Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
DeletedUser

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by DeletedUser »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 am One thought, a lot of homes are built by small businesses, folks like comrade Defix. For a small business there is less risk in building one $2.5M home under contract than there is building 25 spec homes for $100k each. There are 25X as many things that can get fucked up and cost them money. It's the same calculus that makes me prefer working on a $175M project for Zygi Wilf than a housing project for the KCMO Housing Authority. I have comrades who depend on the paycheck I sign every two weeks to feed their families and pay their mortgages.

And as pointed out, most housing policy changes in the last decade or two have been geared towards reducing the cost and risk for the lower end of the market.
As a builder you also can't get financing for 25 spec homes, or at the very least it's more difficult and at a higher rate to reflect the enhanced risk of speculative building.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 am
japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 am One thought, a lot of homes are built by small businesses, folks like comrade Defix. For a small business there is less risk in building one $2.5M home under contract than there is building 25 spec homes for $100k each. There are 25X as many things that can get fucked up and cost them money. It's the same calculus that makes me prefer working on a $175M project for Zygi Wilf than a housing project for the KCMO Housing Authority. I have comrades who depend on the paycheck I sign every two weeks to feed their families and pay their mortgages.

And as pointed out, most housing policy changes in the last decade or two have been geared towards reducing the cost and risk for the lower end of the market.
As a builder you also can't get financing for 25 spec homes, or at the very least it's more difficult and at a higher rate to reflect the enhanced risk of speculative building.
When the Comrades of the Revolution take over the banks they will fix that. Viva la Revolucion!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:45 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 pm

Which "US policies" are you referring to?
Whichever policies have created this much housing insecurity in the otherwise wealthiest and most resource-abundant nation in the history of history?
Like many other things, "housing" tends to cycle, some people think on an ~ 18 year basis. (You can look it up!)

The cycle is a combination of market forces and government policies. You put the blame on "US policies", but apparently have no idea what "policies" you mean, other than "government bad!*". That's intellectually lazy.

*Who knew you were a deeply closeted Reaganite?

(Although that does explain a number of things...)
Might have to respond to more in this thread later when I have more time. But for now, holy shit this post.

The “intellectually lazy” part here is you trying to put some “government bad” words in my mouth. If I did say that, please go ahead and quote me where I did. If not, then please realize this is you just going for yet another gaslight.

(Spoiler alert! You can’t quote that cuz I never said it!)

If anything, I think government is good, as long as government is enacting policies that actually help the working class and people at large, rather than government mostly just serving the interests of capital.

Now, fuck Reagan! Good and hard! I cannot stress that enough! He’s one of the biggest stains on this nation, and so much has gone to shit since.

I’m tempted to even suggest that you, Shirley, have FAR more in Reagan at this point than I do. But I’m concerned that might be a little gaslighty in itself, which, of course, would make me no better than you.

For real, if you want to insult me, try to keep it more vague, and just go for some sophomoric zinger like I’m talking out of my ass or something.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So, which policies exactly are we talking about?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you know, the ones that facilitate the big bad gov’t getting one over on q

those ones
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Maybe it’s the lack of policies, then?

Awful funny of you guys to mock housing insecurity tho. It’s hilarious. Belly laughs all around.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 pm Awful funny of you guys to mock housing insecurity tho.
Is that your new moniker, Comrade Housing Insecurity?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:35 am And yet, if I did post here about any “effort” toward anything, tdub would whine about that too.

It’s also pretty cynical or something to imply I need to point to some specific “policies” to convince you guys that maybe the housing situation and homelessness in this country is a little fucked up.
There's that word again, "effort".

I have given you examples of what has been done in Pagosa Springs, in Salida and now we are working towards something in the Tartarian Empire. Explain to me why those models don't apply to the Frasier valley? What efforts have you and the comrades made to try and copy proven models for bringing affordable housing to Colorado?
I don’t recall the examples from Pagosa or Salida off the top of my head, but if they were able to come up with policies that mitigate housing insecurity, good for them.

Yes, they just might apply in Fraser too.

The prob is, I don’t have comrades. I’m a loner who is crippled by anxiety and depression, and can barely keep my own life together, let alone organize on behalf of an entire community.

Is that a good answer?

Meh who cares.

Now quick, go mock me in the tinder thread some more!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:02 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 pm Awful funny of you guys to mock housing insecurity tho.
Is that your new moniker, Comrade Housing Insecurity?
If I organize a protest in Fraser to speak up about housing insecurity, you gonna come?

You’re welcome to crash on my floor space btw.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:03 pm The prob is, I don’t have comrades. I’m a loner who is crippled by anxiety and depression, and can barely keep my own life together, let alone organize on behalf of an entire community.

Is that a good answer?
It sounds honest, that's a good start for real conversation.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ah so we've come to the poor me portion of the spiral? I'm trying to follow along in the handbook.
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:05 pm
If I organize a protest in Fraser to speak up about housing insecurity, you gonna come?
Hell no, I have already staked my claim to affordable/equitable Colorado and started work on making a difference where I feel it is most needed. The Empire is the poorest place in Colorado.

Defix offered to loan you a hammer a few pages back and I'm pretty sure he can teach you how to use it. We aren't loners and we have comrades. I have introduced you to some of them. You wouldn't live in a rich dude's posh basement in the Empire, but you also won't have anyone asking you to clean their hot tub either.

The ball, as always, is in your court.