Bannon.
Rashida Tlaib
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 pm Somewhere I gotta tweet from dAviD fRUm that explains it all.

You got a tweet frum where?
Zackly.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

seahawk wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:14 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:57 pm

So, you've made a living screwing over poor people, especially poor women, children, and people of color with your personal bias because it so angers you that, with your inferior podunk Bible college education and not terribly high intelligence, you can't command the income that you believe that one born in your level of privilege deserves.

Glad to see that you admit it. Shall we expect the "female addicts are all whores, even the suburban wives" lecture next?
Do you ever actually read or think about what I say, or do you just launch into one of your pre-mixed lunatic screeds when you see that I've posted something. Please, get help. Seriously.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Steven Miller
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.