Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:18 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:36 am
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 am

I don't buy this....but easy way to discredit something you don't agree with because impossible to prove either way.
Really? You think a point guard averaging 7/7 on 41% shooting at, like, Clemson is gonna be on the watch list? I don't.
Is Clemson a top 10 team? Top 5 for much of the year so far. A likely 1 or 2 seed?
You're...making my point for me. He would not be on this list if he was not playing for an elite program that is on track for a high seed.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:30 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:36 am

Really? You think a point guard averaging 7/7 on 41% shooting at, like, Clemson is gonna be on the watch list? I don't.
Is Clemson a top 10 team? Top 5 for much of the year so far. A likely 1 or 2 seed?
You're...making my point for me. He would not be on this list if he was not playing for an elite program that is on track for a high seed.
No, he would not be on this list if he wasn't a really good PG on a top 10 team.

It's not because it is "Kansas". Sorry. Not buying it. Otherwise the UNC guard would be on it too. They're an elite program. Ranked highly.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I get it. You want to discredit DH being a Cousy award top 10 finalist, and say the words Self says about DH are just bullshit "coach speak", because you don't agree.

That's fine. I disagree with you. I agree with the people who get to vote on the Cousy list, as well as our HoF HC Bill Self. Why does Jay Bilas need to lie about how good DH is? Why do other head coaches need to lie about how good DH is?

You guys need scoring PGs to feel comfortable. That's cool. I love the Frank and Devonte types more than facilitating PGs too....but we don't have any of those lately.

And DH has something neither of those 2 have....a championship. So there's that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:32 am

No, he would not be on this list if he wasn't a really good PG on a top 10 team.

It's not because it is "Kansas". Sorry. Not buying it. Otherwise the UNC guard would be on it too. They're an elite program. Ranked highly.
I feel like you're trying to split an extremely narrow hair here.

Harris came into this season with a very good reputation. My opinion is that he is coasting on that reputation, and our team/program visibility and success. My opinion is that his reputation/perception are WAY out in front of his production this season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:19 am Lol.
I still think he's a top 15 point guard!
I just think RJ Davis and Mark Sears are better than he is and I think that Cousy award list is a bit of a joke.

My guess is he lands on the All B12 2nd team when he should probably be on the 3rd bc of the things that JFish mentioned. Still a lot of season left -- Harris has just underwhelmed for what I expected from him ( for me ).
What's frustrating is that he's supposed to be this "he doesn't make dumb mistakes and takes care of the ball" guy but you can pencil him in for 2 WTF passes that had zero chances of being anything but a live ball turnover a game. And he also blows a few defensive assignments a game as well where you just wonder if he is trying to get taken out. He has definitely regressed this yea, which is crazy when you added Mickelson to the team. That we're still having bad pass angle into the post turnovers at this point is mind boggling.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:35 am I get it. You want to discredit DH being a Cousy award top 10 finalist, and say the words Self says about DH are just bullshit "coach speak", because you don't agree.

That's fine. I disagree with you. I agree with the people who get to vote on the Cousy list, as well as our HoF HC Bill Self. Why does Jay Bilas need to lie about how good DH is? Why do other head coaches need to lie about how good DH is?

You guys need scoring PGs to feel comfortable. That's cool. I love the Frank and Devonte types more than facilitating PGs too....but we don't have any of those lately.

And DH has something neither of those 2 have....a championship. So there's that.
I'm not discrediting anything; good for him for being on the list. It's a testament to his play, particularly last year. It's certainly a testament, also, to team/program success, and the work we do to promote our guys.

But his presence on the list does not make up for what has been an extremely disappointing season from him. That's all I'm saying - I just don't want to hear this list as evidence that he's been good. He has not.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:38 am

I feel like you're trying to split an extremely narrow hair here.

Harris came into this season with a very good reputation. My opinion is that he is coasting on that reputation, and our team/program visibility and success. My opinion is that his reputation/perception are WAY out in front of his production this season.
We disagree.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:41 am That's all I'm saying - I just don't want to hear this list as evidence that he's been good. He has not.
A lot of experts, including Bill Self, disagree.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

You don't get to say "this isn't evidence" just because it hurts your case.

It's absolutely evidence.

(And I agree, there is evidence to support your claims as well....just to be clear)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:44 am You don't get to say "this isn't evidence" just because it hurts your case.

It's absolutely evidence.
Ok. It's evidence. But it's not compelling evidence.

Him being on a midseason watch list does not in any way change that he has had, to date, an extremely disappointing season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:41 am That's all I'm saying - I just don't want to hear this list as evidence that he's been good. He has not.
A lot of experts, including Bill Self, disagree.
Look at the depth chart. What's Bill supposed to say?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Self has no problem saying negative things about his teams and players.

I think he lies to the media a whole lot less than some of you seem to think.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:56 am Self has no problem saying negative things about his teams and players.

I think he lies to the media a whole lot less than some of you seem to think.
I think this is overdramatic; I don't think Bill is LYING.

I think Bill (rightly!) believes Harris is a very good point guard (even if he has not played as well as Bill knows he can), and Bill believes (based on his knowledge of the player and the rest of the team/roster) that positivity is the best way through.

And it's probably the ONLY way through; if Bill comes out and says, "fuck, guys, he's shooting 10% worse on twos this year than last year, and the turnovers are killing us," well that's not good either.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s the problem with this list.
The UNC guard who could even sneak into a 1st AA list is not on it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I get it. You want to discredit DH being a Cousy award top 10 finalist, and say the words Self says about DH are just bullshit "coach speak", because you don't agree."

"You guys need scoring PGs to feel comfortable."

"And DH has something neither of those 2 have....a championship. So there's that."

So much straw in this thread, thank god I don’t have allergies.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:14 am

That’s the problem with this list.
The UNC guard who could even sneak into a 1st AA list is not on it.
Is it because he's a shot chucker? Not enough assists?

I would like to know what the rationale is for who gets on and who doesn't.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't know who is choosing this award or why.
All I know is that RJ Davis is an actual legit Naismith candidate ( Harris is most certainly not a legit candidate ) and has no. 3 UNC at 9-0 and atop the ACC.
He would easily be on my list of top 10 point guards in the country.

It's a massive oversight.

https://twitter.com/NaismithTrophy/stat ... 2943402058
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, we might want to mention Braden Smith.
12.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 7.0 APG, 46.3% FG. 1.5 SPG.
Purdue no. 2 in the country.

Harris.
7.2 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 6.9 APG, 41.4% FG, 1.7 SPG.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Stats are a horrible barometer for who's a better point guard
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randy's eye test!