Down Ballot: Who You Got?

Ugh.
Deleted User 62

Re: Down Ballot: Who You Got?

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:27 pm yeah, but the article also says coal barely employs 5000 people statewide any more.

So, Trump didn't actually save coal?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am the article says Mitch was super unpopular in KY, until he aligned himself with Trump.

It doesn't say for how long he was unpopular though, cuz he apparently has been reelected over and over.

"the biggest swamp creature of them all" seems befitting.

but dunno whether it was his personality, or the culture of the GOP generally, that ushered in his win-at-all-costs sort of approach. maybe it's chicken and egg.
I vote:

"...the culture of the GOP generally..."
Selfish, self centered scum for my entire life.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

The Lincoln Project move on to down ballot.

What you gonna do, Mitch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

sdoyel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:10 am Love me some voter suppression!

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1261 ... 44451?s=21
‘Cuz voter fraud is preferable, right?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Wait, aren't you the one always saying that the elderly and those with underlying conditions should just lock themselves away and let the healthy folks like you have the world to yourselves? Are you suggesting that voting is different--they should have to go risk their lives to vote?

You're the same guy who whined because you're offended that out of 13 pages of threads on the Off Topic forum, there is one about religion that offends you? But wishing your fellow citizens to die is not offensive? Somehow I didn't ever get that notion as particularly Christian.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I always vote by mail. It's easy.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:21 pm I always vote by mail. It's easy.
Do you cheat?
Deleted User 310

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:47 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:21 pm I always vote by mail. It's easy.
Do you cheat?
No

I'm not even sure how you can?
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

The “voter fraud” for mail in ballots hysterical Agenda 30 folks can’t prove a thing because it doesn’t happen to any degree that moves a needle. Tin foil hats people.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:08 pm The “voter fraud” for mail in ballots hysterical Agenda 30 folks can’t prove a thing because it doesn’t happen to any degree that moves a needle. Tin foil hats people.

Did you check with Geezer before you used his term? I'm pretty sure it's copyrighted, and I'm very sure he's the litigious type, especially where comedy gold is concerned.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Fraud, which is, indeed, rare, is also not the only concern with mail-in ballots.

LiNk:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 43033.html

Between 2012 and 2018, 28.3 million mail-in ballots remain unaccounted for, according to data from the federal Election Assistance Commission. The missing ballots amount to nearly one in five of all absentee ballots and ballots mailed to voters residing in states that do elections exclusively by mail.

States and local authorities simply have no idea what happened to these ballots since they were mailed – and the figure of 28 million missing ballots is likely even higher because some areas in the country, notably Chicago, did not respond to the federal agency’s survey questions. This figure does not include ballots that were spoiled, undeliverable, or came back for any reason.

...there is no evidence that the millions of missing ballots were used fraudulently....

There’s little doubt that as the number of mail-in ballots increases, so does fraud. A 2012 report in The New York Times noted that voter fraud involving mail-in ballots “is vastly more prevalent than the in-person voting fraud that has attracted far more attention, election administrators say. In Florida, absentee-ballot scandals seem to arrive like clockwork around election time.” According to a Wall Street Journal report on voter exploitation in Hispanic communities in Texas, mail-in ballots have “spawned a mini-industry of consultants who get out the absentee vote, sometimes using questionable techniques.” Poor, elderly, and minority communities are most likely to be preyed upon by so-called ballot “brokers.”

Concerns about fraud in mail-in ballots were serious enough that a 2008 report produced by the CalTech/MIT Voting Technology Project recommended that states “restrict or abolish on-demand absentee voting in favor of in-person early voting.”

“The convenience that on-demand absentees produces is bought at a significant cost to the real and perceived integrity of the voting process,” the report added. “On the face of it, early voting can provide nearly equal convenience with significantly greater controls against fraud and coercion.” Similarly, another academic study done in 2008 from Reed College flagged various concerns related to absentee voting and conceded there is a “great deal of literature on turnout” but when it comes to mail-in ballots there is “a dearth of research on campaign effects, election costs, ballot quality, and the risk of fraud.”
Deleted User 310

When they say they "remain unaccounted for" is that only referring to ballots that the voter sent back in or does in include ballots they sent out that never came back (possibly because the people didn't fill them out and send them back?)?

Just curious if that's specified somewhere. Not disputing your article.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

It's not my article. It's Mark Hemingway's. It may mean they were thrown away, got lost in the mail, were sent/forwarded to incorrect address, any number of things. And I highlighted the fraud part, because there is NO evidence that the fact that they're missing is related to fraud. It just means they can't be accounted for.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm It's not my article. It's Mark Hemingway's. It may mean they were thrown away, got lost in the mail, were sent/forwarded to incorrect address, any number of things. And I highlighted the fraud part, because there is NO evidence that the fact that they're missing is related to fraud. It just means they can't be accounted for.
That’s kind of like assuming that missing children who were never found are all living idyllic lives with other families somewhere. It’s possible, but highly unlikely given the world we live in.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm It's not my article. It's Mark Hemingway's. It may mean they were thrown away, got lost in the mail, were sent/forwarded to incorrect address, any number of things. And I highlighted the fraud part, because there is NO evidence that the fact that they're missing is related to fraud. It just means they can't be accounted for.
That’s kind of like assuming that missing children who were never found are all living idyllic lives with other families somewhere. It’s possible, but highly unlikely given the world we live in.
It's not like that at all.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 pm
It's not like that at all.
It is absolutely like that.