SCOTUS

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by KUTradition »

John Oliver takes the SCOTUS to task in his new episode
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

SCOTUS allows trump on ballot(s)

14th amendment judgement kicked to (a corrupt) congress
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Because they serve a party and not the constitution. States do have a right to determine basic qualifications.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 am Because they serve a party and not the constitution
i actually have little issue putting the onus on congress…if congress could be trusted
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:09 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 am Because they serve a party and not the constitution
i actually have little issue putting the onus on congress…if congress could be trusted
It was a unanimous decision.

It will be interesting to hear what Judge Luttig has to say.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Except the Constitution did not require it. For the record, Congress did declare in both houses by clear majority that Trump was an insurrectionist during impeachment. Which carries such a partisan lift of 2/3 Senate votes. The court should have decided the issue but punted it thinking they could avoid responsibility. This is exactly the opposite of Bush v. Gore.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 am

This was group cover and cowardice
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am SCOTUS allows trump on ballot(s)

14th amendment judgement kicked to (a corrupt) congress
So much for states' rights, eh?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:40 am
Except the Constitution did not require it. For the record, Congress did declare in both houses by clear majority that Trump was an insurrectionist during impeachment. Which carries such a partisan lift of 2/3 Senate votes. The court should have decided the issue but punted it thinking they could avoid responsibility. This is exactly the opposite of Bush v. Gore.
In a manner of speaking, yes.

In another manner of speaking, this is exactly the same as Bush v. Gore.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 am Because they serve a party and not the constitution. States do have a right to determine basic qualifications.
9-0
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:42 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 am

This was group cover and cowardice
LOL
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The fact Trumps political opponents attempted to do this is insane and as anti democratic as anything I've lived through in this country

There is a reason it was a 9-0 unanimous decision
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:32 am
Sparko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 am Because they serve a party and not the constitution. States do have a right to determine basic qualifications.
9-0
What point do you think this proves?

The conservative justices went against here - for whatever reason, or probably for a mix of reasons - what you and I would both consider to be traditionally-conservative principles.

The liberal justices didn't have the votes, and so of COURSE they're not going to put dissents out there that could later be used to undercut the relative power of Congress vis a vis the states.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:36 am The fact Trumps political opponents attempted to do this is insane and as anti democratic as anything I've lived through in this country

Me, I would consider trying to avoid the peaceful transfer of power to be significantly more anti-democratic than...checks notes...trying to enforce the Constitution as written.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:42 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:36 am The fact Trumps political opponents attempted to do this is insane and as anti democratic as anything I've lived through in this country

Me, I would consider trying to avoid the peaceful transfer of power to be significantly more anti-democratic than...checks notes...trying to enforce the Constitution as written.
^^^

Randy reminds us nearly every day why he supports a Piece of Shit like Trump.
Last edited by Shirley on Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:42 am

Trump did nothing violent. He questioned the results, same as democrats did in 2016.

That's why the court ruled unanimously. Just because the media repeats something a lot, doesn't mean that's how it actually happened. There is a reason the viewership of those media outlets drops every year. Most people see through the propaganda, maybe eventually you will too
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:40 am
9-0

In this case, a very simple one (and nothing more): that Sparky's knee-jerk reaction that this is a party-determined decision is patently and inarguably wrong on its face.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I get it you guys are upset that you couldn't get trump removed from the ballot.

Personally I don't think anyone should ever be removed from a ballot. That isn't how this country is supposed to work. Let the people decide. If someone truly did something worth being taken off a ballot, they'd never get elected by the people anyways
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:48 am I get it you guys are upset that you couldn't get trump removed from the ballot.

Personally I don't think anyone should ever be removed from a ballot. That isn't how this country is supposed to work. Let the people decide. If someone truly did something worth being taken off a ballot, they'd never get elected by the people anyways
So, if Obama had been born in Kenya after all...let the people decide?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:47 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:40 am
9-0

In this case, a very simple one (and nothing more): that Sparky's knee-jerk reaction that this is a party-determined decision is patently and inarguably wrong on its face.
Is there a reason you barbered my post in responding? Because if you think my analysis was wrong, tell me, and let's discuss.

I don't think it was: I think the side that had the votes exercised those votes politically (and inconsistent with their supposed ideological principles), and the side that did not have the votes exercised the votes it had pragmatically (and consistent with their supposed ideological principles).