No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by TDub »

yknow our government is really not much more than a very powerful mafia family really.

You making money here? good, give me my taste, I'll take my cut.

you want protection and rights upheld? good for you, pay me for the protection and pay me for those rights? want to have an unlicensed unregistered business? sorry, no rights.

You don't wanna pay me my cut? Not getting my taste? Fuck you, go to jail (kneecap breakers) for tax fraud.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://x.com/nypost/status/17352233856 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign ‘could not sell p—y on a troop train,’ husband Bill lamented according to new book
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://x.com/nbcnews/status/1733864299 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

Hillary Clinton’s role in President Biden's re-election campaign is expected to grow in the new year.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hilary and uncle. how do you not vote for that.

just. wow.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

out with comma'la. in with hilary.

keeps getting better.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 pm out with comma'la. in with hilary.

keeps getting better.
How DO you choose whose names to intentionally misspell? It's a real mystery.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

keeps getting better.
Imagine if you weren't perpetually wrong.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Sparko wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:58 pm

keeps getting better.
Imagine if you weren't dumb
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Well, yeah.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

WTAF was something having anything to do with a bunch of fucking traitors doing there in the first place? GTFO!

Judge...allows removal of Confederate memorial at Arlington Cemetery

The statue, designed to represent the American South and unveiled in 1914, features a bronze woman, crowned with olive leaves, standing on a 32-foot (9.8-meter) pedestal. The woman holds a laurel wreath, plow stock and pruning hook, and a biblical inscription at her feet says: “They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks.”

Some of the figures also on the statue include a Black woman depicted as “Mammy” holding what is said to be the child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war.

Defend Arlington, in conjunction with a group called Save Southern Heritage Florida, has filed multiple lawsuits trying to keep the memorial in place. The group contends that the memorial was built to promote reconciliation between the North and South and that removing the memorial erodes that reconciliation.

Tuesday’s hearing focused largely on legal issues, but Alston questioned the heritage group’s lawyers about the notion that the memorial promotes reconciliation.

He noted that the statue depicts, among other things, a “slave running after his ‘massa’ as he walks down the road. What is reconciling about that?” asked Alston, an African American who was appointed to the bench in 2019 by then-President Donald Trump.

Alston also chided the heritage group for filing its lawsuit Sunday in Virginia while failing to note that it lost a very similar lawsuit over the statue just one week earlier in federal court in Washington. The heritage groups’ lawyers contended that the legal issues were sufficiently distinct that it wasn’t absolutely necessary for Alston to know about their legal defeat in the District of Columbia.

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, who disagrees with the decision to remove the memorial, made arrangements for it to be moved to land owned by the Virginia Military Institute at New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in the Shenandoah Valley.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: A tweet that was lame and stupid to begin with, but got even worse over time.

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I started writing this when the score was Oregon 7, Liberty 0, 3 hours ago. Then I worked on my bike, and now it's Oregon 38, I mean, 45, Liberty 6.

As someone who whose reflex reaction to all competitive situations, athletic and otherwise, seems to be to root for the underdog, all other things being equal, once I figured out Oregon was playing THE Liberty University, the one founded by evangelical "Christian" and "Moral Majority" chief propagandist Jerry Falwell, in the VRBO Fiesta Bowl, "reflexes" are welcome to go fuck themselves.

As if we didn't already know what utter, blatant hypocrites the Christo-Fascist "religious right" always was and continues to be, David French makes it painfully vivid in the NY Times opinion piece below. (I could very easily go on, but I'll spare you.)

Oct. 22, 2023 The Worst Scandal in American Higher Education Isn’t in the Ivy League

David French

Those of us who write about higher education can pay too much attention to America’s elite universities. Schools like Harvard, Yale and Stanford are seen as virtual cultural superpowers, and the battle over these schools is sometimes seen as a proxy for battles over the future of the country itself. It’s not that this argument is wrong, exactly. That’s why I’ve written about these schools myself. But it’s incomplete.

In rightly ascribing importance to the Harvards of the world, we can forget that other schools in other contexts also exercise immense influence, and their virtues and flaws can sometimes be more consequential than anything that happens in the Ivy League.

In fact, I’d argue that the moral collapse at Liberty University in Virginia may well be the most consequential education scandal in the United States, not simply because the details themselves are shocking and appalling, but because Liberty’s misconduct both symbolizes and contributes to the crisis engulfing Christian America. It embodies a cultural and political approach that turns Christian theology on its head.

Last week, Fox News reported that Liberty is facing the possibility of an “unprecedented” $37.5 million fine from the U.S. Department of Education. The department has been investigating violations of the Clery Act, a federal statute that requires federally funded colleges and universities to publicly report data about campus crime. To put that number into perspective, consider that Michigan State University paid $4.5 million for its own “systemic failure” to respond to the infamous Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal, in which Nassar was convicted of sexually abusing dozens of women in his care. While Liberty’s fine is not yet set, the contents of a leaked Education Department report — first reported by Susan Svrluga in The Washington Post — leave little doubt as to why it may be this large.

The report, as Svrluga writes, “paints a picture of a university that discouraged people from reporting crimes, underreported the claims it received and, meanwhile, marketed its Virginia campus as one of the safest in the country.” The details are grim. According to the report, “Liberty failed to warn the campus community about gas leaks, bomb threats and people credibly accused of repeated acts of sexual violence — including a senior administrator and an athlete.”

A campus safety consultant told Svrluga, “This is the single most blistering Clery report I have ever read. Ever.”

If this was the only scandal at Liberty, it would and should be a national story. But it’s not the only scandal. Far from it. I’ve been following (and covering) Liberty’s moral collapse for years, and the list of scandals and lawsuits plaguing the school is extraordinarily long. The best known of these is the saga of Jerry Falwell Jr. Falwell, a former president of the school and a son of its founder, resigned amid allegations of sexual misconduct involving himself, his wife and a pool boy turned business associate named Giancarlo Granda.

Falwell is nationally prominent in part because he was one of Donald Trump’s earliest and most enthusiastic evangelical supporters. Falwell sued the school, the school sued Falwell, and in September Falwell filed a scorching amended complaint, claiming that other high-ranking Liberty officers and board members had committed acts of sexual and financial misconduct yet were permitted to retain their positions.

But that’s not all. In 2021, ProPublica published a comprehensive, gut-wrenching report describing how Liberty mishandled claims of sex abuse and sex harassment on campus and used its strict code of conduct, the Liberty Way, against victims of sex abuse. If, for example, victims had been drinking or engaged in any other conduct prohibited by Liberty policies, those details in their sex abuse complaints could be used against them in school disciplinary proceedings.

Liberty has faced a series of lawsuits related to those claims, and last year it settled one of those cases. Throughout these controversies, Liberty has responded by denying many of the worst allegations against it. Liberty claims, for example, that the Education Department’s preliminary report is marred by “significant errors, misstatements and unsupported conclusions.” It has also acknowledged “historic gaps in compliance” with the Clery Act and says it is making material changes on campus, including spending millions to upgrade campus security and reviewing and enhancing its Title IX procedures.

I know that there are people who will read the accounts above and be angry. They can’t believe a Christian institution could fail its students, the church and the nation so profoundly. Others will read and grow angry for a different reason. The scandals above are only a partial description of the problems at Liberty. They’ll actually think I let the campus off easy.

But there’s another group that will be angry as well — at yet another attack on an evangelical institution in a powerful secular newspaper. That anger, though, is a key part of the problem with the American church, and it’s a problem that no less a Christian figure than the apostle Paul identified almost 2,000 years ago.

In his first letter to the Corinthian church (or, as Trump might say, One Corinthians), he issued a ferocious denunciation of sexual immorality inside the church. In chapter five, he says that he’s heard of misconduct “of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate.” He’s condemning an act of incest within the church, but if you read the accounts of incidents at Liberty, you’ll read stories of gross misconduct that Christians and non-Christians alike should and do find utterly abhorrent.

The chapter continues in an interesting way. Paul demonstrates ferocious anger at the church’s internal sin, but says this about those outside the congregation: “What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. ‘Expel the wicked person from among you.’”

Not every Christian institution is rocked by scandal, and there are many Christian colleges that are healthy and vibrant, led by men and women of integrity. Yet as we witness systemic misconduct unfold at institution after institution after institution, often without any real accountability, we can understand that many members of the church have gotten Paul’s equation exactly backward. They are remarkably tolerant of even the most wayward, dishonest and cruel individuals and institutions in American Christianity. At the same time, they approach those outside with a degree of anger and ferocity that’s profoundly contributing to American polarization. It’s also perpetuating the corruption of the church.

Under this moral construct, internal critique is perceived as a threat, a way of weakening American evangelicalism. It’s seen as contributing to external hostility and possibly even the rapid secularization of American life that’s now underway. But Paul would scoff at such a notion. One of the church’s greatest apostles didn’t hold back from critiquing a church that faced far greater cultural or political headwinds — including brutal and deadly persecution at the hands of the Roman state — than the average evangelical can possibly imagine.

Why? Because he realized the health of the church wasn’t up to the state, nor was it dependent on the church’s nonbelieving neighbors. Liberty University is consequential not just because it’s an academic superpower in Christian America, but also because it’s a symbol of a key reality of evangelical life — we have met the enemy of American Christianity, and it is us.
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if I was stranded on a deserted island. with absolutely nothing else to do. I would not read all that.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:28 pm if I was stranded on a deserted island. with absolutely nothing else to do. I would not read all that.
Without information, you are stranded on a desert island
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:28 pm if I was stranded on a deserted island. with absolutely nothing else to do. I would not read all that.
Some kind of white trash morse code?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The next time a malignant narcissist runs for president, would it be too much to ask that we pass, if for no other reason than how old it is to have Trump dominating the news cycle all day, every day?

tia
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:41 pm The next time a malignant narcissist runs for president, would it be too much to ask that we pass, if for no other reason than how old it is to have Trump dominating the news cycle all day, every day?

tia
I wouldn’t worry.

Once Trump gets re-elected, we will only have one news source.

Him.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:06 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:41 pm The next time a malignant narcissist runs for president, would it be too much to ask that we pass, if for no other reason than how old it is to have Trump dominating the news cycle all day, every day?

tia
I wouldn’t worry.

Once Trump gets re-elected, we will only have one news source.

Him.
Off the Constitutionally mandated X platform
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

thank god mich assured us all that the pubs had moved on from donny
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?