KD to Brooklyn?

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: KD to Brooklyn?

Post by ousdahl »

the other "new talent" point does seem at least valid enough to mention. Who knows how that (mostly) young group of guys'll compete.

last year:

Ingram 18ppg
Ball 10ppg
Hart 7.8ppg
Redick 18.1ppg
Favors: 11.8 ppg

The Pelicans scored an average of 115ppg last year, good for 3rd best in the league. Memphis was the worst at 103.5ppg.

Not that these stats are worth much, and they could certainly change, but just to score as much as the worst scoring team in the league last year would mean the Pelicans need 38 or so ppg from Zion and some other rookies.

(Coincidentally, the Pelicans and Grizzlies were both 33-49 last year. like I said, dunno if these stats are worth much)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It’s a young Timberwolves feel.

Didn’t make the playoffs until they snagged Butler.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Honestly, they should try and move Holiday, see what they have in Lonzo, lose a bunch of games and draft RJ Hampton.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:17 pm Honestly, they should try and move Holiday, see what they have in Lonzo, lose a bunch of games and draft RJ Hampton.
I don't think you need to move Holiday yet.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Did Durant do enough in his 3 years to warrant having his Jersey retired in Oakland? I know he had 2 finals mvps...but...I mean. Hmm.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2 finals mvps is pretty rare territory
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:39 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:29 pm Holiday - 29, things usually go downhill from here.
Redick - 35, enough said.
Ingram - 3rd best player on most playoff teams
Zion - wild card
Favors - borderline starter on every NBA team not named the Hornets

Ball - wild card
The rest is filler on every team.

They have some building blocks for the future, but this squad wasn't any good last year even with Anthony Davis. The Suns won 19 games last season and I don't hate their squad any more than I do the Pelicans. It's really about what you believe Zion (and Ball) are going to be this upcoming season.
Holiday averaged 21pts and 7.7 assists a game last year. The list of NBA players to average 20+ points and 7+ assists last year are Holiday, D'Angelo Russell and Russell Westbrook. That's it. And Westbrook is a year older than Holiday.

34 year old Redick averaged a career high 18 ppg in a nearly career high 31.3mpg last year. Seems to be hanging in there just fine.

I'd expect Ingram to be the 3rd beat player on NO behind Holiday and Zion next year. Which is fine.

Not sure why anyone thinks Zion is a wildcard. Aggressive baller who can score and rebound. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me doubt he wont be a good NBA player other than that I hate Duke.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see New Orleans fighting for a playoff spot. The bottom tier of playoff teams just aren't very good.
Well the Pelicans weren't very good at all last year, even with Anthony Davis. They were never in the playoff picture, even with Anthony Davis. Do we really feel that this roster is going to be that much better than the Anthony Davis-led Pelicans last year?

I don't find my take that controversial.
They have what, 2-3 players left from last year? What difference does it make how they did last year? It's an entirely new rotation.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

How many players in NBA history have two finals MVP and two NBA titles that don’t have their number retired?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:39 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Holiday averaged 21pts and 7.7 assists a game last year. The list of NBA players to average 20+ points and 7+ assists last year are Holiday, D'Angelo Russell and Russell Westbrook. That's it. And Westbrook is a year older than Holiday.

34 year old Redick averaged a career high 18 ppg in a nearly career high 31.3mpg last year. Seems to be hanging in there just fine.

I'd expect Ingram to be the 3rd beat player on NO behind Holiday and Zion next year. Which is fine.

Not sure why anyone thinks Zion is a wildcard. Aggressive baller who can score and rebound. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me doubt he wont be a good NBA player other than that I hate Duke.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see New Orleans fighting for a playoff spot. The bottom tier of playoff teams just aren't very good.
Well the Pelicans weren't very good at all last year, even with Anthony Davis. They were never in the playoff picture, even with Anthony Davis. Do we really feel that this roster is going to be that much better than the Anthony Davis-led Pelicans last year?

I don't find my take that controversial.
They have what, 2-3 players left from last year? What difference does it make how they did last year? It's an entirely new rotation.
Not entirely new. But the rotation looks worse than a team that couldn’t sniff the playoffs.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The pelicans are not coming close to a playoff spot anytime soon. The Redick signing and trading away the forth pick makes no sense.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 pm How many players in NBA history have two finals MVP and two NBA titles that don’t have their number retired?
Probably just Kawhi now.

I dunno just seems like usually more of a loyalty and longevity and career thing.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, as rare as a 2x finals mvp is, it might be even rarer for it to happen in 3 years then peace out.

Beaver thinks Durant is bitter that the dubs pushed him to come back so soon from his calf injury, which likely contributed to his torn Achilles.

I dunno. I’d hope that Durant was/is also the kind of competitor who would wanna come back. And besides, he was still cleared by doctors either way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This finals kinda sucked tho, just in the sense they were/are defined more than anything by injury.

For every replay we’ve seen of Kawhi making some sweet play, we’ve seen how many more replays of Durant and/or Klay getting hurt?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:24 am Yeah, as rare as a 2x finals mvp is, it might be even rarer for it to happen in 3 years then peace out.

Beaver thinks Durant is bitter that the dubs pushed him to come back so soon from his calf injury, which likely contributed to his torn Achilles.

I dunno. I’d hope that Durant was/is also the kind of competitor who would wanna come back. And besides, he was still cleared by doctors either way.
jfish has the best cross-sport comparison of Durant I've heard.

He's an odd guy/athlete/competitor whose talent can match anyone's in history.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:24 am Beaver thinks Durant is bitter that the dubs pushed him to come back so soon from his calf injury, which likely contributed to his torn Achilles.
I think this would have more truth if rumors weren't flying around as earlier as December that he was gone because he hates Draymond and he got called a bitch.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 pm How many players in NBA history have two finals MVP and two NBA titles that don’t have their number retired?
I mean, Shaq has his retired in Miami.

But, so does Dan Marino...
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm Well again they were not a playoff contender even with him. Not close (which is another discussion about why AD could be another LeBron GM move). 56 games is 70% of the season.

Also, Julius Randle statistically dwarfs everyone they acquired this offseason and Lonzo still hasn't put up a season as good as Elfrid Payton.

This team could end up being really bad.
They could very well end up being bad. Nothing makes me think they will be better than a .500 team.
There are people alluding to last season for their feeling this season will be bad - worse than last season. It very well might be but I still am trying to figure out what last season has to do with this season.
Those who feel it does might then ask themselves what the Pelicans 2017/2018 season had to do with the 2018/2019 season.

NBA has become a shit show. Has been for years but this off-season is going to stand out. The NBA is almost as bad as NCAA Basketball in terms of player movement/retention.
Hard to be loyal to a player these days when they leave at the drop of a hat. Hard to be loyal to a team that decides they aren't going to even try. Both are too prevalent in today's NBA.
That's all this old man has to say on the subject.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:24 am Beaver thinks Durant is bitter that the dubs pushed him to come back so soon from his calf injury, which likely contributed to his torn Achilles.
I think this would have more truth if rumors weren't flying around as earlier as December that he was gone because he hates Draymond and he got called a bitch.
Oh yeah, that’s a good point.

Kinda makes you wonder how Durant will do with Kyrie “Mr. Congeniality himself” Irving.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Meh, today you have fans of teams, fans of players and then fans of the sport. I have no long time location-based allegiance to any one team as I did not grow up in an area that has a team. Do I have to be a Kings fan cause they used to be in KC? I hope not.

I just like good basketball and there is a ton of that out there right now. Lots of great young talent in the league and lots of competitive teams out there. I am excited for next year, it should be fun to follow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am
Oh yeah, that’s a good point.

Kinda makes you wonder how Durant will do with Kyrie “Mr. Congeniality himself” Irving.
It's crazy! Durant couldn't coexist with Russ. Not sure why Kyrie will end up any different. He's just older and less good.