Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Post by MICHHAWK »

assuming hd and km get back healthy. timberlake should not see the floor again this season. both mcdowell and jackson should be first off the bench before timberlake.

i am done with timberlake.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He'll be back next season and starting.
No one on our roster is going to replace him.
No freshman recruit we have coming in will either.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

furphy stinks too. but what are we gonna do. we have to start 5.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am
To me, it is clear that Harris gets dragged into winning more than he drags others ahead. He is a high-end backup. He looked feeble and helpless among scrubs last night, and that just should not happen. Our offense looked like there were pebbles in our gas tank all year, and that just should not happen.
This is articulated better than I apparently could. Really fish’s whole post, but particularly this paragraph.

I’m just not sure what good it does to pencil in a known commodity 6th year upperclassman multi-year starter lead guard for major minutes AGAIN next year, when we know he’s just not good at the things that you should be able to expect an upperclassman multi-year starter lead guard to do.

Yeah it sucks to face adversity like injured stars, or even adversity just being down a couple possessions in crunch time, but the antidote to adversity is a seasoned leader in the lineup, and perhaps a seasoned lead guard leader specifically.

But instead of looking seasoned, and displaying the poise you should be able to expect, Dajuan has shown he’s vulnerable to looking just as rattled as the new guys out there.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I think maybe his cap hit isn’t too bad for the boosters.

Unfortunately, his production (and influence of production) seems to cap the team much lower than usual.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Why do we consider Self such a good coach if the messageboard posters are better at evaluating talent and deciding what makes us better as a team?

I mean, for some of you to understand the ins and outs of our roster better than Self, without watching practice or knowing the plays, is impressive!

How did we win a national title with him at PG. He's no good. Makes us worse.

We need a hero baller who isn't afraid to chuck shots. A real floor general.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 am I think we're conflating some issues, so I'm not responding to anyone in particular here.

I think Bill learned the wrong lesson from '22 - I think the lesson is that to whatever degree Harris is useful, he NEEDS an attacking guard (a Diet Sherron/Tyshawn/Frank/Devon-type, like what Remy finally emerged to be). A sniper like Devonte or Mario would work, too.

But what we needed to be pointed toward was a Russ/Mario/Sherron scenario, where depending on what was happening maybe Harris would be on the bench in winning time.

To me, it is clear that Harris gets dragged into winning more than he drags others ahead. He is a high-end backup. He looked feeble and helpless among scrubs last night, and that just should not happen. Our offense looked like there were pebbles in our gas tank all year, and that just should not happen.

Nobody here is in a position to know, but EITHER Bill has tried and failed to replace him (like Bill did with his spiritual predecessor Naadir), or his apparent entitlement to minutes/role has kept guys from even coming.
In today's college basketball universe, Sherron would transfer-out after his Freshman year because he wouldn't want to come off the bench his Sophomore year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If this was more of like a 2019 situation, where the problem was largely one of youth, but you could at least see the developmental potential there with Devon, I’d feel a little more optimistic about next season.

But Dajuan is literally one of the most experienced guards KU has ever had
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Not everyone turns into Steph Curry after 5 years in college unfortunately.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm Not everyone turns into Steph Curry after 5 years in college unfortunately.
Most players at least turn into much better versions of themselves. I still think we're sort of paying the price for Frank and Devonte here, to a degree.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We won a title with dajuan because he stayed out of the way of the more talented players and played his limited role well

Unfortunately, this year's team wasn't built like that
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:25 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 pm Not everyone turns into Steph Curry after 5 years in college unfortunately.
Most players at least turn into much better versions of themselves. I still think we're sort of paying the price for Frank and Devonte here, to a degree.
I think DH has gotten quite a bit better since he got here. The fact his career 3pt % is still near 40% after the sample size expanded significantly is evidence of that. He's gotten stronger too. Defensive understanding and feel is through the roof.

But I get it. If the preference is for scoring from all 5 spots he's never going to be everybody's cup of tea. I see the value is having a player who gets 7 or 8 assists a game. And if he could score 15pts a game and get 7 or 8 assists per game then he'd be an NBA player.

I don't think Self loves him for no reason. And I think if we had guys better than him then Self would play the player who was better.

But, having DHs and Kjs definitely makes it harder to recruit those positions.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:20 pm We won a title with dajuan because he stayed out of the way of the more talented players and played his limited role well

Unfortunately, this year's team wasn't built like that
Correct.

I think Self sees tremendous value in having a veteran or two that understand the plays and where everyone is supposed to be. The DHs and Kjs help the new guys acclimate. In the era of endless roster turnover, you're nuts if you think our results would be better without DH the last few years.

I think Self is struggling with the new era of building rosters now that players can transfer freely (as they should be allowed to be).

I think Self needs to focus a lot more on getting shooters and less on these raw athletes. Even though he's great at developing them if they hang around.

Next year, same thing. Athletes, but not shooters. Which some years is fine. But not when your preference is DH and Kj as 2/5ths of the starting 5 and both 30min per game guys.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

If we had 4 players in court around him that could score and create their own space, DH would be invaluable. As it stands, he represents a ceiling rather than raising one.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:33 pm If we had 4 players in court around him that could score and create their own space, DH would be invaluable. As it stands, he represents a ceiling rather than raising one.
And that is 100% Bill Self's fault.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

This roster and team is 100% Self’s fault. I’m sure he’d be the first to own that.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think dajuan has gotten a ton better over his career. But and the end of the day he can only improve and not transform into a type if player he isn't
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

All these people bitching about self is wild.
Do any of you watch the nba? We see this every season, where a team will sign some good players that on paper look like a contender. But once the season starts, the team gets exposed for having some pieces that don't quite fit together. Add some injuries to that, and here we are
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this isn't the NBA, nor is it supposed to be. There's a reason the NBA isn't very much fun to follow (for me anyway)
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this isn't the NBA, nor is it supposed to be. There's a reason the NBA isn't very much fun to follow (for me anyway)
Just Ledoux it