Kids

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Kids

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:26 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:41 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:27 pm The omission of said [sport] makes me think it's like ballet dancing or chess.
"Not that anything is wrong with that." - Jerry Seinfeld.
Musical theater is very important to the Fish family, as you know.
I hope he can recover and you can see him in Wicked on Broadway instead of watching Bill Self win his fourth national championship.
Figured this would be the right place to let you know that I’ll be missing our game today for Disney on Ice.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:43 am

I hope he can recover and you can see him in Wicked on Broadway instead of watching Bill Self win his fourth national championship.
Figured this would be the right place to let you know that I’ll be missing our game today for Disney on Ice.
bad fan
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Im watching with a friend whom I have not seen a game with since the L in Sprint to Oregon. Previous to that was a regular season L.

We chose this game in advance to try and break the curse.

Enjoy Disney on Ice.
Hopefully we skate by with a W.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am Im watching with a friend whom I have not seen a game with since the L in Sprint to Oregon. Previous to that was a regular season L.

Enjoy Disney on Ice.
I’m sure I’ll be far from the only dad with a single, signal AirPod in.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im going to assume this is some sort of local KC lawyer getaway work event, meet anf greet and suggest you tell CnB hello for us.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:17 am
pdub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am Im watching with a friend whom I have not seen a game with since the L in Sprint to Oregon. Previous to that was a regular season L.

Enjoy Disney on Ice.
(I thought "Disney on Ice" was a continuation of the "Musical Theater" joke related to what sport your son is involved in...soccer.)

Just received an invitation for dinner from my daughter, (a KU grad), for next Sat. night at 6pm. At 6pm next Sat there will likely be ~ 5 minutes left in the KU game at Tx. WTAF? The dinner is in honor of someone who "doesn't like to eat late", and the reservation was almost made earlier.

Unlike you, Fish, I don't want to know what happened in the game until I can make it home and watch the game from wherever I had to stop it earlier.

My wife always used to say that our prenup had only two provisions:

-Feral gets to watch KU BB whenever they are on TV

-She got to invoke the "Retaliatory Spending Clause" whenever I spent a lot of money on something like a new mountain bike, etc.
Anand Giridharadas
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:39 am

Enjoy Disney on Ice.

-She got to invoke the "Retaliatory Spending Clause" whenever I spent a lot of money on something like a new mountain bike, etc.
I'm still riding my Gary Fisher (pre Trek), and, yes, I remember your problems with that brand. Glad you are still riding
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:38 am

Im going to assume this is some sort of local KC lawyer getaway work event, meet anf greet and suggest you tell CnB hello for us.
I would guess that every lawyer in Kansas City with a child between 2-12 years old will be going to at least one of the Disney on Ice shows, so if CnB has a kid in that range we may well be sharing the building.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Enjoy Disney on Ice.
(I thought "Disney on Ice" was a continuation of the "Musical Theater" joke related to what sport your son is involved in...soccer.)

Just received an invitation for dinner from my daughter, (a KU grad), for next Sat. night at 6pm. At 6pm next Sat there will likely be ~ 5 minutes left in the KU game at Tx. WTAF? The dinner is in honor of someone who "doesn't like to eat late", and the reservation was almost made earlier.

Unlike you, Fish, I don't want to know what happened in the game until I can make it home and watch the game from wherever I had to stop it earlier.

My wife always used to say that our prenup had only two provisions:

-Feral gets to watch KU BB whenever they are on TV

It's too complicated for me to try to avoid seeing a score, so I just embrace the spoil.

To each marriage its own, but I have found that I blow significantly less money than does Mrs. Fish. So I just bite my tongue on her nonsense (because she absolutely knows that she has no standing to criticize my own indulgences). It would end very badly for us if SHE felt she gets to spend on a retaliatory basis (or if I spent on a retaliatory basis).
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:38 am
To each marriage its own, but I have found that I blow significantly less money than does Mrs. Fish.
The lovely and talented Creamcheese has horses. I could live in Kardashian-esque opulence for a century and never catch up.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:57 am
To each marriage its own, but I have found that I blow significantly less money than does Mrs. Fish.
The lovely and talented Creamcheese has horses. I could live in Kardashian-esque opulence for a century and never catch up.
Christ almighty. Yep, you're safe.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's likely hard to appreciate all the expense unless you're paying it...

I hope your experience is different, but I had a couple in their late 30s who were both police officers and in very good shape and health who had horses, and it was hard to believe the # of injuries they both sustained related to their horses over the years.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We were both children of people who grew up during the depression so being disciplined with $ was like breathing for both of us from the time we first appreciated what $ was. Thankfully, in 27 years we never argued about $ once.

Mayonnaise? Yes.

Money? No.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:29 pm

I hope your experience is different, but I had a couple in their late 30s who were both police officers and in very good shape and health who had horses, and it was hard to believe the # of injuries they both sustained related to their horses over the years.
I don't ride -- because that would be cruel to a horse.

Amazingly, in more than a decade, Creamcheese has only had one incident, a concussion.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ramjet wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:35 am

I'm still riding my Gary Fisher (pre Trek), and, yes, I remember your problems with that brand. Glad you are still riding
Lol. I guess I was carrying a hatchet for Gary Fisher bicycles, wasn't I? Of course, as you know, that was after Trek. My last mt bike was/is a 2004 Santa Cruz Blur that I absolutely loved, and can't bear to get rid of. (It cost > $4,000 at the time, {fck, that's almost 20 years ago, shoot me} and was just the sort of thing to trigger the prenup retaliatory spending clause.)

Unfortunately, and I mean that very sincerely, I can't risk mt biking anymore. It turns out I'm a clotter and after the last episode with large blood clots in both lungs that nearly killed me, I started taking an anticoagulant, and can't risk falling and hitting my head...which happens a lot in mt biking. But, I have a Surly Long-Haul Trucker and a Yeti cyclocross bike from back when they used to make them, to ride on the road.

Do you ride much?
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:35 pm
We were both children of people who grew up during the depression so being disciplined with $ was like breathing for both of us from the time we first appreciated what $ was. Thankfully, in 27 years we never argued about $ once.

Mayonnaise? Yes.

Money? No.
That's because Miracle Whip >>>> Mayonnaise
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:46 pm
Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:29 pm

I don't ride -- because that would be cruel to a horse.

Amazingly, in more than a decade, Creamcheese has only had one incident, a concussion.
Are you certain you know what she means when she says that she's "going to see the horse"? As in, you've actually seen it? Because this couple had multiple injuries and fractures over the years-ribs, collar bone, skull, and those are only the ones I can remember.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:48 pm
Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:35 pm

Mayonnaise? Yes.

Money? No.
That's because Miracle Whip >>>> Mayonnaise
I grew up on Miracle Whip, but thought I was moving up when I converted to the real thing. No?
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:54 pm Are you certain you know what she means when she says that she's "going to see the horse"? As in, you've actually seen it? Because this couple had multiple injuries and fractures over the years-ribs, collar bone, skull, and those are only the ones I can remember.
As long as Japhy's out in the sticks in Colorado, I think I can trust her.

Injuries, I assume, are a function of a rider's "discipline" -- i.e. which sport they ride.

Barrell racing, Hunter-Jumper, etc. probably result in a helluva lot more injuries than Western pleasure or dressage.

We had a long talk before she started riding: NO jumping! I'm waaay too much of a dick to raise the kids on my own. She was fine with that, since she didn't want to jump anyway.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

No doubt. I think they were involved in rodeo riding, as I recall.
Anand Giridharadas