No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:10 pm Whatever they're doing now isn't working that great. I'm all for trying something different.
I say fire them all and start over again with honest men and women.
Can you name a single (1) person who you feel is "honest" that you feel would be a good politician?
I might be able to name a few but my guess is they would have little to no interest in getting in to a historically dishonest "business".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:47 pm If true, and it's hard to believe it isn't, what a scum bag:

Sen. Bob Menendez and wife indicted on bribery charges; DOJ seizes gold bars and $500,000

(Disclaimer: We aren’t going to have rallies, protests and GoFundMe legal defense fund pages for Bob Menendez. We aren’t going to sell ‘Free Bob’ hats and shirts. We aren’t going to make rap videos for him. We aren’t going to try and defund the prosecutor.

Because, we aren’t Republicans.)

New Jersey Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez was charged on Friday with corruption-related offenses for the second time in 10 years.

Menendez and his wife, Nadine Arslanian Menendez, are accused of accepting “hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes” in exchange for the senator’s influence, according to the newly unsealed federal indictment.

Prosecutors allege the bribes included gold, cash, home mortgage payments, compensation for a “low-or-no-show job” and a luxury vehicle.

This is the second set of corruption charges levied against Menendez by the Justice Department in a decade. He previously fought off conspiracy, bribery and honest services fraud related to alleged personal favors.

Menendez is up for reelection next year. He has been in the Senate since 2006.

Senate Democratic Caucus rules will force Menendez to step aside as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, but he can still serve on the panel.

Menendez slammed the indictment in a statement.

...In the indictment, prosecutors accuse Menendez of trying to sway the president’s choice of the top federal prosecutor in New Jersey to benefit one of the business associates and to pressure the Department of Agriculture to protect a business monopoly another contact had from Egypt.

The Department of Agriculture in 2019 had contacted Egypt to object to it giving Menendez’s contact, Hana, monopoly rights related to supplying halal meat to the US.

Yet Hana met Menendez in his office along with others, including an Egyptian intelligence official, in May 2019, asking for help fending off the US agency’s opposition. The group went to a Washington, DC, steakhouse for dinner that evening, the indictment said.

Two days later, Menendez allegedly called an Agriculture Department official, asking them to stop opposing Hana’s venture.

“When Official-1 attempted to explain why the monopoly was detrimental to U.S. interests, MENENDEZ reiterated his demand, in sum and substance, that the USDA stop interfering with IS EG Halal’s monopoly. Official-1 did not accede to MENENDEZ’s demand, but IS EG Halal nevertheless kept its monopoly,” the indictment said.

Searches turned up $500,000 in cash and more

According to the indictment, searches of Menendez’ home and safe deposit box that federal agents conducted in 2022 turned up nearly $500,000 in cash, including in envelopes inside jackets emblazoned with Menendez’s name.

Prosecutors say some of the envelopes had the fingerprints or DNA of one of the business contacts from whom the senator is accused of taking bribes.

The federal investigators who searched Menendez’s home also found a “luxury vehicle paid for by [Jose] Uribe parked in the garage,” as well as home furnishings from other business contacts and gold bars.

[...]
But... I want his mug shot on my coffee cup
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 am
Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:47 pm If true, and it's hard to believe it isn't, what a scum bag:

Sen. Bob Menendez and wife indicted on bribery charges; DOJ seizes gold bars and $500,000

(Disclaimer: We aren’t going to have rallies, protests and GoFundMe legal defense fund pages for Bob Menendez. We aren’t going to sell ‘Free Bob’ hats and shirts. We aren’t going to make rap videos for him. We aren’t going to try and defund the prosecutor.

Because, we aren’t Republicans.)

New Jersey Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez was charged on Friday with corruption-related offenses for the second time in 10 years.

Menendez and his wife, Nadine Arslanian Menendez, are accused of accepting “hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes” in exchange for the senator’s influence, according to the newly unsealed federal indictment.

Prosecutors allege the bribes included gold, cash, home mortgage payments, compensation for a “low-or-no-show job” and a luxury vehicle.

This is the second set of corruption charges levied against Menendez by the Justice Department in a decade. He previously fought off conspiracy, bribery and honest services fraud related to alleged personal favors.

Menendez is up for reelection next year. He has been in the Senate since 2006.

Senate Democratic Caucus rules will force Menendez to step aside as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, but he can still serve on the panel.

Menendez slammed the indictment in a statement.

...In the indictment, prosecutors accuse Menendez of trying to sway the president’s choice of the top federal prosecutor in New Jersey to benefit one of the business associates and to pressure the Department of Agriculture to protect a business monopoly another contact had from Egypt.

The Department of Agriculture in 2019 had contacted Egypt to object to it giving Menendez’s contact, Hana, monopoly rights related to supplying halal meat to the US.

Yet Hana met Menendez in his office along with others, including an Egyptian intelligence official, in May 2019, asking for help fending off the US agency’s opposition. The group went to a Washington, DC, steakhouse for dinner that evening, the indictment said.

Two days later, Menendez allegedly called an Agriculture Department official, asking them to stop opposing Hana’s venture.

“When Official-1 attempted to explain why the monopoly was detrimental to U.S. interests, MENENDEZ reiterated his demand, in sum and substance, that the USDA stop interfering with IS EG Halal’s monopoly. Official-1 did not accede to MENENDEZ’s demand, but IS EG Halal nevertheless kept its monopoly,” the indictment said.

Searches turned up $500,000 in cash and more

According to the indictment, searches of Menendez’ home and safe deposit box that federal agents conducted in 2022 turned up nearly $500,000 in cash, including in envelopes inside jackets emblazoned with Menendez’s name.

Prosecutors say some of the envelopes had the fingerprints or DNA of one of the business contacts from whom the senator is accused of taking bribes.

The federal investigators who searched Menendez’s home also found a “luxury vehicle paid for by [Jose] Uribe parked in the garage,” as well as home furnishings from other business contacts and gold bars.

[...]
But... I want his mug shot on my coffee cup
Let’s say you’re a corrupt Democrat politician.

Let’s say your level of corruption could broadly be described as “Would have been the biggest story in the news for a month in 2003.”

Let’s say there are folks on the other side - a former and wannabe-future President in particular - who are responding to finally being accountable for their many crimes by decrying selective prosecution, weaponization of DOJ, etc.

Maybe - MAYBE - you take your chips off the damn table.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Won't matter. There is no shame and no self awareness.

I just want my coffee mug
Defense. Rebounds.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:00 am
JKLivin wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:10 pm Whatever they're doing now isn't working that great. I'm all for trying something different.
I say fire them all and start over again with honest men and women.
Can you name a single (1) person who you feel is "honest" that you feel would be a good politician?
I might be able to name a few but my guess is they would have little to no interest in getting in to a historically dishonest "business".
No, I can’t, which is why I’m about done with the whole enterprise. We, as a nation and a culture, are pretty much done.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Abe looks pretty good with no dress code.

https://x.com/stepfaniex/status/1704320 ... 77935?s=20
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

mjl2 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:51 am Abe looks pretty good with no dress code.

Indeed he does.

These guys look pretty good too but not really an original look.

Jeff Epstein look.

Alfred E. Newman look.

Andy Reid look.

Pat Riley look.

Coach Pop / Obi Wan look.

Leo Messi look.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:51 am Abe looks pretty good with no dress code.

Hilarious.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I tried. But, I'm too weak. I couldn't watch the republican debate.

The second question in the debate tonight went to Vivek, and after ~ 2 sentences into his answer, I realized I have too much self-regard to choose to watch it any longer. Where did they find this lunatic? How can anyone with any grasp of reality, no matter how tenuous, listen to what comes out of Vivek's mouth and not recoil?

Listening to him and thinking there's any group of people who eat that shit up makes me lose respect for mankind. smh

I was about to say that the one and only thing I can say in his favor is that he's "articulate", but he's not coherent, so I can't:

articulate - having or showing the ability to speak fluently and coherently.
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I think Haley and Burgum have been really good. Especially Haley. At least in terms of appealing to me.

Vivek is probably doing best with the base.

Scott seems ruined by his handlers. So many of the political insiders completely don't understand what people want.

It's hilarious that they keep going after China, and they cut to a commercial, and it's a TikTok commercial.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Mrs l overheard the Haley-Scott battle and commented "This sounds like Dance Moms"
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I know I already said it but I really thought Haley was fantastic.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I caught a few minutes, and couldn't bring myself to watch any more.

Vivek's hairdo tonight was so...like, Eddie Munster crossed with Kramer? or something.

Pence recited a few scripted lines - "Biden doesn't belong in the picket line, he belongs in the unemployment line!" - that all just seemed to fall flat.

DeSantis is so awkward when trying to posture as a normal human being. Hell, they all are.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:36 pm
Pence recited a few scripted lines - "Biden doesn't belong in the picket line, he belongs in the unemployment line!"
Please tell me this was followed by a snare drum roll and cymbal?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 pm
Pence recited a few scripted lines - "Biden doesn't belong in the picket line, he belongs in the unemployment line!"
It was a Jeb Bush "please clap" moment, as he paused for ovation, which, after an awkward silence, the audience decided to be polite and give a half hearted applause. I cringed so hard I nearly fell off the treadmill.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:12 pm
Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 pm
It was a Jeb Bush "please clap" moment, as he paused for ovation, which, after an awkward silence, the audience decided to be polite and give a half hearted applause. I cringed so hard I nearly fell off the treadmill.
Perfect
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:14 pm I know I already said it but I really thought Haley was fantastic.
^^^

Definitely regret not watching the debate
Anand Giridharadas