Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What a fucking moron. I tell ya what Don The Deal Maker. I'll agree to fund your wall and I'll throw in a wall along our entire northern border if you agree to buy Greenland and relocate your base of supporters there.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Is this a horrible idea? If it werent solely driven by the desire to plunder its resources I would say acquiring Greenland isnt a horrible idea.

Truman tried to buy it from Denmark in 1946
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm genuinely curious about why this would be a horrible idea that only a fucking moron would make. Maybe that's accurate, I honestly don't know, but it doesn't seem like a terrible thing. As long as we dont destroy it completely looking for petrol and gold.
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

What's horrible is that the news media loves Donald Trump so much and fears their loss of ratings so much that they're unwilling to expose how far he is in dementia and how much gibberish he speaks routinely and we have to depend on foreign folks like the Danes to point out how far gone he is.
Don't inject Lysol.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 am I'm genuinely curious about why this would be a horrible idea that only a fucking moron would make. Maybe that's accurate, I honestly don't know, but it doesn't seem like a terrible thing. As long as we dont destroy it completely looking for petrol and gold.
The only reason to buy it is to destroy it in search of resources. It has no other significant value.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

seahawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 am What's horrible is that the news media loves Donald Trump so much and fears their loss of ratings so much that they're unwilling to expose how far he is in dementia and how much gibberish he speaks routinely and we have to depend on foreign folks like the Danes to point out how far gone he is.
He doesn't strike me as having dementia as much as simply being completely uneducated about every single topic he speaks on. He takes pride in his lack of preparation and knowledge.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I've read some pretty extensive descriptions by someone who is a physician that treats brain injured patients who has thought that Trump was in early stages of dementia. Recently I've been driving a lot, and have listened to him while driving and he seems to be rambling, with more non sequiturs than usual, in a way that says "dementia" to me. I can't describe the precise differences between his normal speech patterns and this, but I heard him just this week and thought "OMG, isn't anyone around him doing anything about this?"

And wondered why the news media overlooks it, when any gaffe by anyone else--and I'm not talking just Biden, all kinds of top officials--gets incredible coverage.

There's something about hearing him only and not seeing the whole weird persona that gave me pause.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

There is a finite amount of land. They're not making more of it (in fact, with climate change it could be argued that there will be less of it). So, if land is available it warrants at least a cursory investigation into the acquisition. Of all the things that you could call trump a fucking moron about I think this ranks pretty low on the list. But, hey, never miss an opportunity to knee jerk.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

seahawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12 am I've read some pretty extensive descriptions by someone who is a physician that treats brain injured patients who has thought that Trump was in early stages of dementia. Recently I've been driving a lot, and have listened to him while driving and he seems to be rambling, with more non sequiturs than usual, in a way that says "dementia" to me. I can't describe the precise differences between his normal speech patterns and this, but I heard him just this week and thought "OMG, isn't anyone around him doing anything about this?"

And wondered why the news media overlooks it, when any gaffe by anyone else--and I'm not talking just Biden, all kinds of top officials--gets incredible coverage.

There's something about hearing him only and not seeing the whole weird persona that gave me pause.
Bernie shows signs of dementia as well.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:15 am There is a finite amount of land. They're not making more of it (in fact, with climate change it could be argued that there will be less of it). So, if land is available it warrants at least a cursory investigation into the acquisition. Of all the things that you could call trump a fucking moron about I think this ranks pretty low on the list. But, hey, never miss an opportunity to knee jerk.
Land is only valuable and desired if it is useful. Seeing little value in establishing a community on a melting island of ice doesn't seem "knee jerk" to me.

There's a reason that a country of 836,000 square miles only has a population of 55,000 people (about the same as Manhattan, KS), making it the lowest density of population of any country on earth; because there is no reason to live there.

But since Trump is destroying the environment so well that when Greenland's ice all melts in a few years then maybe it will have good grazing pastures pretty soon and it will have value and Trump Greenland will be a popular golf resort.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:15 am There is a finite amount of land. They're not making more of it (in fact, with climate change it could be argued that there will be less of it). So, if land is available it warrants at least a cursory investigation into the acquisition. Of all the things that you could call trump a fucking moron about I think this ranks pretty low on the list. But, hey, never miss an opportunity to knee jerk.
I agree with this. 1st, it ain't gonna happen. The only reason to go after is oil, gas and mineral rights. NPR had a bit this morning regarding melting ice opening up the northwest passage. This also exposes new land that is rich in oil, gas and rare earth minerals.

Currently, there is a moratorium on opening new fishing grounds until agreements can be made regarding how to manage it. I imagine that won't hold long.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

There is a tweet for everything.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

May have to take back what I said earlier about the news media. They just reported that in Trump's speech last night he repeated himself several times and didn't seem to remember that he'd done so.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Denmark Offers to Buy U.S.

After rebuffing Donald J. Trump’s hypothetical proposal to purchase Greenland, the government of Denmark has announced that it would be interested in buying the United States instead.

“As we have stated, Greenland is not for sale,” a spokesperson for the Danish government said on Friday. “We have noted, however, that during the Trump regime, pretty much everything in the United States, including its government, has most definitely been for sale.”

“Denmark would be interested in purchasing the United States in its entirety, with the exception of its government,” the spokesperson added.

A key provision of the purchase offer, the spokesperson said, would be the relocation of Donald Trump to another country “to be determined,” with Russia and North Korea cited as possible destinations.

If Denmark’s bid for the United States is accepted, the Scandinavian nation has ambitious plans for its new acquisition. “We believe that by giving the U.S. an educational system and national health care, it could be transformed from a vast land mass into a great nation,” the spokesperson said.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

This thread started with a quote from Molly Jong-Fast. Her latest is:

Trump is doing for Greenland what he did for Frederick Douglass.
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“The difference between Trump and Greenland is that Greenland is not for sale”